Should my chain make a clicking sound?

More
01 Jun 2010 04:22 - 01 Jun 2010 04:25 #372547 by djturnz
I changed my chain and sprockets over to a 530 set up. I shimmed the front sprocket as suggested by Z1E and the chain does not seem to rub on the case. Infact, I am pretty sure it was making this noise with the new chain and sprockets on, and the cover off while I had the rear tire up in the air.

I do not recall if it made it with the old 630 chain and sprockets on there.

I noticed it when spinning the tire by hand in neitral, as well as when pushing the bike in neutral.

Does the transmission make a clicking noise when rotated in neitral? Or do I need to take it all back apart again?

On a second, possible related thought: There was a curved piece of metal inside the front sprocket cover with two grooves in it. I assume this is some kind of splatter shield to stop the chain from flinging stuff inside the case? Anyway, the grooves are spaced for the 630 chain. would the 530 be rubbing this piece since the chain is narrower? was able to stick a piece of cardboard in between the guid and chain all the way around, so I don't think they are touching.

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD
Last edit: 01 Jun 2010 04:25 by djturnz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
01 Jun 2010 05:46 #372552 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Should my chain make a clicking sound?
DJ check out this thread, it may help: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=5&id=361549

Is it a once per revolution click or is it multiple times per revolution? BTW the 530 chain is the same width as 630. The difference is in spacing between links (length.)

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
01 Jun 2010 07:48 #372569 by djturnz
Replied by djturnz on topic Should my chain make a clicking sound?
Multiple times. Its not the master link. Thanks

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

More
01 Jun 2010 09:37 #372585 by djturnz
After checking out the beginning of that thread, I don't think it pertains to my situation. This is a constant noise that occurs the whole time, not just once per revolution.

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

• testarossa
  • User
More
01 Jun 2010 09:51 #372587 by testarossa
Do you have a picture of the curved piece of metal? Is it close enough to the chain, that it could be making contact? Is your chain super tight?

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
01 Jun 2010 10:00 #372589 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Should my chain make a clicking sound?
Have you lubed the new chain? Perhaps dry chain and sprockets could be making the unfamiliar noise.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
01 Jun 2010 10:02 #372590 by djturnz
It came with a white "lube" already on it. Or isn't that supposed to be the lube?

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

More
01 Jun 2010 11:25 #372599 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Should my chain make a clicking sound?
djturnz wrote:

It came with a white "lube" already on it. Or isn't that supposed to be the lube?

That's lithium grease which keeps it from rusting but doesn't penetrate into the rollers where it needs lube. I use the dupont teflon spray in the blue can from Lowe's.

My chains have always clicked when I spin the wheel. I think it's normal.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
01 Jun 2010 11:35 #372603 by djturnz
testarossa wrote:

Do you have a picture of the curved piece of metal? Is it close enough to the chain, that it could be making contact? Is your chain super tight?

It's right in the middle.

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

• testarossa
  • User
More
01 Jun 2010 13:46 #372621 by testarossa
Ok I see the piece that you are talking about. It's a slightly different setup on my KZ1000. Anyway, if the chain is hitting that, then you have a problem, and that is your noise. I doubt that it's hitting that unless something is really out of line, or the chain has way too much slack. If it hits, then it will wear a shiny spot on that cover fairly quickly.

Is this a very loud clicking noise? Could you hear it going down the road over the engine/wind noise? If it's not very loud, then I'm gonna guess that it's just a new chain and sprockets that need to wear in a little. I would put some good chainlube on there just to make sure that you are covered. New o-ring chains have factory installed grease inside the o-rings, but it can't hurt to have some lubrication on the interface between the rollers and sprocket teeth.

Ride it around the block and make sure that there are no rub marks from the chain on any covers, chain guard, swingarm, frame, etc. Also check that the chain has the proper slack.

If it's loud enough that you can hear it over normal road noise, then I would suspect that something is out of whack and the chain is rubbing.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
02 Jun 2010 06:15 #372789 by djturnz
I only rode it about 100 feet since putting the chain on, but no I don;t believe that I could hear it. Though my mufflers were off, so I didn't hear much.

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

• testarossa
  • User
More
02 Jun 2010 06:19 #372790 by testarossa
Tough to say since you had the mufflers off. If they were on and you couldn't hear it, I would say that it's normal. However with no muffler the bike would be too loud to hear much of anything. I bet its just normal chain clicking. Did you reset the tension/slack in the chain after you put the new one on?

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN