Help ID front master cylinder please

More
23 Jan 2012 17:54 #499650 by LukeMacPU
Help ID front master cylinder please was created by LukeMacPU
Working on a restoration/revival project. Master cylinder is shot, don't know if it's the stock single caliper master cylinder (1/2") or the larger dual disc version (5/8"). I only have a single brake disc, but from what I've read, the 5/8" master cylinder can be used for either set-up.

Any good way to ID them? Just disassemble and measure? Outside looks like this...

Doesn't work at all, apparently sprung a leak in storage some time in the last 8 years.

'75 Z1B - work in progress

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2012 17:56 #499651 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Help ID front master cylinder please
Look underneath it to see if the size is cast into it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
23 Jan 2012 18:59 #499662 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Help ID front master cylinder please
Could be stamped (or raised-letter)

14mm OR 5/8"

The smaller bore designed for single caliper may produce over-sensitive braking when fitted to dual calipers.

The larger bore designed for dual calipers may produce under-sensitive braking when fitted to a single caliper.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Jan 2012 19:03 #499665 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Help ID front master cylinder please
When restoring the master cylinder, be sure that the tiny relief port is clear and open which allows fluid transfer between the reservoir and bore.

The other larger port supplies fluid to the bore.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
23 Jan 2012 22:35 #499712 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Help ID front master cylinder please

LukeMacPU wrote: Working on a restoration/revival project. Master cylinder is shot, don't know if it's the stock single caliper master cylinder (1/2") or the larger dual disc version (5/8"). I only have a single brake disc, but from what I've read, the 5/8" master cylinder can be used for either set-up.

Any good way to ID them? Just disassemble and measure? Outside looks like this...

Doesn't work at all, apparently sprung a leak in storage some time in the last 8 years.

That looks old and no good. It looks original on your Z1. It is a single disc.
If you find a rare 5/8 bore, there is a stamped 5/8 near the bottom side of the triangle piece were the lever bolt goes through
Either buy a new aftermarket one, or an ebay one, or machine yours bigger to the 5/8" bore.
When you take yours apart it will be all oxidized with moisture, the bore will be no good, all pitted for a stock rebuild kit.
It looks you are in no hurry are you?
I am in the process of putting a couple of both 1/2" and 5/8" together. I have plans of ebay in the near future. 1/2 rebuild part kits are $38 and 5/8" kits are in the upper $50's.
Then you have glass beading and labor involved.
There is a Guy in England that sells 5/8's for $250 Or the chinese nock offs for $139.
Plenty of options out there.
Keep me in mind.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

More
22 Mar 2012 16:38 #511287 by LukeMacPU
Replied by LukeMacPU on topic Help ID front master cylinder please
Thank you all for the help/information. Got a rebuild kit and I'm back in working condition.

'75 Z1B - work in progress