brake testing?

More
15 Aug 2009 10:59 #314071 by Bicycle Lee
brake testing? was created by Bicycle Lee
So I'm finally putting the bike back together and I just tried to test the front brakes... I bled the lines and still am getting little to no resistance when I squeeze the lever. Do you need to have the cap to the master cylinder on when bleeding the brakes? I don't know why that would make a difference, but I'm just puzzled because when I disassembled the bike the brakes worked fine. I also just want to exhaust all of the options before I invest in rebuild kits.
What is the proper way to reassemble the brake system?

1978 KZ1000 police

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2009 11:00 #314072 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic brake testing?
keep on bleeding them,it just takes a while sometimes B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
15 Aug 2009 12:28 #314078 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic brake testing?
Alot of times it takes alot longer than we would think to bleed. It might be good to pump em then secure the brake lever so its squeezed then crack the bleed nipple just a little and let the air dribble out. Youll see little air bubbles leaking out and youll eventually get good pressure.

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
15 Aug 2009 12:40 #314081 by kano
Replied by kano on topic brake testing?
PLUMMEN wrote:

keep on bleeding them,it just takes a while sometimes B)

you can say that again bro!
my hydrolic clutch took ages too lol.

More
15 Aug 2009 13:01 - 15 Aug 2009 13:03 #314082 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic brake testing?
Yes mine took about 5 min. to finaly pump up. I change the boot on the brake line near the master cylinder.It was ugly and split in half. Anyway Sence it doesn't have as much volume/travel like a car/truck its hard to pump and hold.Theres alot of pumping but no hold until you get through a few minutes of doing it.Plus I wanted to flush out the OLD brake fliud and get fresh new fluid in there.

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD
Last edit: 15 Aug 2009 13:03 by mzandmz.

More
15 Aug 2009 14:30 #314101 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic brake testing?
Bicycle Lee wrote:

Do you need to have the cap to the master cylinder on when bleeding the brakes?

You better have something over it to keep the fluid from squirting onto the gas tank....:angry:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
15 Aug 2009 14:33 #314102 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic brake testing?
On my 78 it took almost a week. On my 77 I got smart and used a bleeder kit. No problem.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
15 Aug 2009 15:44 #314110 by Bicycle Lee
Replied by Bicycle Lee on topic brake testing?
I know I need a cap, but I was wondering if that was an integral part of getting the pressure up. I bled them until I didn't see bubbles and the fluid started coming out "clear" meaning the new fluid made it all the way through....

1978 KZ1000 police

More
15 Aug 2009 16:05 #314112 by mzandmz
No the pressure is made through the piston off the lever pushing in and forcing fluid down the hose. Cap just helps seal in brake fluid and seal out moisture thats drawn by brake fluid.

More
15 Aug 2009 16:08 #314113 by mzandmz
I thought of finding a cap that would fit tight that could have a hose attached and aply pressure to it slowly forcing down the fluid. Probably a clear one so you can keep an eye on the level. Safety first. Cover tank,cover eyes with protection.

More
15 Aug 2009 16:53 - 15 Aug 2009 16:54 #314121 by bountyhunter
Bicycle Lee wrote:

I know I need a cap, but I was wondering if that was an integral part of getting the pressure up.

Nope. When I bleed the front, I leave the cap off and fold up a clean shop rag and lay it over the reservoir. I open the lower drain fitting and put a clear tube on it to dump into a jar. Add fluid at the top and pump slowly. Keep adding before the fluid gets low or it will gulp air and screw up the bleed. Eventually, you should be able to get the air out.

If you have a mechanical pressure switch for the brake light along the line going down to the caliper, you may have to crack the fitting to allow air to push out if there is air trapped at the switch.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 15 Aug 2009 16:54 by bountyhunter.

More
15 Aug 2009 16:56 #314122 by bountyhunter
mzandmz wrote:

I thought of finding a cap that would fit tight that could have a hose attached and aply pressure to it slowly forcing down the fluid. Probably a clear one so you can keep an eye on the level. Safety first. Cover tank,cover eyes with protection.

I think they make something like that called "powerbleed" or some similar name. I have seen them used on cars.

1979 KZ-750 Twin