rechrome on a spokes set??$$$

More
02 Jan 2009 22:09 #255851 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic rechrome on a spokes set??$$$
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_embrittlementB ) wow i can copy articles just like the wizzard! but as paul harvey would sayminetell the rest of the story!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2009 22:12 #255852 by PLUMMEN

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
02 Jan 2009 22:15 #255854 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic rechrome on a spokes set??$$$
Relax guys...
Its only spokes...
Here's one with spokes, and one without. No plating on the one with spokes...
(Youtube)

Chill, its not worth the aggravation
Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

More
02 Jan 2009 22:26 #255856 by PLUMMEN
its not just about spokes its about telling people all of the facts of a process,not just what one link has to say about it but real world experiances.every process has its short comings but amazingly people have found ways to work around lots of them without the help of some goverment engineer standing over their shoulder.B)

More
03 Jan 2009 03:34 #255864 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic rechrome on a spokes set??$$$

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
03 Jan 2009 06:58 #255877 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic rechrome on a spokes set??$$$
So lets recap....
1) Member 1 wonders about new spokes vs. chroming old ones

2) Much talk about new spokes in SS

3) Some members say they wouldn't re-chrome due to embrittlement

4) Member 2 states he knows the Plating Family (Joe Plater) and has their word a Kenner Easy Bake Oven, a bag of Doritos and an afternoon will eliminate the embrittlement.

5) Member 3 posts article supporting the embrittlement argument thus casting doubt upon the Plating family's expertise. (member 2 would like to point out that said article is obvious Government Engineering propaganda)

6) Member 2 Posts his own articles (I must say here, out of the three posted I could only get 1 to work which was from the Odessa Polytechnic Institute in the Ukraine, a very respected school, but I couldn't find support of the oven removing the problem, but the cartoons and Paul Harvey quote was a surprise, I expected Limbaugh and Homer.)

So here we stand at the precipice of a monumental decision. Re-chrome, stock or SS!!! Some people say there is a problem, I know, I know they are the puppets of the Evil Government and Short Bus Warfare Engineering Schools but maybe they got one right? (Then again in fairness it did take them a loooong time to get torpedoes right) OR!! The Plating family who have plated thousands of bar stools with out one collapsing and spilling one ounce of Bud Light from embrittlement are ahead of the curve. Although 450 lb. Fred Timmons of Battle Creek might destroy that record next Friday night at the local titty bar. Of course stock spokes were good enough for them Jap engineers (oops there is that engineer word again).

My take
If you want super bling
Get plated (It's your arse afterall. Bake or no bake) Hense the famous Johnny Cochrain quote "If you don't want flake, you must bake!".

If you want some bling
Get SS (Never heard a bad word except price. I understand SS is notably brittle.)

If you got shallow pockets, like stock, or trust Jap Eng(If you don't you're riding the wrong bike).
Get stock.

Seems to be another argument for the ages. Right up there with Airbox vs Pods, Bob or Chop, Cafe or Streetfighter, Blonde vs. Brunette vs. Redhead, Coke vs. Pepsi.

Where is Chief Engineer Scotty when you need him?
"Dammit Jim....I'm an engineer...not a spokologist!"! Oh yeah.... "He's dead Jim!" :ohmy:

*This play will run from January through March at the Odessa Theater Engineering Dachau and Fish Market in beautiful downtown Odessa, Ukraine. After the play why not visit Comrade Volutia's Sandwich Shack right across the Volge for a tasty Lardbutter and Jellyfish Gyro? :P

Hint: Tap your spokes and listen for the pitch. It can tell you loose ones. Or so I've heard....:woohoo:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
03 Jan 2009 08:41 #255886 by The Fish
Replied by The Fish on topic rechrome on a spokes set??$$$
But Santa, I dont want to be an elf, I want to be a...

spoke-ologist!!!

Attachments:

More
03 Jan 2009 10:10 #255898 by PLUMMEN
Locozuna wrote:

So lets recap....
1) Member 1 wonders about new spokes vs. chroming old ones

2) Much talk about new spokes in SS

3) Some members say they wouldn't re-chrome due to embrittlement

4) Member 2 states he knows the Plating Family (Joe Plater) and has their word a Kenner Easy Bake Oven, a bag of Doritos and an afternoon will eliminate the embrittlement.

5) Member 3 posts article supporting the embrittlement argument thus casting doubt upon the Plating family's expertise. (member 2 would like to point out that said article is obvious Government Engineering propaganda)

6) Member 2 Posts his own articles (I must say here, out of the three posted I could only get 1 to work which was from the Odessa Polytechnic Institute in the Ukraine, a very respected school, but I couldn't find support of the oven removing the problem, but the cartoons and Paul Harvey quote was a surprise, I expected Limbaugh and Homer.)

So here we stand at the precipice of a monumental decision. Re-chrome, stock or SS!!! Some people say there is a problem, I know, I know they are the puppets of the Evil Government and Short Bus Warfare Engineering Schools but maybe they got one right? (Then again in fairness it did take them a loooong time to get torpedoes right) OR!! The Plating family who have plated thousands of bar stools with out one collapsing and spilling one ounce of Bud Light from embrittlement are ahead of the curve. Although 450 lb. Fred Timmons of Battle Creek might destroy that record next Friday night at the local titty bar. Of course stock spokes were good enough for them Jap engineers (oops there is that engineer word again).

My take
If you want super bling
Get plated (It's your arse afterall. Bake or no bake) Hense the famous Johnny Cochrain quote "If you don't want flake, you must bake!".

If you want some bling
Get SS (Never heard a bad word except price. I understand SS is notably brittle.)

If you got shallow pockets, like stock, or trust Jap Eng(If you don't you're riding the wrong bike).
Get stock.

Seems to be another argument for the ages. Right up there with Airbox vs Pods, Bob or Chop, Cafe or Streetfighter, Blonde vs. Brunette vs. Redhead, Coke vs. Pepsi.

Where is Chief Engineer Scotty when you need him?
"Dammit Jim....I'm an engineer...not a spokologist!"! Oh yeah.... "He's dead Jim!" :ohmy:

*This play will run from January through March at the Odessa Theater Engineering Dachau and Fish Market in beautiful downtown Odessa, Ukraine. After the play why not visit Comrade Volutia's Sandwich Shack right across the Volge for a tasty Lardbutter and Jellyfish Gyro? :P

Hint: Tap your spokes and listen for the pitch. It can tell you loose ones. Or so I've heard....:woohoo:

bar stools,now thats really funny!:woohoo: :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh:

Attachments:

More
03 Jan 2009 10:11 #255899 by PLUMMEN
The Fish wrote:

But Santa, I dont want to be an elf, I want to be a...

spoke-ologist!!!

:woohoo: :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh:

More
03 Jan 2009 10:12 #255900 by PLUMMEN
Patton wrote:

mobil spoke baking and powder coating!:woohoo:

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
24 Jun 2010 15:53 #378000 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic rechrome on a spokes set??$$$
Damn.I bet keepin up with this thread was more fun than steppin in dog poo at 3 am when ur in a hurry to go pee.bj