How often do you oil your chain?

More
28 Sep 2009 20:38 - 28 Sep 2009 20:44 #324546 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic How often do you oil your chain?
An o-ring chain needs to be lubricated.
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Sep 2009 20:44 by JMKZHI.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2009 20:45 #324547 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic How often do you oil your chain?
This one has more info:
Attachments:

• likes2gofast2009
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Sep 2009 21:30 #324551 by likes2gofast2009
Replied by likes2gofast2009 on topic How often do you oil your chain?
Bluemeanie wrote:

Jeez sorry Im new to bikes... I change my oil every 3k miles...

It's all good dude, people here were just surprised at how long you went. As from above, lube your chain with a good quality chain lube about every 300 miles. As far as oil goes, I change my oil about every 1000 mi and change oil filter every other change. :)

Every 1000k miles Huh? I would have to change it about every 3 weeks then.. This is my only vehicle right now so it gets a lot of miles on it. I put 4k on it in under 3 months... Any specific reason for ever 1000k?

1980 KZ1000 LTD "Brandi"
4-1 Kerker
Dyna Coils
More to come this winter!

More
29 Sep 2009 05:20 #324572 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic How often do you oil your chain?
"Any specific reason for ever 1000k? "....
Because he takes good care of his mistress....;)

It's a 30 year old bike after all and if you keep her in clean oil, she'll behave....

Due to oil temperature breakdown, Dyno oil loses its lubrication factors. Some have gone the Synthetic route thus better temperature breakdowns thus increased lubrication... but some have had issues in this method where oil leaks start to occur (if buttoned up nicely (all bolts torqued to spec), new gaskets not an issue) so you can get some additional mileage between changes.

Pending where you live (extreme heat as here in AZ), performance motor upgrades, how you ride her etc... Clean oil is the recommendation... ;)

Sure you'll find on this site as well as others where ppl are trying to get 3000 miles before oil changes but why oh KZ Gods why would you go that route is beyond me...

KISS: Dyno Oil is cheap compared to a blown motor!

As Blue wrote, every 1000-1500 miles and change filters every other oil change would be ideal way to go...
Can't get any better than that...;)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
29 Sep 2009 06:34 - 29 Sep 2009 06:36 #324583 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic How often do you oil your chain?
"Every 1000k miles Huh? I would have to change it about every 3 weeks then.. This is my only vehicle right now so it gets a lot of miles on it. I put 4k on it in under 3 months... Any specific reason for ever 1000k?"

I understand if you put a lot of miles on a bike you would be changing a lot. I ride to work 2-3 times a week (30mi round trip) and some Sundays so I don't put lots of miles on. As OMR says, dino oil will wear down faster with the tremendous shearing forces of the tranny. So for me, every 1000K is about every 3-4 months. Plus this way my bike has never seen dirty oil in 30 years of ownership. Plus I have the benifit of being a mechanic at the same garage for 22 years and I get free oil! :woohoo:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Last edit: 29 Sep 2009 06:36 by Bluemeanie.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
29 Sep 2009 06:58 #324587 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic How often do you oil your chain?
bountyhunter wrote:

OKC_Kent wrote:

I do it often enough that I have a very oily rear rim.

I cured that problem by switching to the Dupont Teflon Multi-Use spray lube in the blue can ($5 at Lowes). It goes on wet but the carrier evaporates and leaves a waxy coating. Way better than the old slimy stuff.

I'm with Bountyhunter on the Dupont Teflon stuff at Lowes.
Damned good stuff. I put a brand new Regina O-ring chain and spockets on a couple years ago, and still have the marks exactly where they were that couple years ago. But I only wipe and respray the chain after I wash it, or ride in the rain, or just before I know I'm going on a long ride. I also run it a little loose. About 1.25" slop instead of 3/4".
I do think it's important to wipe and spray the chain as soon as you can after you ride in the rain. Road grit will eat up your O-rings pretty quick.

• likes2gofast2009
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Sep 2009 08:19 #324758 by likes2gofast2009
Replied by likes2gofast2009 on topic How often do you oil your chain?
Old Man Rock wrote:

It's a 30 year old bike after all and if you keep her in clean oil, she'll behave....

Due to oil temperature breakdown, Dyno oil loses its lubrication factors. Some have gone the Synthetic route thus better temperature breakdowns thus increased lubrication... but some have had issues in this method where oil leaks start to occur (if buttoned up nicely (all bolts torqued to spec), new gaskets not an issue) so you can get some additional mileage between changes.

Pending where you live (extreme heat as here in AZ), performance motor upgrades, how you ride her etc... Clean oil is the recommendation... ;)

Sure you'll find on this site as well as others where ppl are trying to get 3000 miles before oil changes but why oh KZ Gods why would you go that route is beyond me...

As Blue wrote, every 1000-1500 miles and change filters every other oil change would be ideal way to go...

OMR

Alright I see where you're coming from. What is Dyno oil? I run 10w40 Kawasaki oil through mine... $6 bucks a quart...

1980 KZ1000 LTD "Brandi"
4-1 Kerker
Dyna Coils
More to come this winter!

More
30 Sep 2009 08:42 #324760 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic How often do you oil your chain?
dino oil is regular oil the other type is synthetic

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
30 Sep 2009 11:10 #324786 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic How often do you oil your chain?

Use this stuff to clean the chain.

Use this stuff to lube the chain.

I can be found every other Friday cleaning and lubing my chain. I commute 60 miles a day, 6 days a week. I'm running an RK X-Ring Chain.

Remember the original owners manual recommendations were back with older technology, and lubes. Back in the day, my Dad use to have us clean our dirt bike chains with paint thinner, then he'd put them in very heavy oil, and bake them in the oven when Mom was out shopping. Oh those were the days. :laugh:

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
30 Sep 2009 13:55 #324794 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic How often do you oil your chain?
likes2gofast2009 wrote:

Old Man Rock wrote:

OMR

Alright I see where you're coming from. What is Dyno oil? ..

Regular oil that comes from the decomposed remains of dinosaurs. maybe other dead things too....

1979 KZ-750 Twin