KZ1000 wheel building, pic needed.

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
04 Aug 2011 18:40 - 04 Aug 2011 18:42 #466847 by DoctoRot
KZ1000 wheel building, pic needed. was created by DoctoRot
I finally got my new rims and spokes from Buchanan's, laced up the front wheel, no problems. Then I started to lace the rear wheel and realized I have no idea what the spoke pattern is. There are 4 different kinds of spokes, so I'm a little baffled as this is my first time doing this. Can anyone help me out and post some close up shots of the rear wheel for a 78 kz1000? Thanks!

edit: I forgot to select the chassis section. my bad. is there a way to change it after posting?
Last edit: 04 Aug 2011 18:42 by DoctoRot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2011 20:52 #466878 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ1000 wheel building, pic needed.

DoctoRot wrote: I finally got my new rims and spokes from Buchanan's, laced up the front wheel, no problems. Then I started to lace the rear wheel and realized I have no idea what the spoke pattern is. There are 4 different kinds of spokes, so I'm a little baffled as this is my first time doing this. Can anyone help me out and post some close up shots of the rear wheel for a 78 kz1000? Thanks!

edit: I forgot to select the chassis section. my bad. is there a way to change it after posting?

Click the following link and scroll way down for some pics that might be helpful.

www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/vintage...z650-cafe-racer.html

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
04 Aug 2011 20:57 #466879 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ1000 wheel building, pic needed.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
07 Aug 2011 20:20 #467555 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic KZ1000 wheel building, pic needed.
Thanks for the links Patton. I guess i should have included in my original request for a photo that i had a rear disc hub on my kz1000. this is where my confusion was coming from, because it is not a standard hub it is conical. I had to call Buchanan's to figure out what the hell was going on.

I figured i would include this info on here in case someone needs it in the future.

With a conical hub the rim is drilled specifically for the hub and needs to be orientated correctly to the hub. Normally they mark this on the rim. I got the rim, quickly discounted the writing on the side and sent it to be powder coated, which they covered up. The way the wheel-builder I talked to explained it to me is the larger diameter side of the hub will correspond to a more acute angle in the spoke hole in the rim. This is actually very apparent once I looked at it. There were actually only 3 types of spokes, they were in 4 packages though. There were 20 spokes for the small side, these are marked "A" in my photo, they are both the inside and outside spoke. The ones marked B are the outside spoke on the large side off the hub , and the ones marked C are the inside spokes for the large side of the hub

It was relatively easy to lace up because the small side of the hub has a slot to pop the spoke through with it already going through the rim with a nipple. I wish all hubs had this, it made it a breeze!