uneven drive chain wear

More
19 Aug 2009 08:40 - 19 Aug 2009 08:41 #315025 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic uneven drive chain wear
TerryK wrote "Chain Wax is good stuff...if you are using a non-o ring type chain."

Chain Wax works great on O-Ring chains too. I've used Chain Wax on my O-ring chain since installing it 13,000 miles ago and I've only had to adjust it about 1/16" so far. Just wipe off any excess after lubing. I lube it about every 400 - 500 miles. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 19 Aug 2009 08:41 by 650ed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2009 13:09 #315087 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic uneven drive chain wear
I agree with bountyhunter. But you have to do what you have to do, if you aren't buying new sprockets it's a good thing you got a standard chain for a cheap price. Standards wear quicker than o-ring or x-ring, so I bet your chain wears out at the same time as the sprockets now. But you know you'll be back in 8-10k miles(next summer maybe) telling us you need a new setup again. I have an x-ring with steel sprockets, at least 10k miles now with ONE adjustment. I expect to get 35k miles from it or more. I also use the Dupont Teflon every week, or 200-300 miles.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
19 Aug 2009 14:18 #315098 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic uneven drive chain wear
Not only is a good chain lube and service intervals necessary for long chain life, but chain alignment also reduces wear on the sprockets and chain as well. I bought one of these from my favorite on line tire store, and it works excellent on aligning the chain. PROFI LASER C.A.T.

www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=632_633_634

The laser light goes all the way up the chain, for very accurate alignment. Might be a little pricey for some, but it's makes aligning the chain much easier than just going by the marks on the swingarm.

The wheel and chain in the pictures never look like that on my bikes, and I should have cleaned it all before taking the pictures way back when I did this. Sorry. :blush:

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

• jswag5
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • whats the big deal about harley, i prefer 4 cyls!!
More
19 Aug 2009 16:22 #315129 by jswag5
Replied by jswag5 on topic uneven drive chain wear
CoreyClough wrote:

Not only is a good chain lube and service intervals necessary for long chain life, but chain alignment also reduces wear on the sprockets and chain as well. I bought one of these from my favorite on line tire store, and it works excellent on aligning the chain. PROFI LASER C.A.T.

www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=632_633_634

a cheap laser level does the same thing, but its a little trickier to do(thats what i use)

also, i tend to lube my chain everytime i stop for gas(about every 120-130 miles) and ill admit i occasionally miss one(if im in a hurry) but i make sur i lube it the very next chance i get.

ive went about 100 miles on this new chain so far, and i chcked the chain, oiled it up and thats all. it is holding up good so far!

82 kz1000p
83 yammie xj750mk bobber
78 honda cx500 standard cafe
RECENT 81 honda goldwing(barn fresh with 15000 on the clock)
if you cant fix it with a hammer and duct tape, get a bigger hammer and more duct tape!!