New frame?

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Sep 2012 16:34 #550428 by mtbspeedfreak
New frame? was created by mtbspeedfreak
Just thinking out loud here... what's preventing someone from going to a metal fabrication shop with their Z1 frame and bracing kit and saying "make me a new one of these with chromoly"?

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
23 Sep 2012 16:58 #550434 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic New frame?
Im already on it,once i get these bracing kits and this current frame im doing finished im going shopping for a nice mandrel tubing bender. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Sep 2012 17:02 #550435 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic New frame?

wireman wrote: Im already on it,once i get these bracing kits and this current frame im doing finished im going shopping for a nice mandrel tubing bender. B)

Mark me down as customer #1! Instead of "metal fabrication shop," I was tempted to write "wireman's shop." B)

2000 ZRX 1100

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Sep 2012 17:02 #550436 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic New frame?
To be legal, all you'd really have to do would be to tack the front of the steering tube, where the VIN is, to the front of the new frame, right?

2000 ZRX 1100

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
23 Sep 2012 17:14 #550437 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic New frame?
Im already working on that also,Im planing a really beefy steering head thats basically same size top/bottem to help stiffen the steering head area even more then have your factory frame number from title stamped into it.
Of course we'll have to grind the welds off your frame and remove the steering head and scrap it so theres no issues with the number on 2 differant frames,but Id make it so a new head cut be slipped right back on yours if need be B)
I bought a chunk af 1/4" wall thickness tubing yesterday on my metal/material run just for this purpose,I might even have one made for this frame Im currently doing if it can be made quick enough to show how it will look when done B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.