Tires and Steering

More
31 May 2009 16:01 #295346 by Darkangel
Replied by Darkangel on topic Tires and Steering
any easy way to get them out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2009 16:19 #295352 by Darkangel
Also After looking at my forks, there are two little holes, that are like above these ring like things that have a hose connecting one to the other tube...i believe thats where my air is leaking from the little metal rings..How do i fix that..

More
31 May 2009 17:26 #295367 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Tires and Steering
Darkangel wrote:

Also After looking at my forks, there are two little holes, that are like above these ring like things that have a hose connecting one to the other tube...i believe thats where my air is leaking from the little metal rings..How do i fix that..

O-rings or teflon tape depending on what it uses to seal up. I am not familiar with your model, but it may have a schrader valve core that needs replaced.

As for the bearings, if you know someone with a welder and they can weld a bead on the inside of the frame race and when it cools it will tap out easily. As for the race on your triples, it can be pressed off or tapped of carefully. Some use a dremel to cut through most of the way and then split it with a punch. If you have a torch you can heat the race and that will help it to fall off.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
31 May 2009 21:23 #295421 by Darkangel
So does anyone else know perhaps what I am talking about. One my bike there are two ring like devices that have a hose connected to them, and they are on each fork cylinder, and the spots they go over are little holes, I believe thats where the air is seeping out.these little guys look like that eqaulize the air between the forks, and i have the rings covering the holes where the hoses are leading from cylinder to cylinder.

• l0g1c
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
31 May 2009 23:49 #295439 by l0g1c
Replied by l0g1c on topic Tires and Steering
How much PSI did you pump it up to? Did you use a compressor or a bicycle pump? You should be using a bicycle pump. A compressor will start blowing all sorts of seals.

You are correct in the function of that tube; it equalizes the pressure between the shocks. However, I don't think this is causing your issue. I would guess that some of the other suggestions already made are more likely. Namely, bad bearings, or bad alignment.

I'd check your bearings ASAP and then worry about your shocks.

With your shocks, just check the nearest parts store for air shock stuff, even for cars. I'd bet that it's pretty easy for you to find line, connectors, and o-rings for it. One can hope, at least.:laugh:

Good luck!

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE

• wagonmaster69
  • User
  • 78 KZ1000A2 / 82 KZ1100 Spectre
More
31 May 2009 23:54 #295440 by wagonmaster69
Replied by wagonmaster69 on topic Tires and Steering
the thing your talking about is a bye pass from one fork to another.
that is because you have air forks and it distributes air to each fork.
when you lowered the the front you put those two little hole out of the seals so no air will stay in.
and if you use an air compressor you probably blew the fork seals you need to use an hand pump.

78 KZ1000 work in progress in Hacienda Heights California and a 82 KZ1100 Spectra And a 1992 ZX11.

More
01 Jun 2009 08:03 #295462 by Darkangel
yes i used a Compressor, so does anyone know what the seals are called or whatever..I will get the bearings order on my next check, and get the tubes work on as well, and hopefully that will fix my steering issue. i thought it was because of my clip ons...and then I thought about all of the other guys that have 650 and 900 with the clip ons...soo...i hope this will fix it all...i am in need of a lot of tools if I am going to be working on my bikes like this...

More
01 Jun 2009 08:03 #295463 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Tires and Steering
Not suggesting that you do it, but you can use spacers rather than air to preload shocks. However, air is a lot easier to adjust and use. Like others have said, use a hand pump to get the air pressure, and don't go too high. If you could post a picture of where the problem is that will go a long ways to diagnosing the problem.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
01 Jun 2009 08:46 #295470 by Darkangel
Will post one when I get home from lunch.