Tires and Steering

More
28 May 2009 14:30 #294680 by Darkangel
Tires and Steering was created by Darkangel
As many of you know i have taken my KZ, and totally messed it up. And in order to get the speed and looks it needs to fit it's part....

So....
Does anyone know the size of the KZ 1100 (83) tires? Do they make sports tires for this bike.

Why when I turn does my backend wobbles? All I have done is put air in my shocks...

When i moved my forks up, and the TT down, why is it my forks leak all the i put in them 15 mins after they are full.

Can someone please be nice enough to answer these questions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2009 15:45 #294691 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Tires and Steering
Your tire size should be on the sidewall of the tire. Probably somewhere around a 130/90/?? (not sure the inch diameter of the tire...) As far as sport tires go, check out some of the Avon and Metzler tires. You're not going to find a modern crotch rocket type tire though (probably not what you wanted to hear).

Check to see that your rear wheel is installed squarely. If you've got an angle to the rear wheel it's going to do crazy things to you in a turn. Also possible that you over inflated the air shocks and you're not getting any give in the suspension as you go around corners.

Are your forks air forks? Or fluid? Either way you're looking at bad fork seals if it's leaking everything out. Not sure why that happened after moving the forks in the trees, but that's what's happening. Time to replace the fork seals brother.

Hope that helps.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
28 May 2009 16:15 #294692 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Tires and Steering
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationebay item 220406606080

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
28 May 2009 16:19 #294693 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Tires and Steering
Buy that FSM!!! It'll be the best $$ you ever spend on that bike.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
28 May 2009 17:06 #294705 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Tires and Steering
anarki650 wrote: Buy that FSM!!! It'll be the best $$ you ever spend on that bike.

AMEN Brother! Over time, the correct Kawasaki Service Manual will save you $$$$$$$$ not to mention possibly your hide! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
28 May 2009 20:52 #294767 by Darkangel
Replied by Darkangel on topic Tires and Steering
yep! i bought the manual, and I put a lot of air in the rear shocks....But what i did do, you know the little things that equalize the air between the shocks...i believe that is what is leaking..

More
30 May 2009 12:08 #295064 by Darkangel
does anyone know what that little thing is called

More
30 May 2009 12:34 #295066 by Darkangel

More
30 May 2009 13:55 #295084 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Tires and Steering
How much air did you put in the shocks/forks. What PSI did you put in? Were they holding air before? Tire size is in your manual under specifications. Good and great tires are available but not sure what you mean about modern sportbike tires. You do not have a modern sportbike. If you want these fattie low profile custom tires be prepared to change rims, forks and swing arm. Along with triple trees and brakes. Pretty sure you will spend a fortune getting what you want and even then you are not going to have what you want. You would need a ton of engine work and frame work. Much cheaper to buy a crotch rocket if that is what you want than to take old tech and play it forward. Not saying it can't be done. But the road is very steep!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
30 May 2009 19:23 #295149 by Darkangel
i do not recall exactly how much air I put into the forks...all I know is i put it in there...and it's no air in there now. Before it leaked air, only because the valve core was bad...i replaced it, and then everything was fine..Until I moved my forks up so i could put my clip ons, on the bike. And as far as the tire goes...I already found some tires from AVON, and they fit the KZ, and they are for sport tires...rated up 130..

More
30 May 2009 20:44 #295172 by Darkangel
So is that the type bearings i need!

More
31 May 2009 08:40 #295280 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Tires and Steering
Looks like it, if your bike is on the list then those are the ones. That is the all-balls set.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust