Shortening the front forks on a 750LTD

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It's better in the wind.
More
16 May 2012 03:56 #522640 by Hatchet
I want to shorten the forks on my '83 KZ750 LTD. I probably want about a 2" drop. I'm wondering what the best way to go about doing this is.

I've been reading tutorials online about disassembling forks and cutting springs/adding spacers/etc. However I was looking at my forks today and I'm not seeing the tuts as being much of a help.

The thing is, this is one of the bikes with the air-adjusted pre-load forks...you know, the little valve under your gauges that has two hoses going into the tops of the forks. Not really sure how much I should be disassembling that stuff...

Any ideas? Anyone done this before on this style of fork?

Before anyone says it - I already slid the forks up in the triple tree. It works in theory, but the handlebars I'm using don't allow much wiggle room - I can only drop about a half inch.

Bikers are a rare breed.
Harley riders are a dime a dozen.

'83 KZ750 LTD K1. "Don't make me get the belt..."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2012 06:03 #522643 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic Shortening the front forks on a 750LTD
leave the fork in place. under the caps there will be some sort of preload tube spacers , about 2" long that you could shorten or take out altogether. no need to start messing with the rebound spacer/springs/etc.

the only problem is that you will loss fork travel by the same amount you shorten the spacer. if the fork now bottoms on bumpy roads, then add some oil for less air volume or eventually go for stiffer spring rate

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 May 2012 21:24 #522775 by Hatchet
Replied by Hatchet on topic Shortening the front forks on a 750LTD
Is it honestly that simple? I'm not used to things being so easy...

I took a look under the fork caps today (they were already removed by the previous owner I suppose). There is a small air nipple and a large nut-looking thing which I cannot budge with a torque wrench.

Any idea what to look for?

Bikers are a rare breed.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
16 May 2012 21:38 #522779 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Shortening the front forks on a 750LTD
Are your forks leading axle or is the axle centered under fork leg?
May look at a set of 650 forks that are same style and see how much shorter they are B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 May 2012 22:38 #522798 by Hatchet
Hmm, good point. That is a good alternative - but honestly, if it's as simple as TurboGuzzi makes it sound, I'd be perfectly content just using my stock forks.

I need Turbo to elaborate a little further for me.

How should I approach accessing the spacers in the top end? I took a look at this diagram and located the spacer I'm looking for...but it hasn't shed a lot of light on how to get to it. You can see in the diagram the air nipple assembly I mentioned earlier.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm taking a break for the night and would love to be able to get this completed tomorrow.

Bikers are a rare breed.

More
16 May 2012 23:43 #522820 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Shortening the front forks on a 750LTD
Should loosen bolt #131 (top fork clamp bolt) before attempting to remove part #44029.

Removing the spacer will likely allow more front end "sag" whereby the bike sits lower, but also leave space for the springs to clang back and forth when traversing rough terrain.

Would also assure that no bike parts such as header pipes will be able to hit the front wheel or fender when the front suspension is fully compressed.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 May 2012 01:29 #522850 by Hatchet
Ah, you make a good point. It didn't occur to me to loosen the top. I'll try that first thing in the morning and see if it helps. That top piece should just screw right out, right?

And +1 for the clearance. I will be very careful. That is something that working with bicycles has taught me. ;)

Bikers are a rare breed.

More
17 May 2012 10:06 - 17 May 2012 10:09 #522890 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic Shortening the front forks on a 750LTD
just shows you never changed the fork oil in your bikes, shame on you ;)

so yep, just remove 44029, make sure you take the weight of the front wheel before, otheriwse bike will drop in a jiffy and cap will poke your eye,

in theory patton is right, but in practice, since most of the damping happens in extension, even on rough surfaces, after the (shorter) springs stop pushing down, there's nothing to pull the wheel down further besides weight. so unless you plan to wheelie for miles on end, not much reason to worry. as always, IMHO ;)

I run shorter springs on most of my bikes, street bikes included, and never had issues with topping out.

get a good six point socket to undo the cap, release the bolt like patton said,

you can add some heat with a propane torch too, just dont burn the whole bike

if bike has stood out for long and cap is rusted in, then itll be hell...
Last edit: 17 May 2012 10:09 by turboguzzi.

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 May 2012 22:02 #522997 by Hatchet

turboguzzi wrote: just shows you never changed the fork oil in your bikes, shame on you ;)

Give a guy a break, it's my first bike B)

Well, I tried to get the bolts off today. No luck whatsoever. All I have on hand is a standard torque wrench, and I was pulling on it so hard I was pulling the bike over before moving that $%@# screw. I smacked the wrench with a rubber mallet a bit, squirted some penetrating oil down the top, etc. etc. no luck.

Looks like I'm spending more money on a new impact wrench :unsure:

Bikers are a rare breed.

More
17 May 2012 22:34 #523002 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Shortening the front forks on a 750LTD
Did you loosen the top fork clamp bolt first as Patton advised? If not, you will be able to twist the entire bike around in circles and not loosen the fork cap. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
17 May 2012 23:17 #523018 by Killman
Replied by Killman on topic Shortening the front forks on a 750LTD
A torque wrench is a mighty expensive tool to be hitting with mallets and using on frozen bolts... :blink:

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 May 2012 00:03 #523027 by Hatchet

650ed wrote: Did you loosen the top fork clamp bolt first as Patton advised? If not, you will be able to twist the entire bike around in circles and not loosen the fork cap. Ed

Yes, I most definitely did. In fact, I checked several times during the process, just to be sure I wasn't embarrassing myself :laugh:

Didn't help, though. That thing is in there solid.

Btw Killman, just to help you sleep tonight - I didn't actually smack the wrench with the mallet, merely the top of the unattached socket as it sat atop the nut. Still not the best idea perhaps.

Bikers are a rare breed.