Sprocket Life Expectancy

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Jun 2012 18:05 #529642 by Topper
Sprocket Life Expectancy was created by Topper
I replaced my rear sprocket and chain on my '79 KZ750 twin a little over a year (and 7,500 miles) ago. This was shortly after purchasing the bike.

The front sprocket looked brand new, whereas the chain and rear sprocket appeared to be original. So I decided to keep the front sprocket, replace the rear sprocket and put a new o-ring chain on.

7,500 miles later and my rear sprocket looks like a Chinese throwing star again. I'm not sure what material the rear sprocket was made out of. It felt light, probably aluminum.

Is this amount of wear normal in 7500 miles? Assuming I replace both sprockets and the chain at the same time am I going to be replacing these parts every 7,000 miles?

Thanks.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2012 18:15 #529644 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Sprocket Life Expectancy
If you keep the chain clean, buy a good quality X-ring chain and steel sprockets, you can get as much as 50,000 miles out of a set. A sprocket ruined after only 7500 miles - well, must be close to a record.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Jun 2012 18:43 #529654 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Sprocket Life Expectancy

faffi wrote: A sprocket ruined after only 7500 miles - well, must be close to a record.

That's what I'm thinking! I'm pretty good about cleaning and lubing the chain, though I admit, I slack occassionally.

I wish I'd kept some info on where I got the sprocket and what it was made of. I'm guessing it must be some soft aluminum.

Given that it's only been 7500 miles, I'm tempted to keep my chain and replace the rear sprocket with a steel one.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
16 Jun 2012 18:52 #529660 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Sprocket Life Expectancy
For sure something was wrong. Buy Genuine Kawasaki front and rear sprockets and a quality (such as D.I.D.) chain, and hit them with some lube every 3-400 miles. They should easily go 35-40,000 miles or further depending on how hard you ride. Be sure to use a new front sprocket lock washer too. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
16 Jun 2012 18:57 #529664 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Sprocket Life Expectancy
Aluminum sprockets don't hold up so well, you just kinda forgo them life expectancy for the added perfomance from the weight savings(ive never felt it). I have always heard that you have to replace chains and sprockets as a set, but admittedly I have been known to cheat on that one. I'm sure on day I will throw a chain smack dab in the middle of some ghettto as the clock strikes midnight, but until then I will continue to ride blissfully unaware :lol:

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
17 Jun 2012 03:07 - 17 Jun 2012 03:09 #529786 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Sprocket Life Expectancy

Topper wrote:

faffi wrote: A sprocket ruined after only 7500 miles - well, must be close to a record.

That's what I'm thinking! I'm pretty good about cleaning and lubing the chain, though I admit, I slack occassionally.

I wish I'd kept some info on where I got the sprocket and what it was made of. I'm guessing it must be some soft aluminum.

Given that it's only been 7500 miles, I'm tempted to keep my chain and replace the rear sprocket with a steel one.

The stock rear sprocket is a steel 38T. Z1 sells them for the best price along with steel front sprockets (16T stock, 17T will make your life easier). They also sell really good X ring chain for a good price. Stock chain is 102 link as I recall.

If your sprocket is hosed, it may have screwed up the chain.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 17 Jun 2012 03:09 by bountyhunter.

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
17 Jun 2012 11:17 #529830 by Topper
Thanks for the help guys. I just counted the teeth on the front sprocket for the first time since buying the bike.

It's got 18 teeth. Everything I've read says you can go up to 17 on the 750 twins, but I haven't heard of anyone going to 18. And it looks like when the chain got a little loose it was tearing the hell out of the chain gaurd that sits in front of the engine sprocket.

So I was running 18 front and 38 rear. I've already ordered a 38T rear sprocket and I'll be ordering a 17T front sprocket. I still need to determine whether or not the chain guard is still usable or if I need that too. And of course a chain.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
17 Jun 2012 11:50 #529840 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Sprocket Life Expectancy
You may want to go ahead and replace the chain guide if it appears damaged. The really good news is that it (part #12053-1006) is still an active part so it is available from Kawasaki. Ronayers.com lists it at $4.57, so it shouldn't cost very much even if you buy it from a local dealer. Double check the part number. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
18 Jun 2012 07:57 - 18 Jun 2012 09:16 #530060 by Topper
It's worse than I thought. Cleaned the gunk out and what I took to be a worn chain gaurd was actually the transmission cover. And the clutch push rod has two grooves cut in it from the chain.

The PO must have removed the chain guard to fit the 18T sprocket. And even the slightest amount of extra slack in the chain caused it to rub.

Attachment sprocket.jpg not found

So my guess now is that the chain picked up fragments of my transmission case and used them to grind down the rear sprocket in record time.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jun 2012 09:16 by Topper. Reason: added photo

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
18 Jun 2012 10:50 #530074 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Sprocket Life Expectancy
That doesn't look good. If you liked the ratio, then you should change the rear also, if you drop 1 tooth in the front. Here is the gear commander tool: www.gearingcommander.com/
You can fool around with it a bit, look at the stock sizes and the ratio, engine RPM @ given speeds. Then make a choice of what you want. Definitely best to replace, all components as a set, sprockets and chain.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
18 Jun 2012 11:19 #530076 by Topper
Yeah it's breaking my heart (and wallet) to throw out a chain with only 7500 miles on it, but if it's been picking up all that crap, it's clearly toast.

It'll be a couple weeks before I have the time, money and parts to work on this.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
18 Jun 2012 12:55 #530087 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Sprocket Life Expectancy
Put a magnet on the sprocket if you don't know the material.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125