Spectre 750 shock renew.

More
08 Jul 2012 00:48 #534592 by Kevin STP
Spectre 750 shock renew. was created by Kevin STP
Tha manual say the oil can be drained from the shocks and replaced has anybody done this? Any tips? New fork oil made such a difference I am hoping the same might happen with the shocks.

83 Spectre 750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2012 19:48 #537125 by Kevin STP
Replied by Kevin STP on topic Spectre 750 shock renew.
I may get to try this over the weekend and will post results.The manual instructions for this are odd-it lists the air volume and the oil volume.Completely fill shock with oil and then dump out an amount equal to the air volume.Seems way to scientific.Maybe I just don't get it!!

83 Spectre 750

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
19 Jul 2012 21:43 #537156 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Spectre 750 shock renew.
I don't know about your Spectre, but other shocks that have a way to drain and fill. I would drain into a measuring cup overnight, while hanging and the drain at the lowest point. Maybe try to stroke them to get all the oil you can out. Then replace with the same amount. There are several different shock fluids out there, and I don't know which weight would be correct.
I changed the shock oil on my 90 ZG1000 and replaced the oil with 15 weight, but its a mono shock.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
19 Jul 2012 22:25 #537167 by Kevin STP
The manual says to drain them through the air fitting holes by inverting them and pumping.Then to refill with 5 weight fork oil.I have 34lbs of air and have found a particular corner where they bottom out.If the oil is anything like the fork oil was it should make a big difference.Other than air pressure there is no adjustment on these shocks.I can't afford replacements yet so I may as well do what I can.I can always change the oil weight.

83 Spectre 750

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
19 Jul 2012 22:32 #537171 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Spectre 750 shock renew.
Sure, if it had 5wt, you go up to 8 or maybe 10. It would help with the dampening for sure. The Air is actually the spring on those, so more air = More spring. 4-5psi changes should be noticeable when adjusting. I carry both a digital gauge and a small compressor made by Slime. Walmart sells the compressor for under $10, and the gauge similar. You can make small pressure adjustments, while riding over the same patch of ground a few times. Might help dial it in.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
21 Jul 2012 19:59 #537523 by Kevin STP
I changed the shock oil today.Pumped the old oil out,gave em a dusche with Mystery oil and refilled with 7.5wt oil.They are SHOWA shocks and I found they have a small dial at the top that goes from 1to 4.What is that and any suggestions for a setting to start.I am 5'8" 200 lbs. Will get to ride after I finish my wifes brakes.Resistance Is Futile!!

83 Spectre 750

More
21 Jul 2012 23:25 #537559 by zig
Replied by zig on topic Spectre 750 shock renew.
really i should look at mine B)

More
22 Jul 2012 13:29 #537669 by Kevin STP
It fairly easy,but can get messy.I used a cheap aluminum baking pan and with the air hole facing down pumped the oil out.I found it much easier to use a long rod through the mounting hole into something stationary(garage door track)to use as a pump lever.When the shock is compressed and held there a lot oil flows.just inverting the shock and wating takes forever.
When refilling I suspended a funnel with about 3' of tubing which fit into the airhole of the shock.You can let gravity do the work but I gently pumped it and loaded the oil much more quickly.Took me 2or3 hrs because I have limited space and learn as I go.

83 Spectre 750

More
23 Jul 2012 22:50 #538049 by zig
Replied by zig on topic Spectre 750 shock renew.
hmmm i going to try it ty so much

More
24 Jul 2012 00:53 #538115 by Kevin STP
Its worth doing.Before the ride was jittery,now its a bit hard below 30mph but any faster its solid and smooth.Cornering feels so much better.

83 Spectre 750

More
01 Oct 2012 04:33 #551807 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Spectre 750 shock renew.
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationSo I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but I figure better to have all the answers in one, than create a bunch of different threads on teh same thing.

I need to do this on mine too. But my factory manual doesn't say anything about servicing these rear shocks. Just says if I let oil get from in one to the other, that I'm in trouble. What manual are you using? And how much oil goes into these guys?

I'm using one of these, and it's been a bit of a letdown, leaves out a ton of details, only real useful thing I found was the flow-charts.

Also, since I'm bringing this thread back up anyways, and no one answered your question before, the dial at the top is to adjust the damping rate on the shocks. 4 being the stiffest setting. I question their functionality, it's very rare to find adjustable shocks that adjust the way they're supposed to (I've seen some scary shock dyno's), that said, I leave mine on four anyways, just make sure to set them the same, in case it really does make a difference, you want them working in unison, not one exerting twice as much force as the other.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
03 Oct 2012 19:35 #552276 by Kevin STP
I don't recall the amount of oil, I will check my manual and post later.

83 Spectre 750