Front end feels uneasy, please help

More
03 Aug 2009 00:18 #311059 by comppro2k7
Front end feels uneasy, please help was created by comppro2k7
i have a 83 Kawasaki kz750 spectre, im getting a uneasy feeling in the front end,it feels like the front end will come out from under me(kinda like how it feels going over gravel on the road) It does it when i get around 45 mph or so and faster.there is no vibration in the bars and when i let go they don't shake or anything.It is creepy enough where im afraid to ride it much.I tried a new front tire got wheel rebalanced put new wheel bearings in the front wheel and no change.Also raised the bike on stand and felt no play in the steering bearings. Could bad fork oil or something like that cause it ? The bike only has 7500 original miles on it. Id appreciate any help, thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2009 00:53 #311082 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Front end feels uneasy, please help
its hard to tell exactly without seeing it,but id say change fork oil and measure springs B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
03 Aug 2009 01:48 #311095 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Front end feels uneasy, please help
If not already done, would check:
Air pressure in rear tire;
Alignment of rear wheel;
Shock settings are equal;
No excessive swing arm play.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
03 Aug 2009 05:35 #311111 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Front end feels uneasy, please help
Like Patton says check the rear set up. Sometimes ya think it's in the from when the back is really the culprit. ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
03 Aug 2009 07:05 #311121 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Front end feels uneasy, please help
I'm pretty sure that the 83 has air shocks in the front too. If there's no equalizing pipe between the two shocks (like my 82), that might be a culprit too

More
03 Aug 2009 16:33 #311279 by comppro2k7
Replied by comppro2k7 on topic Front end feels uneasy, please help
yea it has the front and rear air shocks, the tire pressure is good and its shaft drive so the rear wheel cant be out of alignment correct ? Also, how do you change the fork oil, i have a shop manual but its confusing, i know how to drain them but how and where do you pour the new oil in at ? and what weight fork oil ? Thanks

More
03 Aug 2009 21:11 #311378 by comppro2k7
i noticed tonight that when i rode on new smooth blacktop its barely noticeable, so would that indicate the fork oil bad ??

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
03 Aug 2009 23:00 - 03 Aug 2009 23:03 #311427 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Front end feels uneasy, please help
if you try the oil change you may also check the springs or see about some stiffer springs......it can't hurt to re-do the fluid....the first thing that came to "my" mind when i first read your description of the creepy unsettled walking out feeling is that i would stand up on the pegs doing like 25-35 on a long open street and see what my front is doing...easier for me cause i'm tall but still,you can see the tire rotating outta the fender and the track it is taking as compared to where the forks-fender-bars -instruments afre pointing......i do this when my front is doing anything i wanna see to confirm first hand...if you get comfy at this you can even tap the front brkes or steady increase the brake and see where the torque us twisting/rubbing or deforming any components .....at worst you will be able to see the run out a bit........by loosening the triple clamp bolts and steering tem lock/spanner nut a bit ---a guy can roll the bike where the front tire is touching a wall or garrage opening and turn the bars and re-set the alingment ..then retighten the trees and spanner and see if this improves any tracking feel...it has helped mke many times....small front end collisions can torque the front on bikes and never get re-set....just a thought...32-34-36 p.s.i is numbers to r=try and "KNOW" each will give a complete dif feel as you described,# 1 important is an air p.s.i that is right for "you"....good luck....i run 33 on my new brand both ends ,but used to swear by 36 back and 34 front.....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 03 Aug 2009 23:03 by trianglelaguna.

More
04 Aug 2009 01:57 #311434 by comppro2k7
how do you change the fork oil, i have a shop manual but its confusing, i know how to drain them but how and where do you pour the new oil in at ?

More
04 Aug 2009 03:18 #311440 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Front end feels uneasy, please help
I'm sure the manual says to remove the top caps in the tubes. Loosen the top triple tree clamp bolts before you try and remove the top caps. They are probably under a plastic cap.

Make sure the bike is raised off the ground before this procedure is started. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
04 Aug 2009 06:06 #311470 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Front end feels uneasy, please help
There's a recent KZ750 Spectre fork tube plug topic.

More
04 Aug 2009 14:31 #311535 by comppro2k7
i pulled off the rubber plugs on top of forks and its a solid metal plug under it, Ive never seen anything like it before.