Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Just a reminder for those in cold climates 23 Oct 2005 13:12 #3646

• luvmykaw
  • luvmykaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
This is just a reminder for you to yank everything that you want to inspect/repair/alter off your bike, if your bike will be outside or in an unheated garage etc. I likely have a few more weeks of riding weather left, but to hell with it. I'm shutting the bike down before the snow flies. I took off the coils for alteration, removed the valve and points covers for a repaint, I just bolted junk parts on for the winter. The carbs are out and the exhaust is off for a complete stripping/repainting, yada, yada. The point is, take a minute and think about what you want to change on the bike over the winter, and remove it now, because it'll pucker your pouch to trot out and yank something off in January. ;) This is obviously an aside to your basic winterizing list.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Just a reminder for those in cold climates 23 Oct 2005 20:42 #3721

• Bud1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Good advise! It really sucks to try and remove or install something when it's below freezing. Especially small bolts and screws cause you usually have to take your gloves off at some point. And don't get me started about dropping things in the snow!

Or I guess you could and we could talk about shoveling snow into a bucket and melting it with a propane torch to find the dropped parts.:blink:

Just a reminder for those in cold climates 23 Oct 2005 21:20 #3731

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
I feel for you folks in those 'chilly' regions...don't seem to have those problems 'round here. hehe ;)
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Just a reminder for those in cold climates 23 Oct 2005 21:29 #3732

• RollingStock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i cant wait for it to get cold here.. but i live in south FL so it doesnt get to cold
73 z1900 street nitrous drag bike(powered but honda)
83 kz750 turbo street fighter project

Just a reminder for those in cold climates 24 Oct 2005 05:45 #3768

• dgfischer
  • Visitor
Bud1 wrote:

Good advise! It really sucks to try and remove or install something when it's below freezing. Especially small bolts and screws cause you usually have to take your gloves off at some point. And don't get me started about dropping things in the snow!

Or I guess you could and we could talk about shoveling snow into a bucket and melting it with a propane torch to find the dropped parts.:blink:

My, My I think we are(or I am) getting old. I remember many years ago putting a SBC in my old Chevy 2 in 20 degrees, snow, while standing in a mud puddle out side.
I wouldnt want to attempt that nowadays,
Daniel

Just a reminder for those in cold climates 24 Oct 2005 10:43 #3836

• luvmykaw
  • luvmykaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
Ya, the older I get, the less I like the cold.:pinch: Last winter I knew that I had to change out my wasted factory shocks. I got replacements mid winter and was out there taking them off in - 15 degrees and digging for droped washers in a foot of snow. Brrrrrr. The spare room in my apartment has a pile of plastic tubs with tools/parts etc. in them. The room smells like gas and grease when I open the door.:whistle: I like that room.:lol:

Just a reminder for those in cold climates 24 Oct 2005 13:08 #3873

• patmann
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
luvmykaw wrote:

Ya, the older I get, the less I like the cold.:pinch: Last winter I knew that I had to change out my wasted factory shocks. I got replacements mid winter and was out there taking them off in - 15 degrees and digging for droped washers in a foot of snow. Brrrrrr. The spare room in my apartment has a pile of plastic tubs with tools/parts etc. in them. The room smells like gas and grease when I open the door.:whistle: I like that room.:lol:

Up North, don't you guys have Winter 9 out of 12 months??;)
Pat
1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Just a reminder for those in cold climates 25 Oct 2005 21:40 #4311

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
I do feel sorry for you guys, but I'm not going to rub it in. FRICKIN MOVE!!! Seriously, I really do feel for you guys, the air is cleaner, and you have seasons. Living in California, we have Christmas Season. Everyone and their dog, heads to the mall, fights for a parking space everywhere. They beg for money at every corner, on every freeway off-ramp, and at every drive-thru restaurant. Yeah, we have it bad too. Seeing the air you breathe isn't always what it's cracked up to be, but that type of air isn't all over the state.

Stay warm this winter guys.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Just a reminder for those in cold climates 26 Oct 2005 21:56 #4567

• reborn650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Nah...for all you guys in the deep south....we Kawi owners up north just put on our snow tires and switch to hotter plugs. Oh yeah...we also change to a less viscous oil. The upside to riding our old Kz's for only 8 months a year is that we really use our downtime to anticipate the upcoming season. We savour every gear shift when we ride and take nothing for granted. Cheers-Colin
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Just a reminder for those in cold climates 26 Oct 2005 23:17 #4575

• GargantuChet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Good thinking!

I remember spending the afternoon wedged under my faithful Crown Vic replacing the starter in 20 degree (F) weather a few years ago. When there's no room to swing a wrench decently it's amazing how long two bolts can take you.

I'm only 25, and being cold SUCKS. Old has nothing to do with it... think of it as "less stupid" and more concerned with making your body last. I'm getting less stupid in that respect.

• Page: