Rear brake spline frozen...WTF!?!

More
27 Jun 2012 18:52 #532161 by gsnfl
Rear brake spline frozen...WTF!?! was created by gsnfl
Part 26 of the basketcase chronicles...

Rear brake didn't move no matter how hard you stomped the pedal or how how many fat chicks you balanced on it. I assumed something was frozen in the master cylinder or caliper so I started taking it apart to rebuild both and found that its the spline the brake pedal attaches to that's frozen solid. I shot it full of deep creep this morning and plan on punding it through to see what the hell is going on. Anyone done this or had it happened? If I manage to get it to move, do I have enough clearance or will it hit the swingarm? What exectly could be frozen in there?

I saw the PO the other day and thought about giving him a swift kick in the nuts but then figured he probably had a cheesy chinese set bailing wired on where the original parts went. God, I hate him.

77 KZ650 C1 basket case project-blowed up and parted out

83 KZ550 M1-Prince to Toecutter transition

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2012 19:07 #532166 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Rear brake spline frozen...WTF!?!
When I removed mine for the first time a few years ago it was stuck pretty tight. I soaked it with Kroil for a couple days and was then able to wiggle it off. I cleaned everything up and used some anti-seize on the spline when I reinstalled so I won't have that problem again. I didn't need to use one, but is there any chance you can use a small gear puller to remove the pedal? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
27 Jun 2012 19:14 #532170 by gsnfl
Replied by gsnfl on topic Rear brake spline frozen...WTF!?!
I got the pedal off just fine...it's the spline itself thats frozen. OOOOO I have a dumb idea..Gonna put the pedal back on after a two day soak in PB blaster then nail that farging icehole with a sledge hammer. After that, I'll probably go scrounge junkyards for all the parts I broke and/or stripped.
I know me.

More
27 Jun 2012 19:31 #532175 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic Rear brake spline frozen...WTF!?!
This happens to a lot of bikes ive had. you have to do what ed said. the spline isnt going to budge its welded.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gsnfl

More
27 Jun 2012 19:41 #532176 by gsnfl
What exactly is frozen in there? I looked at the parts blow up and dont see what the spine rotates on thats preventing the pedal from depressing. I can stand on the pedal like a running board and that thing will not depress one inch.

More
27 Jun 2012 19:47 #532178 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic Rear brake spline frozen...WTF!?!
When you got the peddal off did you clean the inside out. I use a dremmal with a wire wheel and then hit the spline with it as well then lube both up and place it back on. Have you done that?

More
27 Jun 2012 20:03 #532183 by gsnfl
I cleaned everything out and the pedal goes back on easily. I shot the whole thing with Deep Creep but it just won't rotate when I step on the brake.

More
27 Jun 2012 20:19 #532189 by peter1958

More
27 Jun 2012 20:25 #532191 by gsnfl
Yes..single rear and dual front. I disconnected the master cylinder from the pedal and it still doesnt budge. I'm sure it's the spline thats frozen

More
27 Jun 2012 21:21 #532211 by Bear1
Replied by Bear1 on topic Rear brake spline frozen...WTF!?!
Your shaft is froze up in the aluminum
housing. The combination of aluminum and steel causes a chemical reaction that binds them together. You need to remove the housing, put it on something solid (an anvil or vise), heat it with a propane torch and tap it out (beat the crap out of it). Don't ruin the splines or mushroom the shaft. I then drill and tapped a hole on the bottom and screwed a grease zerk in so it didn't happen again. Good luck.

'82 750 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tomolu5

More
27 Jun 2012 21:52 #532223 by gsnfl
Sounds good...I'll soak it for a few days and see what comes loose. Thanks to everyone!

More
29 Jun 2012 15:50 #532634 by gsnfl
Update:
I beat on the pedal up and down with a hammer and now it depresses and returns...albeit not on it's own. The return spring no worky so go so back to the drawing board. On a good note, the brakes bled without a hitch and everything seems intact except the spring. I think I'm getting off cheap for once.