Calling all clubman/clip-on/cafe guys/gals

More
28 Oct 2005 14:40 #4998 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic Calling all clubman/clip-on/cafe guys/gals
... and from the top.
The handlebars are adjustable Tomasellis that I got off ebay for thirty bucks, I think the sellers store name was Vintage Cosmo or something. They're really sweet because you can adjust the angle on the arms so you don't hit the tank.

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dgfischer
  • Visitor
29 Oct 2005 05:41 #5105 by dgfischer
Replied by dgfischer on topic Calling all clubman/clip-on/cafe guys/gals
The Tommasselli clubmans are the nicer ones to have. On some bikes, the clubman bars will hit the top triple trees so you will have to either put them in front of or behind the top clamp (they cant be spun to get the correct angle you may need- the foward position and the rear position are either too much or too little). Tne Tommasselli and Wassle clubman bars are usually wider in the center section and allow the bars to be spun to the correct position easily.
Most clip ons usually require that the headlight mounting ears be replaced another method of mounting the headlight.
Daniel

More
29 Oct 2005 05:59 #5106 by barber1303
Replied by barber1303 on topic Calling all clubman/clip-on/cafe guys/gals
Here's a set on my RD350 Cafe Racer...

I was able to coil the extra length of throttle and clutch cable behind the headlight shell. You can also do some creative things with routing to take up the extra cable length.

Post edited by: barber1303, at: 2005/10/29 09:03
Attachments:

More
29 Oct 2005 06:09 #5110 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Calling all clubman/clip-on/cafe guys/gals
A popular style in Europe is to mount the clubmans upside down - this gives you a slight forward lean without putting too much weight on your wrists. The bars pictured are non-adjustable Tommasellis - no issues with cables or brake lines, no tank clearance issues either. Note that there are two types of clubmans available, a Honda type and a Kawasaki type. The Honda type is too narrow between the "horns" to go around the KZ gauges, so make sure you get the right one if you want to mount them this way.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

• ronboskz650sr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Oct 2005 07:16 #5124 by ronboskz650sr
Replied by ronboskz650sr on topic Calling all clubman/clip-on/cafe guys/gals
Nice bikes, guys! My forks are raised in the tripples to lower the front an inch. So, it's really important to have the wide ones for me, even though i won't be inverting them. Any bend in a bar at all, including the slight bend of my drag bars, will limit the rotation of it in the clamp so I can't get the lowered position...If I could rotate my bars, they'd be lower. So the bar has to be straight for about 8 inches befor any bends. Or course, it's nice to have the option of inverting them, too...thanks for the tip, and the pics!

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
29 Oct 2005 08:55 #5128 by twowheeledterror
Replied by twowheeledterror on topic Calling all clubman/clip-on/cafe guys/gals
The tomasellis are definitely nice, but if you keep an eye on ebay every once in awhile this guy from Canada sells clipons for like $50.00 a pair. They're great. I'm running them on the ninja forks that are on the KZ right now.

• ronboskz650sr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Oct 2005 09:05 #5129 by ronboskz650sr
Thanks...do they go under the upper triple tree? What about tank clearance? I'm thinking, if I put them above the triple, Iwould have to lower the front another 3/8 inch...might actually tighten the handling even more!

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
29 Oct 2005 09:40 #5134 by twowheeledterror
Replied by twowheeledterror on topic Calling all clubman/clip-on/cafe guys/gals
ronboskz650sr wrote:

Thanks...do they go under the upper triple tree? What about tank clearance? I'm thinking, if I put them above the triple, Iwould have to lower the front another 3/8 inch...might actually tighten the handling even more!

The clip ons go wherever you want them to go. Some of the old cafe racers in England used to set them 1/4" above the LOWER TRIPLE. ahaha

Mine are mounted under my upper triple tree, and yes, tank clearance is a problem. So what can you do to solve it? Simple. DON'T TURN THAT FAR. :D

• ronboskz650sr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Oct 2005 09:45 #5135 by ronboskz650sr
Isn't that another way to say...just ride faster? :woohoo: :silly:

More
29 Oct 2005 18:37 #5215 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Calling all clubman/clip-on/cafe guys/gals
Here's a post by Blake showing his Clip-ons on his 650 SR as well as some other pics. kzrider.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28913

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• ronboskz650sr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Oct 2005 19:10 #5228 by ronboskz650sr
Thanks, Rob. I saw that one. I think I want to go a little wider than clip-ons, though. My son's cbr feels a little too narrow to me, and does'nt have the low speed turning ease of mine. Did you get your clubman bars yet?

More
29 Oct 2005 19:44 #5235 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Calling all clubman/clip-on/cafe guys/gals
I've got two bars. One was on my brother's '79 650C3 (now mine) and the other came with the Rickman fairing I bought. Both different. I think I like the one that came with the fairing, as it has less of a drop. It all depends on how they're mounted though, as far as what angle or upside down?

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s