Grips, Grips, which Grips?????????????

More
11 Mar 2006 07:26 #30089 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Grips, Grips, which Grips?????????????
The reason I like original is pretty simple. If the Kawasaki would work better with 3" diameter foam grips, or looked better with a "nice" paintjob like some of them I see on the group, or worked better with the fenders removed, 12" extended swingarms, chainguards removed, goofy humpback/touring seats ect, why in the hell didn't Kawasaki build them that way!!
Because they don't work better that way is the simple answer, and they don't look better either putting it in mild words.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2006 08:33 #30099 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Grips, Grips, which Grips?????????????
900cows wrote:

Super bike,Fossil. Ill bet she pulls hard! Does it want ta wheelie alot or not. what do u think it would run in the quarter mile?

It does pull hard, scared/surprised myself a few times almost going right off the back of the seat before I got the solo race seat for it. Rolling it on hard, the front end does get light, and shifting at high revs, it gets real light. 1/4 mile times, I have no idea.

More
11 Mar 2006 08:49 #30102 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Grips, Grips, which Grips?????????????
RonKZ650 wrote:

The reason I like original is pretty simple. If the Kawasaki would work better with 3" diameter foam grips, or looked better with a "nice" paintjob like some of them I see on the group, or worked better with the fenders removed, 12" extended swingarms, chainguards removed, goofy humpback/touring seats ect, why in the hell didn't Kawasaki build them that way!!
Because they don't work better that way is the simple answer, and they don't look better either putting it in mild words.

Kawasaki built these bikes to appeal to a broad spectrum of riders, built to a price with what was available way back then. Owners have always modified their bikes to perform, feel or look a certain way to suit them. Nothing really wrong with stock, but there is always room for improvement. The mods done to my bike have improved handling, looks, HP and reduced weight without sacrificing anything from the original bike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxjonz

More
13 Mar 2006 06:49 #30596 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Grips, Grips, which Grips?????????????
I have Grand Touring grips too. Except I turned them upside down so the fin on the end points up instead of down. That way I can rest my hand on the fin instead of having to hold the grip any harder than neccesary.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
13 Mar 2006 20:43 #30874 by xstreamcanadian
Replied by xstreamcanadian on topic Grips, Grips, which Grips?????????????
There is a company called ODI, I used there grip on my dirt bike and now on both my mountain bikes, they are great in rain, mud, sun whatever, not too fat and not too soft, they are good for pretty much everything. www.odigrips.com/index.html

The thing is that they make grips for dirt bikes and jet skis and mt bikes, but not so much for road bikes, but I am sticking on mine anyway, I have a pair of the rogue and ruffians. You can also throw on really cool bar end plugs, I have black ones with skulls..... uhm I guess I shared too much again.

More
16 Mar 2006 06:24 #31613 by elr658
Replied by elr658 on topic Grips, Grips, which Grips?????????????
RonKZ650 has just voiced my opinion on bike modifications.

That said, I use GrabOn Touring grips with chrome caps. Except on my ELR, which has GrabOns.

More
16 Mar 2006 07:51 - 03 Dec 2008 19:53 #31624 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 19:53 by JMKZHI.

More
16 Mar 2006 11:57 #31728 by gas
Replied by gas on topic Grips, Grips, which Grips?????????????
I've had two sets of black foam grips from Denniskirk. The Johars and Grab on, If I remember correctly. Both were ridged on either end and had grooves in the grip body (I think). Unfortunately I have the skinnier set on now and want to replace back to the thicker set, but can't remember which was which. I like the thicker set because it fills my hand better and is incredibly comfortable. I'll probably have to buy several sets until I find the correct pair and get that "just right" feel again. I noticed the difference right away after replacing the first(thicker)set........I think that someone once mentioned that J.C.Whitney sold thick foam grips.

Cool, I just looked at this pic from last summer and see that the replacement foams are not grooved, meaning that I now know which set is thicker. Or atleast know that if I order both sets, they have to be grooved. Oh ya, if you get bar end weights like this from Denniskirk, you'll likely have to grind them as they didn't fit inside my 7/8 bars.

Post edited by: gas, at: 2006/03/16 15:08
Attachments:

More
17 Mar 2006 15:39 #32033 by KawasakiBob
Replied by KawasakiBob on topic Grips, Grips, which Grips?????????????
I gotta agree with Fossil on this one.

Superbike grips by Galindo have been by far my favorite on all of my KZ's.

Post edited by: KawasakiBob, at: 2006/03/17 18:40

More
17 Mar 2006 15:50 #32037 by mykznme
Replied by mykznme on topic Grips, Grips, which Grips?????????????
i couldnt disagree with some of the previous statements more, superbike grips suck ass.
one of my riding buddies rides a kitana750 and the grips are an eighth of an inch larger then the bars.
my hands go numb after 10 minutes.
my grips are roughly 1 3/4" in diameter and a helluva lot more comfortable.

Post edited by: mykznme, at: 2006/03/17 18:53

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

More
17 Mar 2006 16:15 #32044 by KawasakiBob
Replied by KawasakiBob on topic Grips, Grips, which Grips?????????????
On a side note, when buying online (Dennis Kirk, Motorsports Factory, etc) think about something....

These companies ONLY have deals on discontinued or clearance items. The other 90% of their items you're paying FULL POP (retail).

Please try and keep your local mom and pop shops open by buying from them if possible.

If ya create a good relationship with them, you'll get better deals than ya think ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxjonz

More
07 Mar 2014 22:34 #624487 by motomadlin32
Replied by motomadlin32 on topic Grips, Grips, which Grips?????????????
I just got some grips for my project haven't used them yet but they feel really good lol
Attachments: