84 KZ550 Gas Cap Stuck

• acidone
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 84 KZ550
More
11 Jun 2012 20:32 #528286 by acidone
84 KZ550 Gas Cap Stuck was created by acidone
So I get everything working great replace couple of parts, fill the tank up and I think now would be a good time to replace the gasket on the tank cap. Long story short, I must not have put it back together correctly and now I can't get it open. The key turns but the lip doesn't come in. Are there any tricks to getting this open so I can correct my mistake? I don't have access to any screws be they are covered by the cap. I can pull the cap up a little bit but not much I notice a hole on the top portion where the lip is. Is that something I can use to open it or push that spring back?

Thanks for in advance for the help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2012 23:18 #528346 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 84 KZ550 Gas Cap Stuck
Got a hair dryer? Carefully apply heat,push down on the gas cap, and turn the key. It should open up. When finally open, apply some graphite lube from a locksmith or use some "Dri-Slide" Moly lube.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: acidone

• acidone
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 84 KZ550
More
12 Jun 2012 07:47 #528432 by acidone
Replied by acidone on topic 84 KZ550 Gas Cap Stuck
Tried the heat and spray but, that was a no go. I ended up drilling holes in the bottom corners of the cap where the screws where. I was then able to remove the screws and the hole cap assembly. I then took apart the lock and corrected my mistake. I'll have to order a new cap at some point, but not a big deal for now.

Thanks again!

More
12 Jun 2012 08:30 - 12 Jun 2012 08:35 #528434 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic 84 KZ550 Gas Cap Stuck
if you waited just few hours would have told you that you can drive the hinge pin out from the side with a small diameter drift.....

patience is not a bad thing when working on old bikes, often ideas on how to solve a problem will come to you when you give it rest for a couple of days.

some pics of your steed and a note on who are you in general wont hurt as introduction either :)
Last edit: 12 Jun 2012 08:35 by turboguzzi.