MKII Seat vs. Shaftie Seat

• 79MKII
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
More
20 Oct 2009 12:57 #328607 by 79MKII
MKII Seat vs. Shaftie Seat was created by 79MKII
There seems to be a difference of opinions out there - can anyone tell me from experience if a shaftie seat will fit on a MKII? I'm looking for a decent MKII seat and the shaftie seats seem to come up for sale a little more often.

Thanks!

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2009 14:30 #328615 by YUKABODOS
Replied by YUKABODOS on topic MKII Seat vs. Shaftie Seat
Ron would know. But I think that the shafties are built beefier and as a result the seat wont swap, but heck I only own a ST and not a MKII (wish I did though).

More
20 Oct 2009 16:03 #328625 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic MKII Seat vs. Shaftie Seat
No, they look the same at first glance, but as with everything on the ST, it's not the same. It's been a few years since I've ridden either of mine, but I think the ST seat has different mount positions for the hinges, but also is a wider seat to fit with the wider tank ect on the ST.
I have the luck of owning both thankfully so can kind of compare the two head to head. Bodywork is not that close if you sit them side by side.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• 79MKII
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
More
21 Oct 2009 12:42 #328770 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic MKII Seat vs. Shaftie Seat
The 79 and 80 ST's and MKII's look so much alike, it's hard to imagine that nearly everything is different. I knew about the bodywork, forks, wheels, shaft (obviously), gauges, clutch pusher, etc... but thought the seats were the same. Thanks for the tip - I was getting all ready to bid on a nice ST seat on eBay. I would've had to turn around and sell it again and I usually lose money when I do that. :laugh:

I have a wanted ad posted in the classifieds, but if anyone has (or knows of) a decent MKII seat and/or seat pan, please let me know. Thanks!

The Kaw List:
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

• 79MKII
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
More
04 Nov 2009 04:41 #331425 by 79MKII
You guys are sure the seats are different, right? I can't believe this happened but here goes:

I found a seat on eBay last night for $200/best offer. I bid $100 and it was accepted - to my surprise! THEN I realize that the seat is listed as "MK2/ST" - uh oh. I contacted the seller to see which bike it came from and it's an ST - now I just bought a seat that worthless to me. I'm trying to get him to keep the seat and relist it - I even offered to pay his fees which should only be a few dollars. The bottom line is that the seat was misrepresented so he should be happy with my offer. The alternative is for me to leave negative feedback and file a complaint through PayPal. I've had good luck with that in the past. Hopefully he'll have some sense and let me off the hook here.

The Kaw List:

More
04 Nov 2009 13:11 #331536 by RacerZ
Replied by RacerZ on topic MKII Seat vs. Shaftie Seat
79MKII wrote:

You guys are sure the seats are different, right? I can't believe this happened but here goes:

I found a seat on eBay last night for $200/best offer. I bid $100 and it was accepted - to my surprise!

THEN I realize that the seat is listed as "MK2/ST" - uh oh. I contacted the seller to see which bike it came from and it's an ST - now I just bought a seat that worthless to me.

I'm trying to get him to keep the seat and relist it - I even offered to pay his fees which should only be a few dollars.

The bottom line is that the seat was misrepresented so he should be happy with my offer.

The alternative is for me to leave negative feedback and file a complaint through PayPal.

I've had good luck with that in the past. Hopefully he'll have some sense and let me off the hook here.

USING YOUR OWN WORDS AGAINST YOU:laugh: ...

"THEN I realize that the seat is listed as "MK2/ST" - uh oh."

So "YOU" did not read the WHOLE LISTING before YOU BID...

And "YOU" didn't ask the right questions until after YOU Bid.

So now YOU want to leave Negative Feedback for your mistake?

And this is after having the knowledge that the MKII and ST are different?

And people wonder why E-bay has problems? :)

• 79MKII
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
More
04 Nov 2009 17:04 - 04 Nov 2009 17:05 #331564 by 79MKII
RacerZ wrote:

79MKII wrote:

I found a seat on eBay last night for $200/best offer. I bid $100 and it was accepted - to my surprise!

THEN I realize that the seat is listed as "MK2/ST" - uh oh. I contacted the seller to see which bike it came from and it's an ST - now I just bought a seat that worthless to me.

I'm trying to get him to keep the seat and relist it - I even offered to pay his fees which should only be a few dollars.

The bottom line is that the seat was misrepresented so he should be happy with my offer.

The alternative is for me to leave negative feedback and file a complaint through PayPal.

I've had good luck with that in the past. Hopefully he'll have some sense and let me off the hook here.

