Tubeless tire on spoke rims...

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
26 Apr 2009 14:13 #285430 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Tubeless tire on spoke rims...
i ran duct tape on my 16" spoked harley type rim a few rears back to cover the spoke nuts and noticed when i changed my tires last month that the type of duct tape i used had interacted with the tube a tad where the glue tape edges had rolled back a smidge inside the rims stepped edges to expose the glued tapes side to the innertube......no big deal and i only noticed cause i had to get my big mit in there and really tug to free the deflated tube before last steps of the tire dismount.......
it did get me thinking about the way two plastics like rubber worms and tackle boxes might sometimes melt togehter....i may order rim strips with my next tires and new tubes....
ignore it for now...still noticed the duct tape had a good seal/weld to the tube and would not want a tube to get eaten through parked in the sun this summer or some other way.......????

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2009 15:19 #285442 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Tubeless tire on spoke rims...
This one falls under Heebie Jeebies for me, The concept of trusting silly seal to keep air in conventional spoked rims is like playing russian roulette w/ all cyls loaded. The chief drawbacks of running a tube in tubless tires, are...(in personal opinion order) 1, running a tube adds weight and a layer of rubber to tire, increasing weight and heat and heat retension, thus wear. 2, many tubeless tires have ridges inside carcass, with tire deformation and squrim, tubes chafe and wear. 3,expense and fitting issues. I road-raced for years on laced wheels running tubes in radials. I'm sure any tire manufacturor's website would have a toutorial on tires, and how they work, I recommend study. a blow-out at highway speed with a simi comming up your ass is no fun, Luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
26 Apr 2009 15:37 #285451 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Tubeless tire on spoke rims...
Traditional lore seems to be that running a tube may cause a tire to run slightly hotter, if that's any concern.

In a brief search, I didn't notice anything specific about butyl vs. natural rubber as the determinative criterion for a tube choice on bias-ply vs. radial tires. And see where radials themselves are now being further subclassified for various different constructions, some being closer related to bias-ply than others.

Here's an excerpt from Wiki

Can an inner tube be used on a tubeless radial motorcycle tire?

The simple answer is yes. In fact motorcycles that use radial tires with spoked rims typically require them. However two things should be noted.

First, this is one of those safety-related topics where people have strong opinions, often thinly supported by anecdotal evidence. You will find plenty of people who are certain that you will die horribly if you do this, just as you will find plenty of people who do this without problems.

Second, there are special tubes made for use with radial tires. Tire manufacturers say that they are required, while many dealers routinely install standard tubes in radial tires. The fact that such tubes are extraordinarily difficult to find, even online, may force your hand. You will find many people with strong opinions about this point as well.

A google for radial motorcycle tire tube discloses numerous sites including manufacturers and vendors of tubes for radial tires, such as

tires unlimited

Bridgestone

In his above post, gane recounts having himself "road-raced for years on laced wheels running tubes in radials." Am guessing such tubes were not "special radial tubes."

Good Luck with however decide to proceed. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
26 Apr 2009 17:11 #285475 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Tubeless tire on spoke rims...
No, indeed, I used only standard tubes. Tho to be fair, tire changes were weekly. And, I have a WM3.50 front and WM4.0 rear. radial and bias ply tires differ enourmously in how they work.and require differnt rim widths/sealing areas to be safe. regardless. phenumatic tires need internal pressure. be safe, G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

• racer54
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
26 Apr 2009 18:36 #285489 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Tubeless tire on spoke rims...
I will be using these on a streetbike mainly at the dragstrip. Absolutely minimal miles on the street. Using the 180 tire for more traction mainly. Will probably only get up to around 120 mph with this bike...it's a pooch but current rear tire just isn't enough! Had a tire store say useing a Metzeler tube in a radial tire would be fine!? Can't seem to find a definitive answer on this so guess it will be trial and error although with what I plan on using it for it should be OK. Metzeler tube made from natural rubber (read not to use inner tube made of butyl rubber in radial tire by tube maker) in a Shinko 003 tire, size 180/55-18, on a spoke rim designed for a tubeless tire with the rim ridges, to hold tubeless tire in place.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
26 Apr 2009 18:40 #285491 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Tubeless tire on spoke rims...
use the natural rubber tube they are thicker and quite a bit more forgiving. they are quite a bit heavier. but i don't think that will be a concern for you right i use them in my spoke wheel drag slick combo and i've only had one flat in fifteen years mind you that was at the top end thank god for wheelie bars.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• racer54
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
26 Apr 2009 18:54 #285500 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Tubeless tire on spoke rims...
Came across this...

METZELER-Tubeless-Tires may be fitted to Tubetype-Rims, if the following restrictions are kept:

1. Use only METZELER-tubes Tubeless tires fitted with a tube have a max. permitted speed of 230 km/h.

2. See "Mounting Advice".

3. The repair of a punctured tubeless tire by means of fitting a tube is not permitted.

METZELER tubeless tires may be used with METZELER tubes on tube type rims. When installing a tube in a METZELER tubeless tire do not tighten valve stem lock nut until tire is seated and inflated to proper riding pressure. Whenever you fit a tube care should be taken not to pinch the tube. Dust the tube with talcum powder. Always use a valve cap with rubber sealing .

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110