What else will i need.

More
03 Apr 2009 15:31 #278148 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic What else will i need.
What size offset do you recommend?

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2009 15:51 #278153 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic What else will i need.
get the wheel on there and line it up with tire your gonna run and start measuring things with a stringline to measure off of before comitting yourself to a set of wrong sprockets B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
03 Apr 2009 16:19 #278161 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic What else will i need.
The bearing support they are talking about is to prevent hanging the front sprocket so far out in space that you start bending the output shaft, or just overloading the bearings and cases due to trying to bend the output shaft. In technical terms its an overhanging design because the sprocket (radial and axial loads) is so far beyond the radial support that it will cause problems. Another less likely possiblility is that the shaft could flex enough to allow the sprocket to skip in the chain.

If you want a quick example, on rearsets with a connecting link, if the shifter shaft is not supported by the stock cover you are unable to shift due to bending the shift shaft rather than rotating it. I found that one out a while ago.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
03 Apr 2009 18:18 #278188 by kzmarvo
My friend just bought a stretched 1000 and its rollin a 160 rear tire with ne offset sprocket.

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

More
03 Apr 2009 18:37 #278195 by PLUMMEN
depends on the rim hes got it mounted on 160 on a 3.5 rim is a lot narrower than a 160 on a 6" rim you just have to stick her on and start measuring things!:laugh:

More
03 Apr 2009 19:36 #278214 by kzmarvo
He has a 6 inch gsxr rim.

More
03 Apr 2009 20:01 #278223 by PLUMMEN
well then you should be safe then.make sure rear and front wheel arecentered on each other then get a straight edge of some sort to align your sprockets off of.did he run a 530 conversion on his when he did it ?;)

More
03 Apr 2009 20:06 #278226 by kzmarvo
I dont know,he just got the bike,we actually drove 5k miles to get it round trip. I think it has the chain conversion on it yeah. he is a member here(oldskool77) I wanted a 200mm or 180mm tire for mine to be different from his but if the 160 keeps the stock cover then a 160/170 tire it will be. My chain is a rk chain oring that came with my extended swingarm,the chain is in great shape,just gotta figure out what kinda front sprocket i need.