The seller clearly implied in his auction that the seat would fit a MKII and this is just not true. He said he thought they were the same seats and tried to explain that the ST is just a MKII with a shaft drive. Again, not even close to true - very few parts interchange. The seat could have been an actual MKII seat that the seller assumed fit a shaft, but unfortunately it was the other way around. If you think it's OK to assume parts fit and then list them as such, then YOU might be one of the reasons eBay has problems. :) I have nearly 500 perfect transactions buying and selling, by the way. ;)

I only stated that the seller should be willing to cancel the transaction and not force me to accept the seat based on the fact that he advertised it as fitting a MKII. I offered a compromise by paying the fees. Yes, I should have asked the question first - it's never safe to assume that a seller knows what he has or what it will fit or that he is being honest. I've learned that in the past and should have known better - but I was excited! I thought it was a MKII seat! :laugh:

It's all water under the bridge anyway - the seller agreed to my compromise and isn't going to ship the item. I paid his fees (turned out to be $10.00 :ohmy: ), so my quick fingers cost me $10 and the seller has relisted the item CORRECTLY this time. The search continues...

The Kaw List:
Last edit: 04 Nov 2009 17:05 by 79MKII.

More
04 Nov 2009 18:58 #331589 by RacerZ
Replied by RacerZ on topic MKII Seat vs. Shaftie Seat
79MKII wrote:

RacerZ wrote:

79MKII wrote:

The seller clearly implied in his auction that the seat would fit a MKII and this is just not true. He said he thought they were the same seats and tried to explain that the ST is just a MKII with a shaft drive. Again, not even close to true - very few parts interchange. The seat could have been an actual MKII seat that the seller assumed fit a shaft, but unfortunately it was the other way around. If you think it's OK to assume parts fit and then list them as such, then YOU might be one of the reasons eBay has problems. :) I have nearly 500 perfect transactions buying and selling, by the way. ;)

I only stated that the seller should be willing to cancel the transaction and not force me to accept the seat based on the fact that he advertised it as fitting a MKII. I offered a compromise by paying the fees. Yes, I should have asked the question first - it's never safe to assume that a seller knows what he has or what it will fit or that he is being honest. I've learned that in the past and should have known better - but I was excited! I thought it was a MKII seat! :laugh:

It's all water under the bridge anyway - the seller agreed to my compromise and isn't going to ship the item. I paid his fees (turned out to be $10.00 :ohmy: ), so my quick fingers cost me $10 and the seller has relisted the item CORRECTLY this time. The search continues...

No.... He Clearly implies MKII/ST.. AS YOU STATED originally, and YOU did not read the listing.

"READ THIS"
ALWAYS BUYER BEWARE :)

When you finally ask the right questions AFTER YOU BUY IT, AFTER NOT having read the Listing Completely.

YOU were willing to BULLY/THREATEN him with Negative Feedback if he didn't see things YOUR way.:)

And all this while KNOWING that the parts wouldn't Swap, as far back as 2 weeks and 1 day ago you had the information, as per this thread. :)

So having nearly 500 Positive Feedbacks didn't really help you here. And because again YOU didn't read the listing this means that "I'm the Bad Description Writer"? :laugh:

Your Words Read them:

"If you think it's OK to assume parts fit and then list them as such, then YOU might be one of the reasons eBay has problems". :laugh:

So post up your Ebay Seller Name so I can Block you. :laugh:

I hope you find your MKII seat, but maybe you should reconsider your Buying/Selling bullying tactics/Fast Fingers.

I'll have a MKII Fuel Tank, and Tailsection up for sale soon, but.... You're Blocked :P

• 79MKII
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
More
04 Nov 2009 19:05 - 04 Nov 2009 19:08 #331594 by 79MKII
The seller says MKII/ST. What's so confusing to you? He thinks they are the same and says his seat will fit both. Why aren't you getting that?? He says his seat fits a MKII and it doesn't. Not proper listing / selling. There is no reasonable excuse for having "MK2" in the listing. Period.

The Kaw List:
Last edit: 04 Nov 2009 19:08 by 79MKII.

More
04 Nov 2009 19:13 #331595 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic MKII Seat vs. Shaftie Seat
Something tells me that RacerZ is connected to this........:unsure:

More
04 Nov 2009 19:24 #331597 by RonKZ650
Would this be of use to you. MKII seat with 500 miles on it removed 8/83. Original owner cut down the seat. I tried to have it redone as stock, but wasn't happy so it's sat ever since. $75 and I'll pay shipping. No charge for dust/dirt.:)

Attachments:

More
04 Nov 2009 19:26 #331598 by RonKZ650
Would this be any use to you? This is a MKII seat with only 500 miles on it. The original owner had the front cut down. I had a local try to recover it similar to stock, but to me it wasn't all that great of an effort. $75 and I'll pay shipping if you want it. Been sitting for over 26 years now. No charge for the dust.:)

Attachments: