Replacement callipers for kz650

More
15 Jul 2012 07:53 #536017 by Minus32
Replacement callipers for kz650 was created by Minus32
Looking to replace the callipers for something a bit more modern. The bike is a rear drum version, so will be looking to change the swing arm and wheel to go disc. Fitting rear sets too, so the master cylinder won't be a problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

1977 KZ650 American Import - A Street Tracker in the making...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2012 09:28 #536027 by OneShoe50
Replied by OneShoe50 on topic Replacement callipers for kz650
When I did my update, I bought a 80 KZ750E for $100 so I could have all the pieces (swingarm, wheel, axle, caliper, etc.) and kept it all Kawasaki.

I have seen alot of guys use the GSXR swingarm and the ZX6 front end, provides plenty of upgraded, newer brakes.

Good luck.

77 KZ1000A1 - Under going a psuedo ELR overhaul
79 KE175 (gone)
81 KZ550A2 (gone)
81 KZ750E (gone)

Sure it looks OK now, but wait until I really make it pretty, with some chrome and paint and some new tires and grips and the wiring. Don't forget the gearing, and the LED's and, and, and....

More
15 Jul 2012 18:12 #536136 by Minus32
Replied by Minus32 on topic Replacement callipers for kz650

OneShoe50 wrote: When I did my update, I bought a 80 KZ750E for $100 so I could have all the pieces (swingarm, wheel, axle, caliper, etc.) and kept it all Kawasaki.

I have seen alot of guys use the GSXR swingarm and the ZX6 front end, provides plenty of upgraded, newer brakes.

Good luck.

Thanks. I thought about the USD forks etc, but want to retain a classic look and avoid turning it into a street fighter type project. I may yet just refurbish the stock twin callipers up front and locate myself a disc back end set up. I never actually rode the bike before stripping it, so info on the stock front end would be useful. As in, are they good enough as stock? The bike won't be ridden hard and the engine will remain stock.

More
15 Jul 2012 18:32 #536146 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Replacement callipers for kz650

Minus32 wrote:

OneShoe50 wrote: When I did my update, I bought a 80 KZ750E for $100 so I could have all the pieces (swingarm, wheel, axle, caliper, etc.) and kept it all Kawasaki.

Good luck.

Thanks. I thought about the USD forks etc, but want to retain a classic look and avoid turning it into a street fighter type project. I may yet just refurbish the stock twin callipers up front and locate myself a disc back end set up. I never actually rode the bike before stripping it, so info on the stock front end would be useful. As in, are they good enough as stock? The bike won't be ridden hard and the engine will remain stock.

I'd recommend getting a set of caliper rebuild kits and a master cylinder rebuild kit , as well as braided stainless steel lines .

I have a single front disc and rear drum on my KZ900. I recently rebuilt the caliper and master cylinder and installed SS hoses - great improvement!

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
15 Jul 2012 19:26 #536156 by Minus32

mtbspeedfreak wrote:

Minus32 wrote:

Good luck.

I'd recommend getting a set of caliper rebuild kits and a master cylinder rebuild kit , as well as braided stainless steel lines .

I have a single front disc and rear drum on my KZ900. I recently rebuilt the caliper and master cylinder and installed SS hoses - great improvement!

I'll go with the full refurb and braided hoses then, before making a costly decision to buy new callipers. Thanks for the info pal.

More
15 Jul 2012 19:30 #536157 by mtbspeedfreak

Minus32 wrote:

mtbspeedfreak wrote:

Minus32 wrote:

Good luck.

I'll go with the full refurb and braided hoses then, before making a costly decision to buy new callipers. Thanks for the info pal.

No prob! That's what the forum is for. Just a slight word of caution though, Z1 Enterprises is having problems with their website. A new version is supposed to be online later today (Sunday the 15th). If you're in a rush to get the rebuild kits, send an email to any of the following email addresses with your year and model information and they'll hook you up.

customerservice@z1enterprises.com - for questions / inquires about your order and for returns

technical@z1enterprises.com - for general or technical questions about products on the web site

parts@z1enterprises.com - for inquires on special order items - note: we DO NOT sell used parts.

2000 ZRX 1100

More
16 Jul 2012 10:34 #536283 by Minus32
I'm guessing those are State side. I'm on the other side of the pond. Pretty sure I'll pick the parts up locally. Thanks again.

More
16 Jul 2012 15:03 #536346 by mtbspeedfreak
I'd email Z1 Enterprises and get a shipping quote, they ship all over the world quite regularly. Like I said before, those guys set the bar for customer service.

If the shipping is too much, check out Z-Power: www.z-power.co.uk

2000 ZRX 1100