suspension options for a KZ550

• suckerpunchjohnny
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2010 11:53 #404529 by suckerpunchjohnny
suspension options for a KZ550 was created by suckerpunchjohnny
Hey guys, I just bought my first KZ. 1981 KZ 550 A... thing is an awesome little bike and I'm psyched to work on it... I know my way around a shop real well, but don't really know the tricks to these old KZ's... I want to put this thing down as low as I reasonably can... so a couple questions...

1) Best way to put the ass down... can I use 10" sportster shocks? Or I've heard mini bike shocks? or do you guys prefer hard struts and a spring seat?

2) How to drop the front... it's an air shock fork... 90lb psi I believe? Can you drop them down, or do you need to just change the front forks...?

Any info would be great, just trying to bypass the whole trial and error type testing!

I'd love to see what others have done to their KZ 550s as well! POST EM UP!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• suckerpunchjohnny
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2010 11:57 #404532 by suckerpunchjohnny
Replied by suckerpunchjohnny on topic suspension options for a KZ550
This is my vision... what I'd like it to look like with a couple more mods, different bars, mini speedos, chop and wrap the pipes... etc. Let me know what you guys think!

More
06 Oct 2010 12:04 #404536 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic suspension options for a KZ550
suckerpunchjohnny wrote:

Hey guys, I just bought my first KZ. 1981 KZ 550 A... thing is an awesome little bike and I'm psyched to work on it... I know my way around a shop real well, but don't really know the tricks to these old KZ's... I want to put this thing down as low as I reasonably can... so a couple questions...

1) Best way to put the ass down... can I use 10" sportster shocks? Or I've heard mini bike shocks? or do you guys prefer hard struts and a spring seat?

2) How to drop the front... it's an air shock fork... 90lb psi I believe? Can you drop them down, or do you need to just change the front forks...?

Any info would be great, just trying to bypass the whole trial and error type testing!

I'd love to see what others have done to their KZ 550s as well! POST EM UP!

What are you trying to do?

Are you vertically challenged?

90 psi?

:X hardley shocks?

Get a manual.
raise the forks
progressive make an 11.5 shock

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
06 Oct 2010 12:11 - 06 Oct 2010 12:12 #404540 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic suspension options for a KZ550
According to someone here on KZR, Vulcan 500 shocks are a direct bolt-on & are ~11.5" eye-to-eye. I believe he put them on a 550 or maybe a 650 (Andy-the-gringo).

Sportster shocks can be used. You'll have to swap out the bushings. The bottom eye on them is too wide for the Kaw mount, so you'll either have to spread the mount open a tad or grind down the Sportys by ~4mm. Also, the coil spring on the shock may interfer very slightly with the chain guard, assuming you don't remove it.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2010 12:12 by JMKZHI.

• suckerpunchjohnny
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2010 12:17 #404542 by suckerpunchjohnny
I like low stance... just looks better to me... I'm no midget but I am only 5'8"!

Got the shop manual, been slowly reading up on it, no idea about the 90psi statement, guy that had it previously gave me that number...

LOL sorry... didnt mean to say the H word... I just know you can get them to sit low and still have shocks instead of a hardtail...

Thanks for the info, I'll check those out...

More
06 Oct 2010 12:21 #404544 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic suspension options for a KZ550
90 psi air in the forks??? First chance you get you need to buy a Kawasaki factory service manual. They're usually available on eBay. Just be sure to get the one for your exact year/model. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• suckerpunchjohnny
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2010 12:32 #404546 by suckerpunchjohnny
thanks guys... I will check on that when I get home tonight... I took the previous owner's word for it, but then again he did some rather dumb things to it to begin with...

More
06 Oct 2010 14:00 - 06 Oct 2010 14:07 #404579 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic suspension options for a KZ550
I like the chopped look, but there is a much easier way to do it.

Why not trade for a KZ550C LTD. They are already setup with a smaller diameter, but fatter rear tire and cruiser style frame. That will have a way lower seat than the 550A will ever have without cutting the frame.

The 550C can be found much cheaper than 550A's usually, and people with 550C's often want to make them more like the 550A's, so it shouldn't be difficult to find someone who wants to trade their 550C. The engines and carbs are virtually identical (except the last year 550A). So you could just trade frames with someone if they want to keep their engine.

The airboxes are different shape and the gas tanks on the 550C are more teardrop shaped.

Also, you want more like 9 psi.
Download the manual I have in my signature.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2010 14:07 by loudhvx.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
06 Oct 2010 14:06 #404580 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic suspension options for a KZ550
dont know about the 550 but kz1000s only run 7-8 psi in the forks.please get a manual and verify.bj

• suckerpunchjohnny
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2010 15:58 #404612 by suckerpunchjohnny
hey guys, I got my manual and looked it up... it's 9... I must have just heard 90... DUH... like I said I'm probably gonna say some stupid sh$t being my first KZ build...
I got my bike for super cheap, so I'm gonna have fun with it... and it will by no means be my only or last KZ! I'm hooked already...

has anyone mounted a peanut tank of their 550 without mods? and what brands would you recommend for pod type air filters and jet changes? and for mini gauges that have the correct ratios....

THANKS! If I can figure out all the logistics this week, I can order it all up and try to get this thing built before the winter hits us up here in New England!

• suckerpunchjohnny
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2010 16:01 #404614 by suckerpunchjohnny
hey loudhvx... I heard you are very knowledgeable with wiring... what is your recommendation for a bare bones wiring system? Build my own or order and ebay stock harness and scrap what I don't need?

More
07 Oct 2010 00:34 - 07 Oct 2010 00:53 #404774 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic suspension options for a KZ550
suckerpunchjohnny wrote:

... what is your recommendation for a bare bones wiring system? Build my own or order and ebay stock harness and scrap what I don't need?

Well, I only wire from scratch. Every old harness I've taken off of a bike had many spots that were weakened or even broken, but still making contact.

It really depends on how minimalistic you want to go, and how much wiring experience you have. There are so many little things that make all the difference. The wire needs to be supported and bundled wherever possible. There should be no dangling wires, and very minimal solder. A good crimp connection will outlast solder connections. No strands should be nicked or cut during stripping. Etc.etc. Get a good ratcheting crimper and a good automatic stripper. Those two will save hours and headaches.

If you only want starter/ignition/charging/headlight/tail light/brake light, then it's not real hard to do from scratch. Basically you keep the little subharnesses that go to the handlebar controls, light switches etc, and make up your own main harness.

I can draw up a schematic pretty quickly if you know what you want.

A new harness would be the easiest way, but that won't be cheap if you can even find one. Most used harnesses have problems in the same places, so they are usually not going to save much time or work than your old harness.

The 1980 A1 is slightly different from the 81/82 A2/A3, so you want to make sure the harness is from 81 or 82.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2010 00:53 by loudhvx.