Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Front fender...fork brace, or not? 27 Oct 2005 18:48 #4783

• ronboskz650sr
  • ronboskz650sr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey, folks! I searched the archive, and found both opinions about this. Just wonder if there's any new information one way or the other. I took my front fender off a few minutes ago to finish cutting it down and paint it. I was shocked at how much i like the bike without it! Cosmetically, at least..I don't want to compromise the performance. At the very least, can anyone tell me if I can safely test ride it without the fender to see if it feels different in low speed parking lot antics...them carefully increase speed. Or am I flirting with tank slapping consequences, etc? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Front fender...fork brace, or not? 27 Oct 2005 19:03 #4787

• RollingStock
  • User
i put down around 3k miles on my 250 with no front fender and it sucked.. rocks/sand aways flyin in ur face. forget tring to ride in the rain..
73 z1900 street nitrous drag bike(powered but honda)
83 kz750 turbo street fighter project

Front fender...fork brace, or not? 27 Oct 2005 19:07 #4789

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
Yeah, I figured rain would be bad...how did it handle with the fender off?

Front fender...fork brace, or not? 27 Oct 2005 19:18 #4793

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 181
The fender is an important brace - I would strongly suggest not running without a good braced fender or a fork brace. I've run fiberglass front fenders in the past and the handling was nasty...
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

Front fender...fork brace, or not? 27 Oct 2005 19:24 #4796

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
Very good. Thanks Jeff! I appreciate the quick reply.

Front fender...fork brace, or not? 27 Oct 2005 19:30 #4799

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Hey Ron,
I just took my fender off last week and modified an old school aluminum fork brace I got off Ebay to fit my fork. Looks SWEET and drives great. I completely agree on the difference it makes visually.
I was going to post the clubman pics for you tonight but the wife took the camera to a party so it will have to wait till tomorrow. I'll shoot one of the brace too..
-dutch
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

Front fender...fork brace, or not? 27 Oct 2005 19:31 #4800

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
Awesome! Thanks!

Front fender...fork brace, or not? 27 Oct 2005 20:25 #4818

• bkitchen
  • User
I did the same thing and pulled mine off, realy liked the look. But after some advice from the forum I chopped it down and put it back on. And there is a handling difference in the turns.

Post edited by: bkitchen, at: 2005/10/27 23:27
Attachments:

Front fender...fork brace, or not? 27 Oct 2005 20:56 #4831

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
Cool, looks like it's going back on before I ride it much. It really came off with difficulty...very tight fit on my wrench, and tight quarters for turning it. Oh well, needed some motivation to finish chopping it and get it painted.

Front fender...fork brace, or not? 28 Oct 2005 06:07 #4876

• galaxian
  • User
Jeff,

Surely you dont mean that the very flimsy "brace" that attaches the fender to the fork can improve hadling? It is not exactly stiff if you know what i mean. Or are you actually saying that?? Details please.
1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

Front fender...fork brace, or not? 28 Oct 2005 06:54 #4894

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Galaxian, I deleted your double post.... and I do tend to agree with you... I have a fiberglass front fender on one KZ900 and a steel on the other and the one with the fiberglass fender feels as planted and stable as the steel. The handling on the two bikes is a tad different as I have a 79 front end on the one with a fiberglass fender as well as a 16" rear LTD wheel and the other is standard 19"/18" 76 KZ900 stuff but I certainly haven't felt any twichiness from the one with the fiberglass fender. I can't imagine the scrawny steel fender held on with four little 6mm bolts would make a bit of difference if the front wanted to flex under stress. Most fenders that DO provide some bracing are actually beefed up across their centers.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Front fender...fork brace, or not? 28 Oct 2005 07:14 #4898

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 239
I agree too. The fender serves one purpose, it's a fender, not a fork brace. Back in the old NMRA motorcycle drag racing days in the 70s, there were a zillion motorcycles racing, and the rules in many classes did not require running a front fender so many were fenderless even running 140mph quarter mile runs.
wiredgeorge wrote:

Galaxian, I deleted your double post.... and I do tend to agree with you... I have a fiberglass front fender on one KZ900 and a steel on the other and the one with the fiberglass fender feels as planted and stable as the steel. The handling on the two bikes is a tad different as I have a 79 front end on the one with a fiberglass fender as well as a 16" rear LTD wheel and the other is standard 19"/18" 76 KZ900 stuff but I certainly haven't felt any twichiness from the one with the fiberglass fender. I can't imagine the scrawny steel fender held on with four little 6mm bolts would make a bit of difference if the front wanted to flex under stress. Most fenders that DO provide some bracing are actually beefed up across their centers.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Page: