Safety in drilling the frame?

More
06 Dec 2009 09:55 #337757 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Safety in drilling the frame?
why didnt you just weld them on there,you dont think vibration will affect the epoxy in that situation holding that much weight over time? B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2009 10:10 #337761 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Safety in drilling the frame?
PLUMMEN wrote:

why didnt you just weld them on there,you dont think vibration will affect the epoxy in that situation holding that much weight over time? B)

It was very quick and I did not have to remove anything. just cleaned the paint off. The stuff has been on there for two years now and about 12K miles and it is solid as ever.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
06 Dec 2009 10:13 #337763 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Safety in drilling the frame?
Weld everything, there is no substitute.

Why do you need to drill the frame?

I think that if the frame was intended to have holes for something, they would already be there :laugh:

If you do anyways, you must add structural integrity back into that from which you take it.

You can't ride your motorcycle around, thinking: is that drilled member going to crack when I lean this thing and send my a$$ flying into that parked dump truck?

Thats just way too distracting! You don't want that...

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
06 Dec 2009 10:13 #337764 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Safety in drilling the frame?
Locozuna wrote:

With due respect I'm not sure comparing a wood framed houses drilled for pipe or wire compares to a metal frame drilling.

Can you please explain what this statement refers to??

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
06 Dec 2009 10:19 #337765 by PLUMMEN
Locozuna wrote:

With due respect I'm not sure comparing a wood framed houses drilled for pipe or wire compares to a metal frame drilling. As stated vibrations and rust are also concerns along with the initial weakening. Great ideas to boss the holes and such if you do need to drill. I have seen cracks in windshields stopped by scribing circles or drilling a hole. Do they do this in metal too?

well think of it this way .if your house has 2x10 floor joists and joe shmuck plumber drills a 3" hole through 5-6 joists in a row to run a drain for your shower in the next room you dont think that affects the strength of the floor under the chair your parked in watching your 60" bigscreen with the surround sound in? :woohoo: same thing with walls,ive seen guys butcher 2" of wood out of a row of 2x4s which are only 1 1/2"x 3 1/2" to begin with on the outside wall of a house,and im here to tell ya thats a lot of dead weight pushing down on there! :blink: houses settle and dry out and twist just like metal if not worse.lets go back to the floor joists again,lets say that you hacked 3" out of the 2x10 which again is actually closer to 1 1/2x 9 1/2 to start with.without going into some big formula lets say that is roughly between 33 1/3 and 40% of the total strength of the origional material with a heavy load pushing down on it which is pretty damn scary when you think about it.now lets talk about the 2x4 with 2" missing out of it im gonna again say its roughly 80% of the origional strength gone with a serious compressionload pushing down on it,if that dont scare ya i want what you guys are having! :woohoo: now lets talk about that little cross brace roughly 1" od with a 1/4" hole in it,thats roughly 25% of origional strength on a piece that really is under no major load.if its going to twist its going to twist because its a piece of round pipe butt welded into the side of another round piece of pipe which has no real structural integrity to begin with. B)

More
06 Dec 2009 10:46 #337768 by PLUMMEN

Attachments:

More
06 Dec 2009 10:56 - 06 Dec 2009 10:57 #337769 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Safety in drilling the frame?
I hate seeing floor joists drilled, but what I hate more is when the morons notch the joist from the bottom. They are effectively making a 12" joist into a 9" joist... and they did it right under the bathtub!! :ohmy: I'm going to have to install a bunch of plates to restore the strength. Stoopid bastards.
Last edit: 06 Dec 2009 10:57 by loudhvx.

More
06 Dec 2009 11:06 #337772 by PLUMMEN
loudhvx wrote:

I hate seeing floor joists drilled, but what I hate more is when the morons notch the joist from the bottom. They are effectively making a 12" joist into a 9" joist... and they did it right under the bathtub!! :ohmy: I'm going to have to install a bunch of plates to restore the strength. Stoopid bastards.

me too,i tend to lay out my plumbing so everything gets run along a beam if at all possible and kicks up between joists to where its needed ,i dont drill anything bigger than a 1" hole to pull wires through either. B)

More
06 Dec 2009 11:35 #337778 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Safety in drilling the frame?
Surprising number of responses to my question! Okay, I won't be drilling the frame. I was looking for a way to mount stancions for the rear springs of a solo seat (I'm bobbing the bike and using struts in the back), as I have no access to welders in my little mountain town. I'll probably try to bolt something around the frame rails instead.

More
06 Dec 2009 12:02 #337787 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Safety in drilling the frame?
PLUMMEN wrote:

well think of it this way .if your house has 2x10 floor joists and joe shmuck plumber drills a 3" hole through 5-6 joists in a row to run a drain for your shower in the next room you dont think that affects the strength of the floor under the chair your parked in watching your 60" bigscreen with the surround sound in? :woohoo:

Ah! I see my mistake now! Joe the plummer is a shmuck! :laugh: I should have remembered Joe. ;) I would hope Craig the carpenter would see Joe's butcher job and power nail him to a bulkhead then double the strut or replace it. I would also hope the Inspector General would review Joe the Plumbers certification or at least educate him. I realize not all jobs are inspected. Just as not all professionals are professional.

There is a term for joining two struts/joists together for strength when one might be compromised. Brothering or something. Not a carpenter. Just watched a lot of this old house. I did once build a dog house tho. Dog wouldn't go in it. Wife said I should make my self comfortable in it. :pinch:

otakar: In an earlier post a comparison was made to wood framing to drilling a house frame and I did not see the comparison. But now see it was merely comparing butcher jobs.

* Just checked my 60" is safe but my chair is now listed as endangered. :ohmy:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
06 Dec 2009 12:33 #337791 by PLUMMEN
cutting holes in joists is actually code though if done right,doubling up joists is called sistering. B)

More
06 Dec 2009 12:50 #337794 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Safety in drilling the frame?
is the cross member your drilling a stressed member than maybe you may run into problems but if it is just a crossmember that main job is to hold the two halves of the frame together than by all means drill. the only load on that crossmember is from your backside so unless your over 500 i wouldn't worry about it. that crossmember that your talking about only purpose is to keep the frame together there are virtually no loads on that.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE