Cross bracing

More
22 Jun 2009 08:48 #301323 by Lt.Dan
Replied by Lt.Dan on topic Cross bracing
Then you are going to have to make engine mount plates such as these:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2009 08:51 #301326 by Lt.Dan
Replied by Lt.Dan on topic Cross bracing
Also this was done to strengthen the swingarm in the day before good swing arms were available:
Attachments:

More
28 Jun 2009 16:15 #302827 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic Cross bracing
531blackbanshee wrote:

it is also under the kz information tab,under filebase,not model-spesific, the_frame.so all can access it.
here is another diagram.

leon holmes

Translated into real life on a Z1 frame (Z1E can order the kit for you from japan even though it isn't on their site).

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Attachments:

More
29 Jun 2009 23:48 #303296 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Cross bracing
I'd be careful about cutting out the sheet metal as well. Very little airflow will be added at useful speeds and it is a good way to strengthen the joint and distribute the loads.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
30 Jun 2009 14:59 #303424 by Yojymbo!
Replied by Yojymbo! on topic Cross bracing
What do you mean be careful cutting out the sheet metal? There is only one place I'm using sheet metal gussets and that is in the joint near the rectifier.

More
30 Jun 2009 15:01 - 30 Jun 2009 15:14 #303425 by Yojymbo!
leon holmes[/quote]

Translated into real life on a Z1 frame (Z1E can order the kit for you from japan even though it isn't on their site). [/quote]

That's pretty much exactly what I'm having done only I'm using a cross brace instead of a gusset in the side area behind the shifter/brake like the Cosopheoubouejhocue version and the braces in the eninge area are a bit longer and go farther down the frame. I also kept the stock tank mount and placed that triangle brace right behind it. The welder also filled in all the gaps and ground/rewelded all the poor Japanese production welds on the engine mounts and where I cut the passenger peg off but needed to keep the brake hole. I'll post some pics when I get it back on Friday. Although it is entirely possible I've pissed everyone off so much that nobody will look at them. :evil:

I've got an awsome oldschool (No CNC) machinist who does work for practically what an off the shelf part cost. I'll have some engine mounts machined up.
And then all I need is an 810 engine and some ported heads with oversize valves and a juicy cam... Well, hopefully by next summer anyway.
Last edit: 30 Jun 2009 15:14 by Yojymbo!.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
30 Jun 2009 15:31 #303435 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Cross bracing
Yojymbo! wrote:

Although it is entirely possible I've pissed everyone off so much that nobody will look at them.

You are probably right.
Start over and create a new name. You have an interest in these old bikes and this site is a wealth of info for projects. Remember most of us are at least 40 years old or better so childish name calling won't cut it here. There are members who are 18 that fit in well so its not age discrimination. You seem to be an alright guy with the same interest. Give it a try and see how it turns out.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
30 Jun 2009 16:17 #303448 by KawiConvert
Yojymbo! wrote:

I plan to cut out the triangular sheet metal area that is bellow the gastank and reinforcing the top and front. I wanted to replace it with a bar like the one above.

This is the metal I would keep and not cut out. Tubes create high pressure area compared to sheetmetal that distributes loads along the length. Adding tubes in addition would help, but to cut out the sheetmetal puts all of the load on one point where the tubing is.

Yojymbo! wrote:

Also a cross brace below the headers, by the airbox and the triangles with holes in them cause they look cool.

If you wanna look really cool you should drill speed holes throughout your frame.

Yojymbo! wrote:

I figure I might as well do it while the frame is stripped and the labor is cheap. That way this winter I can 810 a 750 or newer 650 engine out of a non running bike and just swap them, make some money while I'm at it maybe. Is it stupid to cut off the passenger peg mounts, center stand mounts and helmet lock?

Yuhp, now is the time to do it. You can take them all of, though you may want to consider where you are going to support it while changing oil, tires, etc. While you have bare metal might as well figure it out.

Yojymbo! wrote:

Things would be so much cleaner and what pussy can't lift their bike onto a makeshift stand for maintenance?

You should look into a hydraulic lift for those times your experiencing that time of the month and your boyfriend isn't around to help with the heavy lifting.

Yojymbo! wrote:

Although it is entirely possible I've pissed everyone off so much that nobody will look at them.

Now that you've located the problem you can fix it.

What kind of welder is your friend using? Are you doing anything to relieve the stresses in the welds?

More
30 Jun 2009 19:27 #303500 by Yojymbo!
He's not really my friend he's just a guy that does all types of welding and is an ex shipyard guy who doubles as a motorcycle fanatic. Most of the stuff he does is on newer bikes, he seems to know his trade. There are times when one has to let people work and not correct them constantly and be looking over their shoulder.

As for re-registering under another name. Wow, that would be pretty weak sauce.
If you don't appreciate me pointing out a selective scammer and requesting a dusting out of the archives and maybe for the seach engine to be fixed so I can at least turn the page then please don't reply or look at any of my threads. And no, I don't have 3,XXX some odd posts because I don't chime in on people's threads with unconstructive crap. I'm greatful to all the people here who help out, and everyone helps out on some level, but seriously get off my sack. I'm not 18 and even if I was there are a lot of 18yr olds out there who have seen and done things that would give you a heart attack. So, for the 5 or sixth time via PM and thread I will not swear so much in text but don't be such whiney little Jap bikers, it's like you are being the alter-stereo type of Harley guys. So, I'll play nicer and I've tried to make good with those who I've engaged in a pissing contest with. So, that being said I am who's I am. I'll leave when they kick me out.

More
30 Jun 2009 21:04 #303525 by KawiConvert
Yojymbo! wrote:

He's not really my friend he's just a guy that does all types of welding and is an ex shipyard guy who doubles as a motorcycle fanatic. Most of the stuff he does is on newer bikes, he seems to know his trade. There are times when one has to let people work and not correct them constantly and be looking over their shoulder.

]

Agreed unless its my bike and I am planning on riding it. Just wanted to encourage using tig, especially with some of the rods that do not require heat treatment. He may be a fine welder of ships, but unless your on a goldwing that may not apply directly to your situation.

Yojymbo! wrote:

As for re-registering under another name. Wow, that would be pretty weak sauce.

Hmmm, not sure how that changes things. But yeah, we'd probably figure out who you were real fast.

Yojymbo! wrote:

If you don't appreciate me pointing out a selective scammer and requesting a dusting out of the archives and maybe for the seach engine to be fixed so I can at least turn the page then please don't reply or look at any of my threads.

Nope, it was the way you choose to express yourself that got you in the headlights of some KZR members. You can gripe about sellers and search functions till your fingers go numb.

Yojymbo! wrote:

And no, I don't have 3,XXX some odd posts because I don't chime in on people's threads with unconstructive crap.

Nope, just your own.

Yojymbo! wrote:

I'm greatful to all the people here who help out, and everyone helps out on some level,

Your welcome!

Yojymbo! wrote:

but seriously get off my sack.

That's disgusting. You really shouldn't leave that thing laying around where just anyone can step on it. Have some pride in your possesions.

Yojymbo! wrote:

I'm not 18 and even if I was there are a lot of 18yr olds out there who have seen and done things that would give you a heart attack. So, for the 5 or sixth time via PM and thread I will not swear so much in text

Thanks for that, as bikes do not need to make your vocabulary shrink.

Yojymbo! wrote:

but don't be such whiney

Pot and kettle

Yojymbo! wrote:

little Jap bikers,

Enough with the language and racist remarks. Either grow up or recognize there's a V-twin in your near future.

Yojymbo! wrote:

it's like you are being the alter-stereo type of Harley guys. So, I'll play nicer and I've tried to make good with those who I've engaged in a pissing contest with. So, that being said I am who's I am. I'll leave when they kick me out.

No, just trying to be decent humans and fellow riders. If that is the alter-ego to the Harley crowd then so be it, but don't expect everyone else to get all happy when you post after running out of your bi-polar meds.

And for the record, this was all meant to be constructive, just not about your bike. I tried that twice and got nowhere, so I went for the other areas that could use some constructive criticism.

Good luck with the frame and for heaven's sake, post some pics of your bike already!

More
01 Jul 2009 00:10 - 01 Jul 2009 00:12 #303554 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic Cross bracing

Yojymbo! wrote:

Translated into real life on a Z1 frame (Z1E can order the kit for you from japan even though it isn't on their site).

I also kept the stock tank mount and placed that triangle brace right behind it.

Might be hard to see in the pic but the stock tank mount is still there on my frame. The kit doesn't interfere with any of the stock components

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Jul 2009 00:12 by KZ250LTD.

More
02 Jul 2009 18:51 - 02 Jul 2009 18:56 #303971 by Yojymbo!
Yes, he is using TIG welds. Have a little faith my man.;)

As for pics it looks like every other KZ when it is taken completely apart. And I have not picked up the frame yet. If you want to see pictures of forks soaking in citrus solvent and acetone. Sorry.:S

Did you cut any metal out of from under your tank? Mine has a lot more going farther back.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2009 18:56 by Yojymbo!.