What else will i need.

More
02 Apr 2009 21:54 #277912 by kzmarvo
What else will i need. was created by kzmarvo
Ok folks, i'm stretching and putting a fat tire on the back of my kz. So far i have purchased 1 gsxr swingarm that is almost 9 over. One gsxr 17' back wheel complete with sprocket caliper and everything with it. One extended chain, I am having the swingarm welded for regular shocks not a mono(cut the mono mount off) I have moded the frame a little wider with the proper welds top make it strong,what size offset sprocket will i need? I have a 180 tire(power pilot) for the ass end of her. Anybody have anything to say please do;)

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2009 22:01 #277915 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic What else will i need.
5/8" offset sprocket should do fine but when you do that you can't use the stock sprocket cover you have to got toa bearing support plate dg chassis or kosman or pmfr makes very nice ones, what chain are you planning on using if you buy from dg they will supply the bearing support the offset sprocket and all the standoffs and hardware all you have to do is figure out wether you want 530 or 630 chain and how big a sprocket you want to use.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
02 Apr 2009 22:45 #277932 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic What else will i need.
The chain i have is a 530 i think, gonna try to stay as close to the oem tooth sprocket as i can. I cant trim the stock cover to hold the offset? Really didnt wanna get into a aftermarket cover,i like the stock cover look alot. And this is gonna sound dumb but what is a bearing support? My guess is it holds the offset sprocket? Sorry, i'm not new to bikes or wrenching on em,just never got into offset sprockets and drag set up's.....

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

More
02 Apr 2009 22:54 #277936 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic What else will i need.
go check out d&g chassis web site and it will all come clear to you and personally the stock cover if you could cut enough away to make it fit i'm pretty sure it would flex really bad when ever you pulled the clutch in to the point of breaking it. the heavier support plate is just a really strong piece and it won't flex. when you get a sprocket that is this much heavier and longer then stock you can run into problems if you don't have a way of positivly locating it. and i think i might be wrong the smallest 530 they can build with the 5/8 offset is a 16 tooth but talk to d&g and they can tell you better.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
03 Apr 2009 12:37 #278089 by kzmarvo
man i was really hoping to keep the stock cover.......

More
03 Apr 2009 14:20 #278115 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic What else will i need.
not to blow holes in your plan but have you considered the affects of a swingarm close to 9" over on your bikes handling?your adding a ton of wheelbase which is fine if your trying to hold down a 1428 turbo without raking the frame,but makes taking corners on city streets like driving a city bus.:S once you get over a certain distance with the back wheel past centerline of the bike there is no serious weight to hold down the back wheel anyway which means no traction without very sticky tire.:blink: you also end up with a very long chain which makes it a weak link in your driveline if youre running any serious kind of power.:S in my experiance anyway a 2-3" over swingarm is more than enough for most non turbo street bikes without making them a pita to ride anyway B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
03 Apr 2009 14:56 #278132 by kzmarvo
Yeah im taking all that into consideration. I had a zx12r ninja that was 10 over and it turned like a bus as well. I am just looking to build a different looking bike than whats in this town. Whats the widest tire that can be ran under the stock cover?

More
03 Apr 2009 15:06 - 03 Apr 2009 15:08 #278136 by PLUMMEN
id say run a 170 tire to save yourself lots of missery as far as sprocket/clearance issues.im setting my current 1385 turbo project up to run a 170 tire for that reason .its got 3 degrees added to the head end for clearance since im still thinking about mounting the turbo behind front wheel,out back im planning on around 3" over with the 170 tire.i might mock up a seperate 5.5" rear wheel with 190 shinko for when i take it to the track to crank up the boost and if i decide i need to hit the trigger on the shiny little bottle!:laugh:

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Apr 2009 15:08 by PLUMMEN.

More
03 Apr 2009 15:14 #278138 by kzmarvo
ok,so my gsxr back wheel is a 6 inch wheel so if i run a 160/170 tire i can keep the stock cover on the motor?

More
03 Apr 2009 15:22 #278142 by PLUMMEN
the wide rim will make that tire have a flatter profile which is good for hooking in a straight line might be funny cornering.id say find a 4.5-5.5 rear rim with 160-170 tire,check to see what rim the tire maker suggests for the tire.B)

More
03 Apr 2009 15:24 #278144 by kzmarvo
I live in illinois we have no curves lol so i think i'll be good. So with a 160 tire and my back rim i can run the stock cover? No offset needed right?

More
03 Apr 2009 15:30 - 03 Apr 2009 15:31 #278147 by PLUMMEN
its still going to be be flatter/wider than a 160 on narrower rim.your still running a 6" wide rim which is just over 3" wider than a stock wheel but it should gain you some clearance over a 180 on the same rim,youll still need offset sprockets but it will gain you some chain /frame clearance and be a lot closer to clearing stock cover.B)oh yeah,here in nebraska most of our corners have stopsigns on them also!:laugh:

Last edit: 03 Apr 2009 15:31 by PLUMMEN.