How to convert my 79 KZ1000 LTD from mag to spoke

More
10 Dec 2011 23:14 #492589 by kas
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to convert my 79 KZ1000 LTD from the stock mags to spoke wheels. I'm actually looking to buy a set of Buchanan's (Sun Rims). But before that can happen I need to set the bike up for spoke wheels. (ie. hubs, etc...)

What would I need to get to convert over? Would it be possible to keep most of my components and simply get the required hubs? I'd like to keep my dual brakes if possible.

Thanks,
Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
11 Dec 2011 00:18 #492599 by wireman
easiest thing would be to buy a complete set of wheels and spacers from a 77-78 kz1000 ,your stock brakes will bolt right on to them

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
11 Dec 2011 01:41 - 11 Dec 2011 01:44 #492613 by DoctoRot
I did this not too long ago. The front wheel is a direct swap and you can keep the dual brakes no problem. For the rear, in addition to the hub, make sure you get the spacers, kush drive, sprocket carrier, rear caliper, and torque link. as these are all different from the LTD.

The LTD rear caliper wont clear the spokes. I used the A2 caliper that came with the spoked wheels. I'm not sure if you can use the other LTD components that you already have with this caliper. I compared the LTD and the A2 rear brakes systems, they seem slightly different on most parts. I used all the A2 parts just to be safe. so you might need the rotor, master cylinder and pushrod. IMHO spokes look way cooler than mags.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2011 01:44 by DoctoRot.

More
13 Dec 2011 21:06 #493004 by kas
Thanks guys.... sounds easy enough.

Now begins the fun of finding the parts :sick:

-Pete