kawasaki kz650 csr steering lock

More
21 Apr 2009 23:16 #283978 by shitimdumb
Replied by shitimdumb on topic kawasaki kz650 csr steering lock
I went to see my darling today and I found the locking mechanism... from what you guys are saying it's some sort of flimsy tube? it seems to be a triangular extrusion on my bike from the frame, with a deadbolt-type lock that protrudes from the locking mechanism... when I turn the key counter-clockwise it will retract half-way and stop, clockwise push it out further.... is this normal? Like I said 1981 650 csr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2009 22:01 - 27 Apr 2009 22:06 #285894 by shitimdumb
Bumping this hopefully I can get some more input... Is this problem fixable if I take the mechanism out or do I need to replace it... how much is a shop going to charge for something like this? Like I said it is a dead bolt type lock, not this tube... any instructions out there to dismantle this?

Would these work?
motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from=R40&_trksi...ki+1981+lock&_sacat=

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/82-83-KAWASAKI-K...ksid=p4506.m20.l1116

I believe the second one is the same type my bike has...
Last edit: 27 Apr 2009 22:06 by shitimdumb.

More
27 Apr 2009 22:08 - 27 Apr 2009 22:14 #285897 by shitimdumb
Also as I begin to tackle this, if anyone can help me either online or through PM it would help. What exactly do I need to dismantle in order to remove and replace this part? I was looking at the bike the other day and it looks like I need to remove almost everything on the front just to get to the piece! ugh. Not a good first bike experience.

Help.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2009 22:14 by shitimdumb.

More
28 Apr 2009 08:01 - 28 Apr 2009 09:52 #285965 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic kawasaki kz650 csr steering lock
shitimdumb wrote:

... when I turn the key counter-clockwise it will retract half-way and stop, clockwise push it out further.... is this normal? Like I said 1981 650 csr.

It sounds like the ignition switch is defective. The thing is fairly simple - w the bars turned all the way to the left: turn the key to lock -->> the dead bolt protrudes; turn the key clockwise -->> the dead bolt retracts. simple.

Other models, including newer KZ1000 Police bikes, use the same switch. The diagrams at Kawasaki.com have the cross-reference info. I would get a new or NOS ignition switch:

KAWASAKI KZ650 ZX900 KZ1000 KZ1100 IGNITION SWITCH

The job will be time consuming & tedious but very doable.
You'll have to remove the headlite lens/bulb/ring assy to have access to the wiring. To get room for your hands, you may as well remove the meter cables & covers. I don't recall if you have to remove the pilot cover above the switch. The ignition switch is held in place by two metric allen screws, so you'll need an M5 allen wrench - the ones having longer handles would make the job much easier. Or a socket & rachet may be needed for more leverage - the bolts might be frozen.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2009 09:52 by JMKZHI.

More
28 Apr 2009 08:10 - 28 Apr 2009 08:11 #285966 by JMKZHI
Also, I don't know if the linked ignition switch in my previous post is a genuine Kawasaki item or an aftermarket switch. I would guess aftermarket.

Z1Enterprises.com sells the Emgo switches:
Ignition Switch with 2 keys and built in steering lock EM40-80610
Z1 has other stuff for your bike.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2009 08:11 by JMKZHI.

More
28 Apr 2009 15:43 - 28 Apr 2009 15:43 #286035 by shitimdumb
Thank you JMKZHI for that quick and informative post! I ordered the part from Z1... Looks like next Monday off, I have a project :woohoo:
Last edit: 28 Apr 2009 15:43 by shitimdumb.

More
06 May 2009 10:08 - 06 May 2009 10:10 #288478 by shitimdumb
OK. I ordered this.
"Z1Enterprises.com sells the Emgo switches:
Ignition Switch with 2 keys and built in steering lock EM40-80610 "

So the part came in Monday afternoon, I installed it Tuesday afternoon which only took about an hour and a half. The battery was dead by now (it has been sitting for a whole month) and I decided to go buy a new one. Today the battery is charged and I installed it.

My problem: the bike won't even try to start. I turn the "run" switch on, switch to neutral, hold in the clutch. I turn key to "On" position where I test all the lights and horn etc. The oil light is on which is possibly normal? Also when I pull the front brake the "stop fuel light" turns on. When I turn the ignition to the "P" symbol to start the engine all of the gauge lights turn off, the steering lock protrudes, and nothing happens. I assume it's supposed to start when I turn it to "P" symbol?... The only other option I have is to turn it off and lock. Am I forgetting something simple?

ugh. Also the oil was low and I added some but I added too much. How do I change the oil? where is the plug to drain and where is the filter? Another thing: I don't seem to have any brake fluid. Where do I add this and what type?
This was a poor purchase decision. The guy that sold me the bike of course is not returning my calls pleading for his help.
Last edit: 06 May 2009 10:10 by shitimdumb. Reason: shitimdumb

More
06 May 2009 10:33 #288483 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kawasaki kz650 csr steering lock
Insert key into ignition and turn clockwise only one click (not all the way to P).

Assure separate kill switch is in RUN position.

Sit on bike with transmission in neutral, clutch lever squeezed in against handlebar, and sidestand retracted (up).

Push starter button and engine is supposed to start and run.

The dash lights all seem to be doing what there're aupposed to be doing.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
06 May 2009 10:38 #288486 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kawasaki kz650 csr steering lock
Without a good shop manual in the toolkit for the specific bike model, preferably a FSM (official KHI Factory Service Manual), the battle will soon be lost. :(

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
06 May 2009 13:14 - 15 Jun 2010 07:04 #288514 by JMKZHI
Do you have the Owner's Manual -->> just in case... it might be in a pull down compartment attached to the under side of the seat.

A genuine Kawasaki factory service manual would be handy to have. I have the fsm & a Clymer.

P = Park --->> the tail lite comes on -->> kinda handy when yer stopped on the side of the road, especially at night.

You can siphon out the excess oil w some tubing, preferably clear tubing.
To check the oil -->> warm up the bike then shut off the engine -->> put the bike level on the centerstand -->> wait a few minutes -->> check the oil at the oil level gauge site glass -->> the oil should be between the 2 lines.

Add brake fluid by removing the front brake master cylinder reservoir cap & pouring some in -->> the mc has a site glass on it similar to the oil gauge site glass. clean around the mc cap first -->> don't let any crud fall into the reservoir.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2010 07:04 by JMKZHI.

More
06 May 2009 13:14 - 06 May 2009 13:22 #288515 by shitimdumb
so THAT'S what that little button is for :blush:.

The owner said he lost the manual. Do you know where I can order these? I looked on line... apparently not hard enough.
How do I drain some of the oil? Unfortunately the underside of the seat only tells me that it requires 10w-40, not where the drain plug is. I was looking on the bike, and on the underside I see a circular plate attached with one bolt which I suspect houses the filter. Which one of the bolts to drain the oil out however eludes me. I'll give the tubing a shot though, I just want to start the thing so I can give my nuts a jolly before I buy insurance. :(
Last edit: 06 May 2009 13:22 by shitimdumb.

More
06 May 2009 13:24 - 15 Jun 2010 07:03 #288518 by JMKZHI
You can siphon out the oil (via the oil filler cap).

The oil drain plug is located under the engine forward of the oil filter.
The plug & oil filter bolt require a 17mm wrench.

Ebbaayy has manuals.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2010 07:03 by JMKZHI.