wheel bearing

More
22 Oct 2012 09:53 - 23 Jan 2013 00:57 #555144 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic wheel bearing
never mind - error
Last edit: 23 Jan 2013 00:57 by martin_csr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
24 Oct 2012 21:45 #555637 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic wheel bearing
as i put the old bearing back in i also had a spare set of EBC brake pads that just happen to fit all around the bike 2 disks in the front and one in the back. :woohoo: . the old ones are not too shabby but somewhat low.

so with the break-in period for the brake pads listed on the package- ie- go easy on them through town for xxx amount of miles, does that have any leeway if i only replaced one side?

I usually downshift on the freeway or use the back brake while turning, so i have replaced the back one twice and the front ones hardly get used.

also i know i am going to need a new brake master cylinder for the front, as one of the screws was stripped and it was my fault as i was drilling and prying i had to glue it on to keep it from leaking.
so long story summarized i have more meat on the brakes and more brake fluid is in the master cylinder without ventilation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
25 Oct 2012 03:40 #555682 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic wheel bearing

donthaveakawman wrote: thanks for the heads up i will try to find a more suitable tool for next time, some sort of socket?

Yes a large socket can be used,if you can find a shop in your area that builds/rebuilds large cat construction equipment see if they have an old collection of differant size intake and exhuast valves theyre tossing out.
They come in handy for driving many differant sizes bearings/seals B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
More
25 Oct 2012 03:42 #555683 by wireman

donthaveakawman wrote:

Attachment 76574_235118956615381_1259832115_n.jpg not found

i don't know if it was that many miles since the last oil change or what, any help would be nice.

Looks like a trip odometer on the bottem to me anyway,try pushing in the little black button and see if it resets to zero B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
More
25 Oct 2012 03:53 #555684 by wireman

donthaveakawman wrote: as i put the old bearing back in i also had a spare set of EBC brake pads that just happen to fit all around the bike 2 disks in the front and one in the back. :woohoo: . the old ones are not too shabby but somewhat low.

so with the break-in period for the brake pads listed on the package- ie- go easy on them through town for xxx amount of miles, does that have any leeway if i only replaced one side?

I usually downshift on the freeway or use the back brake while turning, so i have replaced the back one twice and the front ones hardly get used.

also i know i am going to need a new brake master cylinder for the front, as one of the screws was stripped and it was my fault as i was drilling and prying i had to glue it on to keep it from leaking.
so long story summarized i have more meat on the brakes and more brake fluid is in the master cylinder without ventilation.

Find a big empty parking lot and practice using your front brakes more,they have a lot more power than the rear brake for slowing you down. B)

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
25 Oct 2012 22:40 #555780 by donthaveakawman
bigger than a 1 1/16 and smaller than a 30mm

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
25 Oct 2012 22:42 #555781 by donthaveakawman

wireman wrote:

donthaveakawman wrote: as i put the old bearing back in i also had a spare set of EBC brake pads that just happen to fit all around the bike 2 disks in the front and one in the back. :woohoo: . the old ones are not too shabby but somewhat low.

Find a big empty parking lot and practice using your front brakes more,they have a lot more power than the rear brake for slowing you down. B)

it seems like the front ones are useful for stop lights anyways, that way i am not balancing on one leg.

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
25 Oct 2012 22:43 - 25 Oct 2012 22:45 #555785 by donthaveakawman

wireman wrote:

donthaveakawman wrote:

Attachment 76574_235118956615381_1259832115_n.jpg not found

i don't know if it was that many miles since the last oil change or what, any help would be nice.

Looks like a trip odometer on the bottem to me anyway,try pushing in the little black button and see if it resets to zero B)

wierd/weird( i before e except after c, but i am still being spellchecked :angry: now it is spell checking spell-checked) how the speedometer goes to 85, but the tach just keeps going. :S
Last edit: 25 Oct 2012 22:45 by donthaveakawman.

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
01 Nov 2012 21:10 #556720 by donthaveakawman
I re greased the caliper moving parts the reason i put thread-locker on the bearings before is one of the cir-clips broke but is still usable, Martin CSR you were right should have greased them for installation. whatever they're paying you, i can tell them to double it.

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
01 Nov 2012 21:12 #556721 by donthaveakawman
< spins in computer chair with cat on lap and says " No JB Weld i expect you to die" followed shortly with laughter then the cat ripping into his face with sharp, dirty claws.

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
04 Nov 2012 17:07 #557040 by donthaveakawman
i was going to write that the inner round thing that goes between the bearings and around the axle had a cone shaped retainer to keep it in place.... but quantum of solace just came on tv so i will keep that to myself.

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
04 Nov 2012 23:04 #557069 by donthaveakawman
With the amount of grease to repack those things and taking into consideration that they were probably original, The new ones don't need to be repacked. I should replace the back ones also.