uneven drive chain wear

• jswag5
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • whats the big deal about harley, i prefer 4 cyls!!
More
07 Aug 2009 15:24 #312275 by jswag5
uneven drive chain wear was created by jswag5
ive come to the conclusion that my drivechain is completly unsafe to ride on anymore, i have tightened according to the information in my repair manual, but the last few days ive had to adjust about every 50 miles, and today when i adjusted the chain i noticed that one spot on the chain is almost too tight, but as i rotate the tire the chain slackens and slaps the frame, then rotate some more and too tight, counted my links, and ordered a new one and parked the bike in the back of my shed for the 2 weeks they say it will take to get it, but im getting it dirt cheap compared to most sites. any ideas or tips to keep my new chain in better shape?

82 kz1000p
83 yammie xj750mk bobber
78 honda cx500 standard cafe
RECENT 81 honda goldwing(barn fresh with 15000 on the clock)
if you cant fix it with a hammer and duct tape, get a bigger hammer and more duct tape!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2009 15:30 - 07 Aug 2009 15:32 #312277 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic uneven drive chain wear
jswag5 wrote:

ive come to the conclusion that my drivechain is completly unsafe to ride on anymore, i have tightened according to the information in my repair manual, but the last few days ive had to adjust about every 50 miles, and today when i adjusted the chain i noticed that one spot on the chain is almost too tight, but as i rotate the tire the chain slackens and slaps the frame, then rotate some more and too tight, counted my links, and ordered a new one and parked the bike in the back of my shed for the 2 weeks they say it will take to get it, but im getting it dirt cheap compared to most sites. any ideas or tips to keep my new chain in better shape?

Be sure to install new sprockets or the new chain will get hosed by the old worn sprockets.

I have started using a new spray lube called Du Pont teflon multi use in a blue can I get for $5 at Lowes. It's really good stuff and not sticky so it doesn't attract dirt. Use it every 300 miles and your chain should last.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 07 Aug 2009 15:32 by bountyhunter.

More
07 Aug 2009 23:20 #312346 by toadson
Replied by toadson on topic uneven drive chain wear
bountyhunter wrote:

I have started using a new spray lube called Du Pont teflon multi use in a blue can I get for $5 at Lowes. It's really good stuff and not sticky so it doesn't attract dirt. Use it every 300 miles and your chain should last.

I second the Teflon spray. I use it on my bike after I installed a new o-ring chain and have only adjusted it once that I can remember. It keeps the chain cleaner than oil, which I think will help a lot with the length of the chains life. It also doesn't fling off of the chain while you are riding if you don't over-apply it, keeping your back tire clean. You can also use some thick oil if you decide against the teflon spray. Just be sure to lubricate it often, as that will help more than anything.

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872

• jswag5
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Aug 2009 09:00 #312382 by jswag5
Replied by jswag5 on topic uneven drive chain wear
ive been using a parraffin wax based spray on lube, i spray the chain at least once per fill up(approx every 120 miles on my bike) and after any ride on wet roads or in rain. the wax doesnt fling off and needs to be applied to a warm chain. the chain was on the the bike when i bought it and could have already had some slight wear.

82 kz1000p
83 yammie xj750mk bobber
if you cant fix it with a hammer and duct tape, get a bigger hammer and more duct tape!!

More
08 Aug 2009 09:38 #312390 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic uneven drive chain wear
Chain Wax is good stuff...if you are using a non-o ring type chain. Do NOT lube an o-ring chain with anything heavier that WD-40 and even then, only for cleaning. If you apply normal chain lube to an o-ring chain, it will attract dirt which in turn wears the o-rings out very quickly. I installed a new quality o-ring chain over 10,000 km or so and I've only adjusted it once after initial break in. It's still like new and it's only been lubed with WD-40 (mainly for cleaning purposes)

Try it, it works.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
08 Aug 2009 14:53 #312450 by bountyhunter
jswag5 wrote:

ive been using a parraffin wax based spray on lube, i spray the chain at least once per fill up(approx every 120 miles on my bike) and after any ride on wet roads or in rain. the wax doesnt fling off and needs to be applied to a warm chain.

The Dupont Teflon multi use spray also leaves a wax coating, it's labeled a "dry wax lubricant". The cool thing is it hoses on wet so it penetrates, then the carrier evaporates and leaves the dry wax lube with teflon in it in the chain.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Aug 2009 15:35 #312460 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic uneven drive chain wear
buy a good chain,all the chain lube in the world will not make up for a cheap chain B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• Royal1MC
  • User
  • Is it just me, or is it just great to be on a KZ
More
08 Aug 2009 17:10 #312482 by Royal1MC
Replied by Royal1MC on topic uneven drive chain wear
PLUMMEN wrote:

buy a good chain,all the chain lube in the world will not make up for a cheap chain B)

Ditto, and I agree with replacing both sprockets when replacing the chain.

*1980 Z1-R (current))
*1978 KZ1000 LTD w/ Z1-R frnt end (sold)
*1977 KZ650 B1 (sold)

Los Angeles, CA

• jswag5
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Aug 2009 17:51 #314904 by jswag5
Replied by jswag5 on topic uneven drive chain wear
finally got my chain today, its an ek brand standard chain.
yes, against all your begging, i did not chainge my gears, i thouroughly inspected and checked them for wear(very minimal)
the bike is so friggin smooth now, i thought i was on a shafty!
i thought i could run one more chain through these sprockets(i plan on pulling the engine and changing all the seals and gaskets this winter, will change the sprockets at the same time.)
i sprayed it down heavily with my chain wax spray after i got done with my 6 mile ride.
gunna give it a long go tomorrow(prolly close to 300 miles)

82 kz1000p
83 yammie xj750mk bobber

More
18 Aug 2009 18:09 #314906 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic uneven drive chain wear
I found that chains are cheep enough that you can always change sprockets next go-around. Reverse the rotation of the sprockets and the'll last a while longer.

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD

More
18 Aug 2009 22:34 #314967 by bountyhunter
mzandmz wrote:

I found that chains are cheep enough that you can always change sprockets next go-around. Reverse the rotation of the sprockets and they'll last a while longer.

I found the opposite to be true. A good X-ring chain will run you about $100 and up (and you can go WAY up from there), but I can get brand new steel sprockets for about $12 (front) and $24 (rear).

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
18 Aug 2009 23:11 #314972 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic uneven drive chain wear
I use the wax also, but I believe in running a decent chain and sprockets. They are cheaper by the mile because they last longer. I have been known to ride until the chain jumps teeth on the rear sprocket. Now thats getting my moneys worth.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL