'81 KZ650 CSR - need a part

More
13 May 2009 18:01 - 13 May 2009 18:10 #290913 by matkz650ku
'81 KZ650 CSR - need a part was created by matkz650ku
Hey all,

I just picked up an '81 kz650 and need to get two things done before I can even think of starting to run it on the streets. Since I'm pretty new to this all, I was hoping I could get some help.

1) Leaking petcock: Fuel is leaking from the petcock, I'm not sure how to tell if it's just the gaskets or not. I'm planning on getting a rebuild kit and hoping that will solve the problem. How do I know if I need just a valve gasket or a complete kit?

2) Rear break piece missing: The rear break is missing the connector/sleeve piece that connects the rear brake pushrod to the lever on the drum brakes. I have tried looking at parts diagrams and can' seem to find it. Can someone help me identify the piece and where to get it?

edit: I think i found it, is this it? www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=3217

Hopefully the community here is able to help me get this bike together so I can start riding with everyone.
Last edit: 13 May 2009 18:10 by matkz650ku.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2009 18:36 - 13 May 2009 18:37 #290927 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic '81 KZ650 CSR - need a part
Hello, matkz650ku, and WELCOME to KZR! :)
We're glad you're here! :cheer:

You're in good hands with Z1E.

Hard to guess about the petcock. If doubtful, would probably go for the full kit.

If not already fitted with an inline fuel filter, would also order and install one of those (a pair of them if running dual fuel lines).

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 13 May 2009 18:37 by Patton.

More
13 May 2009 20:48 - 13 May 2009 20:51 #290994 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic '81 KZ650 CSR - need a part
I have the same bike. Z1Enterprises.com has a K&L petcock rebuild kit - I installed one several years ago. K&L parts are made in Japan & OEM quality.

For the brake part, reference the diagrams at Kawasaki.com.
It'll either be in the Brake-Pedal/Torque-Link diagram or the Rear-Hub/Brake/Chain diagram. Then see if Z1 has it individually, or try ebbaayy.

Also, if the age of the rear brake shoes cannot be verified, replace them.
The glue that binds the lining to the shoe gets old.
Last edit: 13 May 2009 20:51 by JMKZHI.

More
13 May 2009 23:20 #291019 by matkz650ku
Replied by matkz650ku on topic '81 KZ650 CSR - need a part
wow.. thanks so much, for some reason I just could not find the part when I was looking. Z1 does have it individually so that works out perfectly, much cheaper.

Any other parts I should order so I can have it all here and ready for when I"m back in town? I believe there is still life on the front pads, but they are aged, so not sure if that means they should be replaced. I'm going to give the bike a better look over tomorrow before I make my orders.

More
14 May 2009 07:00 #291060 by JMKZHI
Oil filters, spare air filter, fuel tank gasket, spark plugs (as a spare set), fuel filters (I like the clear plastic kind - the larger size), rear brake shoes (as mentioned, replace them if they're old - trust me), metric feeler gauge for checking the valve clearances - this is an oft neglected maintenance task - it must be done.

Since the bike is new to you, it would be a good idea to assess the front brake. If it looks clean & the fluid is clear & seems to be functioning fine, then you may be good to go. If it has the original rubber lines, keep in mind that they're over 25 yrs old.

Before installing the petcock kit, clean it up first of course. I buffed the mating surfaces of mine w brass wool.

More
14 May 2009 10:44 #291151 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic '81 KZ650 CSR - need a part
Wlcome.
Depending on the cost of the petcock rebuild kit, you may want to replace the petcock all together.
Many KZ owners have rebuilt theirs only to find it still leaked. I was lucky to just replace the rubber ring behind the petcock lever, the one with 4 holes in it to fix my petcock with success.
Z1enterprises sells a Suzuki petcock that's a dirrect fit for about $36. Just some gas line fitting differnces with it though.

More info here; forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=1221.0

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
14 May 2009 14:52 #291209 by JMKZHI
I could be wrong, but it seems like it's only the earlier KZs that have the rebuild kit problems. Also, the bolt hole spacing on the CSR petcock is 34mm; the earlier KZs & the Suzuki are 44mm.

