I blew up a wheel bearing!!

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
15 May 2009 19:13 #291531 by hardr0ck68
I blew up a wheel bearing!! was created by hardr0ck68
I was having serious rear wheel issues, the rear wheel was moving all around the adjustment range and making alot of clunking noises....

I decided it was unride-able and pulled it all apart. The hub bearing was in a thousand pieces! I am missing the piece that spaces the hub bearing and the left wheel bearing. When looking through my spare wheel parts I also found a rear wheel spacer (brake side) that was longer than the spacer I had on the bike... but I am not sure which one to really use.

I will post some pictures and parts diagrams, but yeah it was a bad day for me, luckily it all happened very close to home, and there was no serious injuries!

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• l0g1c
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
15 May 2009 19:30 #291535 by l0g1c
Replied by l0g1c on topic I blew up a wheel bearing!!
Oh, I've been there, man. My bearing had disintegrated as well, so I was left to pound the outer races out with a drift punch and a hammer. By the time I was done, I had obliterated the punch.

Glad to hear you weren't hurt! I know my heart skipped a beat when I saw what I was riding on.

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE

More
15 May 2009 19:32 #291536 by toadson
Replied by toadson on topic I blew up a wheel bearing!!
Glad to hear you didn't get hurt, that could have been a bad accident. I replaced my rear bearing when I installed my new swing arm and chain as a preventative measure. I've got the front one too, but haven't got around to it yet. Kind of weird you lost the spacer for the wheel, I don't see how that could have happened, but who knows. Get us some pics and I'm sure someone can help ya out!

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 May 2009 19:50 #291540 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic I blew up a wheel bearing!!
I am missing parts 12 and 18 from the rear end.

It is not really that off for parts to be missing, my bike was about hopeless when I got it... it has been taken apart by many people with more good intentions than brains many times (this includes my initial attempts at "repairs").

I just want to find the parts quickly and get this sorted, because the bike is running better every day (with work every evening)

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.
Attachments:

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 May 2009 19:51 #291541 by hardr0ck68
oops that is not the parts diagram that is a photo of a passed out korean man in the elevator...he pissed himself.

lets try this again!

1977 kz650 c1

Attachments:

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 May 2009 20:08 #291549 by hardr0ck68
Also here is a picture of the spacer I have on the bike (on the right, the short one) and one that I have in my box of wheel parts (the one on the left)

They are both for 650's as far as I know, and I honestly do not know witch one to use on my bike... I am hoping someone knows.

1977 kz650 c1

Attachments:

More
16 May 2009 04:46 #291607 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic I blew up a wheel bearing!!
Just install each spacer and see which one brings the rear sprocket in line with the front sprocket. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
16 May 2009 05:07 - 16 May 2009 05:08 #291610 by Dragone
Replied by Dragone on topic I blew up a wheel bearing!!

oops that is not the parts diagram that is a photo of a passed out korean man in the elevator...he pissed himself.

and stay away from elevators....
Last edit: 16 May 2009 05:08 by Dragone.

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 May 2009 08:18 #291636 by hardr0ck68
I need to find part 42036-1005 Sleeve, Rear hub coupler

does anyone have one? It is off of a 77 kz650 c1.

Can someone run it through cross reference software?

I really need to find one so I can get back on the road!

P.s.
It was common to see things like that in Korea... lots of discussions happen over bottle after bottle of liquor. We were on the 13th floor of a building so we road down with him, we just stood out side of his puddle.

1977 kz650 c1

More
16 May 2009 17:44 #291756 by gane
Replied by gane on topic I blew up a wheel bearing!!
Hardrock. If memory serves, the spacer you're missing (#12) in diagram, fits inside the cush drive's bearing, and mates to the l/h wheel hub bearing. If I'm correct (and I believe I am ), neither of shown spacers are the one you need. put your' axle in cush drive and look to it's bearing. if I am correct, the missing spacer's duty will be obvious, it not only centers drive, but in stages locates all 3 bearings. luck g

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 May 2009 20:31 #291788 by hardr0ck68
You are right gare, the pictured spacers are both #14

One came from the bike and another from a parts box... the problem is, I don't know which one is correct. The one I removed from the bike could be wrong, because it came out of the parts box last year.

So to sum my problems up...

I am missing part number 12

I do not know what models used this part to help find a replacement

I have two brake side spacers (part number 14) and don't know which one is correct.

I may or may not need part number 18 (an o-ring) I need to double check and degrease everything to tell for sure, but I so far have not seen it.

Any input on locating part number 12 (42036-1005 Sleeve, Rear hub coupler) would be greatly appreciated!

1977 kz650 c1

More
17 May 2009 18:51 #292180 by tinlizzie37
Replied by tinlizzie37 on topic I blew up a wheel bearing!!
Hi Hardrock, I believe I have a spacer for a 77 KZ 650, but don't know if it's a B or C model. It had wire spokes on it. The spacer should fit between the two bearings with the snap ring installed with no lateral movement.If you can't get the snap ring on, then it's too long. Let me know if you want it. It's yours for the postage, if I can find it. The spacers you show are the outer one for the brake side. Bob U

Bob KZ 650 E1, En 450