Tubeless tire on spoke rims...

• racer54
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
25 Apr 2009 19:06 #285247 by racer54
Tubeless tire on spoke rims... was created by racer54
Have myself a 5.5x18 rim and going to mount up a Shinko 003. Have been told not to run a tube in a radial tire by a tire store. Have also been told, by another tire store, that you can use a tube in a tubeless tire if the rim is designed for this type tire. It is...it has the ridges in the rim to hold a tubeless tire. Are all these new sportbike tires radials? Was told can't run a tube made for a biasply tire in a radial tire. Are all tubes for bias tires. One bike store sells tubes in the size for this size tire so it must be right what they are saying? I know you can use silicone to cover the nipple/spokes to seal the rim also. Anyone done this? I know they do this but have never seen a rim after it's been done. Do you sust cover the nipples/spockes or do you go side to side...and how thick do you put it on? Any special type of silicone be better for this? Canyou buy this stuff in quantity as I'm sure it will take quite a bit. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, pictures of a wheel done this way to show what it should look like when done?

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2009 19:14 #285251 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Tubeless tire on spoke rims...
unless you get a spoked rim that is proper ly done for tubeless i would run the tube in it and yes most if not all sport bike bike tires are radials, but even still i would put a tube in it.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
25 Apr 2009 19:45 - 25 Apr 2009 19:46 #285256 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Tubeless tire on spoke rims...
Pirelli Sport Demon - Bias; NOT radial....

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Apr 2009 19:46 by 650ed.

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
25 Apr 2009 21:19 #285269 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic Tubeless tire on spoke rims...
I have successfully run tubeless tires WITHOUT tubes on my spoked rims.

I checked all spokes to be sure they were snug and tuned the wheel so that it was running very true. Then installed a schrader valve intended for use with a tubeless wheel.

After a thorough cleaning and wire brushing of the spoke nipples and recessed area of the rim, I used a liberal quantity of 3M 5200. This is a marine adhesive that turns into a firm rubber state after it cures. The curing process is slow - takes about a week. The stuff has tremendous adhesive properties.

I am completely satisfied with the results. Nice to not have to buy tubes, or risk pinching them upon installation.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

More
25 Apr 2009 21:28 #285273 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Tubeless tire on spoke rims...
a marine adhesive sounds good like the answer to a lot of guy's prayers it sounds like it might be a good idea to bead blast steel wheels to get rid of the rust build up first wear can you buy this wonderful product any big chain stores or is more specialty.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• racer54
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
25 Apr 2009 23:42 #285317 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Tubeless tire on spoke rims...
OK...I can find butyl and natural rubber inner-tubes. There are tubes for radial tires. Which one do I need for radial tires. Can only find a couple places that have tubes for a 180/55-18 tire and they don't specify which rubber they are using. Anyone know where I can find the right tube to use in a radial tire in this size?

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
26 Apr 2009 01:00 - 26 Apr 2009 01:25 #285325 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Tubeless tire on spoke rims...
Tubeless style rims have raised ridges forming grooves to hold the tire in place if air pressure is lost.

Tube-style rims don't have the ridges.

Most spoke wheels have tube-style rims without the ridges.

It's dangerous to run any type tire on a non-tubeless style rim without using a tube.

Because without a tube, and without the ridges, hitting a sufficient bump may allow all air pressure to immediately escape between the tire bead and rim. Which is akin to a blow-out, not a slow-out.

So best wishes for continued good luck to anyone running any type tire on a non-tubeless rim without using a tube.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 26 Apr 2009 01:25 by Patton.

More
26 Apr 2009 01:20 #285327 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
26 Apr 2009 01:21 #285328 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
26 Apr 2009 01:29 #285329 by Patton
A spoke wheel rim usually has the spoke nuts exposed inside under the tube. And it's a good idea to fit a rim strip (or some folks just use duct tape) to protect the tube.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
26 Apr 2009 01:55 - 26 Apr 2009 08:43 #285330 by Patton
Am thinking most radial tires for motorcycles are designed for use on tubeless style rims.

When radial tires were first introduced for motorcycles, the traditional advice was don't use radials on earlier model bikes not designed for radials. More recent advice seems to be that some older models actually do okay running radials. But I haven't tried radials on the Z1 (Lesters) or KZ900 (oem Morris), and always used bias ply tires with tubes because the rims are designed for tube-type tires.

However, the advice has remained unchanged to always use a tube with any tire on a tube-style rim, whether spoke or mag.

Good Luck! :)

Edit -- Addenda:
FAQ extracted from Dunlop's website (imo likely conservatively slanted to avoid liability exposure)

Question --
Can I change my tires from bias ply to radial or vice versa?

Dunlop's Answer --
Bias and radial tires have significantly different dynamic properties. They deflect differently, create different cornering forces, have different damping characteristics, as well as other differences. In order for radial tires to be introduced into the two-wheel market, it was necessary to change certain characteristics of the motorcycle. The introduction of the radial tire led to such things as modified frames, new steering geometries and suspensions. Therefore, it is recommended that a motorcycle be used with the type of tire construction that it came with originally. If a change is to be made, then it should only be done if the motorcycle or tire manufacturer has approved the change. Above all, do not mix bias ply and radial tires on the same motorcycle unless it is with the approval of the motorcycle or tire manufacturer.

Question --
I have a tubed type tire. How often should I replace my tube?

Dunlop's answer --
Tubes are a critical part of a tube-type wheel assembly. With a tubeless tire and tubeless wheel, the air is contained within the assembly. With a tube type rim and tire combination, it is the tube that contains the air.

When fitting a new tire on a tube-type rim, a new tube should be fitted at the same time. Old tubes can become stretched and, if an old tube is fitted inside a new tire, it can crease or fold over itself and fail due to chaffing and thinning of the rubber. Always insure that the rim band is in good condition, that spoke ends do not protrude and are covered to avoid tube damage. Loose objects may also damage tubes.

It is important that you fit the correct size tube in a tire. Always check the size markings on the tube. The exact size marking on your tire must also appear on the tube. Never fit tubes on radial motorcycle tires nor fit radials to rims requiring tubes.

Dunlop also advises --

Tube-Type Rims

Note: Not all cast wheels, whether aluminum or magnesium, are suitable for tubeless tire fitment.

Mount tires as tubeless only when the wheel manufacturer recommends it. Some spokeless rims require tubes. With a tube inserted, a tubeless tire may be fitted to a tube-type wheel.

Exception: Dunlop does not recommend fitment of non-radial tubes in radial tires. Ensure that tube markings match radial tire markings before fitting to rims requiring tubes.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 26 Apr 2009 08:43 by Patton.

• racer54
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
26 Apr 2009 13:12 #285413 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Tubeless tire on spoke rims...
My rim has the ridges needed for a tubeless tire for safety. That is not the problem. I just would like a tube in case for added safety. If need be, I can run tubeless but prefer not to. Just don't know where to get the inner tube, how to tell I have the right one or which kind I need...butyl or natural rubber. I'd like to get this bike going but this is holding everything up.