More
14 May 2009 14:58 - 14 May 2009 15:00 #291210 by matkz650ku
Finally took a good look at the brakes and have some things to report. The filters were all done (except fuel, thanks for reminding me), will do spark plugs.

1) How do i tell if the rear drum brakes are good are not? I opened them up and they look alright and they move up without any problems. The dial was at the very right end of "usable" range.

2) The front calipers were GUNKY. I'm not sure if it's black grease that built up or if they were even attempted to be painted black, but it doesn't look very good. I will post up a picture soon, but I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to just clean them, get new pads, and rebuild kit and if there are other parts of it I need to replace, pic will help I hope.

2+) the screws for my brake fluid reservoir is stripped. What are my options?

3) I found a tear in the 4 hole gasket and it seems likely to be the culprit. I will try to look for a new petcock as well unless someone knows one that will fit a 81' CSR H1 direct.

4) Should I replace any of the sprockets or chain? I'm sure it's always better, but part of the reason for buying an older bike at a cheap price was because it was cheap! all these little parts are getting expensive.

I also want to try and clean it up as much as I can. I will do a search but have to catch a flight very soon so if someone doesn't mind saving me some time. what can I use to clean all the screws and parts (parts cleaner vs brake cleaner, I have no idea)? What should I be careful not to use it on (rubbers/gaskets)? I have the screws and parts for the rear hub and front caliper that I would like to clean. (no sprocket/chain of course). I will do a search on this metric feeler gauge.

Thank you all so much for your help and suggestions so far. I'm trying to get this bike in safe running shape as quickly as possible without too much cost. I have boards coming up and technically should not be doing anything but studying, so hopefully I can find time to get this bike together and riding.
Last edit: 14 May 2009 15:00 by matkz650ku.

More
14 May 2009 17:22 #291234 by JMKZHI
The issue w the rear brake shoes will be a function of time.
If they're old, the glue that binds the lining to the shoe is old. You may be able to ride the bike as is without replacing. maybe not. It's impossible to know.

I rebuilt my front brake: new stainless steel lines, new K&L calilper piston, new K&L caliper rebuild kit; I refurbished the caliper by cleaning it, buffing the piston surfaces w brass wool & repainting it. The master cylinder was fine, so I didn't do anything to it.

Disassemble your petcock & clean it up. If it looks fine, w no pitting, scratches or gouges (or whatever), then it'll probably be fine. If so, get the K&L rebuild kit.

Unless you can tell the sprockets & chain are obviously worn, I wouldn't bother w that for now. Just keep the chain lubricated; I like the LiquidWrench Cycle Chain Lube - plus it's readily available at various places & it's cheap at $3 a big can.

More
15 May 2009 14:14 - 15 May 2009 14:19 #291455 by matkz650ku
I guess I will just replace the shoes. So here are the pics I snapped of the caliper. Where can I get a new caliper pistons? I'm trying to get an idea if this caliper is rebuildable and what would be needed.

Last edit: 15 May 2009 14:19 by matkz650ku.

More
15 May 2009 16:11 - 15 May 2009 16:13 #291475 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic '81 KZ650 CSR - need a part
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationmatkz650ku wrote:

...here are the pics I snapped of the caliper. Where can I get a new caliper pistons? I'm trying to get an idea if this caliper is rebuildable and what would be needed.

A caliper may often be refurbished, and piston may be perfectly okay with a little TLC.

Here are links to Z1E's
Caliper Kit
and
Clymer Manual

Or do yourself a really big favor by acquiring an FSM, such as this ebay item 290031559035

Caliper parts diagram from kawasaki.com is shown below.

Good Luck! :)

[Click on image for clearer view]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 May 2009 16:13 by Patton.

More
15 May 2009 18:09 - 15 May 2009 18:21 #291511 by matkz650ku
Does the FSM provide a lot more than what Clymer gives? I have clymer's already.

I was actually having trouble removing the pads. Clymer says to just remove it and I could not do that. Tips? Also are these the correct placement pads, the description does not list the KZ650

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=3364

Also is this fuel filter usable? It was listed under my model, but of course looks like a aftermarket replacement:

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=3289
Last edit: 15 May 2009 18:21 by matkz650ku.