rechrome on a spokes set??$$$

More
02 Jan 2009 08:06 #255762 by The Fish
Replied by The Fish on topic rechrome on a spokes set??$$$
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

I would not chrome spokes regardless. The chroming process embrittles the metal.

I had a set of chromed spokes on a used wheel I bought and the chrome flaked off them real easy. I was told it had to do with the spoke "stretching" under tension and the chrome not stretching at the same rate. I ended up pealing off the remaining chrome(that was a bugger X 40)and I found SS spokes underneath. The SS Spokes underneath polished up real nice. Maybe the chrome doesnt stick to the SS as good as other metals?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2009 09:52 #255772 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic rechrome on a spokes set??$$$
its very hard to getplating to stick to stainless,thats why i just polish it!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
02 Jan 2009 10:50 #255776 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic rechrome on a spokes set??$$$
These are the Buchanan SS spokes, had the rim rechromed, hub polished etc... Well worth it in my opinion but I'm biased of course.

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_ponygal...&func=detail&id=2311

More
02 Jan 2009 13:23 - 03 Jan 2009 02:21 #255786 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic rechrome on a spokes set??$$$
austin3119 wrote:

These are the Buchanan SS spokes, had the rim rechromed, hub polished etc... Well worth it in my opinion but I'm biased of course kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_ponygal...c=detail&id=2311

[Put on sunglasses before clicking image for larger view]

Austin, that is so horrible, so simply unforgiveably horrible, :dry: that someone would stoop so low :ohmy: as to using a common everyday cheapo mundane garden-variety cotter pin :pinch: in the axle castle nut instead of a larger size super cool hitch pin like the one on the brake arm nut. :cheer: What in the world were you thinking? :huh:

Easy to tell you like cutting corners and trying to get by with slipshodding and doing stuff the easy way. :lol:

We'll maybe forgive you this once, but please try to do better in the future. :)

Bwahahahahahaha! :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jan 2009 02:21 by Patton.

More
02 Jan 2009 16:32 #255812 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic rechrome on a spokes set??$$$
Thanks for noticing Patton :) Actually I went to ace and grabbed some nice looking pins, got home and of course none of them fit. Oh well, when I get around to getting that bolt and spacer chromed, I'll find a suitable replacement. :) For now it's riding weather in AZ.

More
02 Jan 2009 17:25 #255813 by steell
Replied by steell on topic rechrome on a spokes set??$$$
PLUMMEN wrote:

Jeff.Saunders wrote:

I would not chrome spokes regardless. The chroming process embrittles the metal.

put the parts in the oven to heat them up then cool them down slowly takes care of it.;)

That's funny!! :D

The embrittlement of of metal or alloy by atomic hydrogen involves the ingress of hydrogen into a component, an event that can seriously reduce the ductility and load-bearing capacity, cause cracking and catastrophic brittle failures at stresses below the yield stress of susceptible materials

If you have an oven that will hit 1500 F then you can temper most steel alloys, maybe 2500 F for hardening, but neither will help the hydrogen embrittlement caused by chrome plating.

KD9JUR

More
02 Jan 2009 17:59 #255821 by PLUMMEN
yeah that is funny!the guy who does plating for me locally has been in business for 50 plus years and does only high end triple plating for antique cars ,bikes and stuff like that his son has has been in the business with him for 30 years they have a cousin across town who owns another plating shop for last 30 or so years so im gonna go out on a limb here and say they are a plating family and might have some idea what theyre talking about wouldnt ya think?anyway they tell me to toss it in the oven at around 375 for 3-4 hours within 24 hours of it being plated if im worried about it.just for laughs i looked up some boeing specs also and they call for 190-200celsius for 3 hours after plating also.seems to be a conspiracy developing among the folks who actually are involved in the plating huh? last time i looked most motorcycles out there have shiny chrome plated springs and rims and bolts and spokes and handlebars without having much issue.if you want to be really techno about it how much more brittle are those stainless steel spokes than the plain old chrome plated stockers that come on these bikes origionally?yes stainless steel is a very hard brittle material also B)

More
02 Jan 2009 18:26 #255822 by PLUMMEN
just did the math. i come up with 392 degrees F/200C for the temp that the aircraft industry calls for which is pretty damn close to the 375F i was told to aim for by the obviously misinformed plating shop owners,any of you mathmeticians feel free to correct my math if its wrong.slightly lower temp than was previously called for i do believe,now that is funny!:laugh: B)

More
02 Jan 2009 20:06 #255836 by steell
Replied by steell on topic rechrome on a spokes set??$$$

Considerable amount of work on hydrogen embrittlement has been conducted and published in the literature. Some important work was done and published by scientists at the Naval Air Warfare Center. The bottom line is: it is nearly impossible to remove all of the hydrogen that has been introduced, using common baking methods.

www.finishing.com/1200-1399/1216.shtml

Have some method to determine how much hydrogen is left in the metal? Or do you depend on blind faith?

Citing some local shop down the road, priceless.

Since I'm not being paid to educate anyone it boils down to pay your money and accept the risk, or don't, the choice is yours. Personally I don't subcribe to the "I've been doing it this way for 50 years so it must be right!" school of thought.

KD9JUR

More
02 Jan 2009 21:45 - 02 Jan 2009 21:48 #255846 by PLUMMEN
steell wrote:

Considerable amount of work on hydrogen embrittlement has been conducted and published in the literature. Some important work was done and published by scientists at the Naval Air Warfare Center. The bottom line is: it is nearly impossible to remove all of the hydrogen that has been introduced, using common baking methods.

www.finishing.com/1200-1399/1216.shtml

Have some method to determine how much hydrogen is left in the metal? Or do you depend on blind faith?

Citing some local shop down the road, priceless.

Since I'm not being paid to educate anyone it boils down to pay your money and accept the risk, or don't, the choice is yours. Personally I don't subcribe to the "I've been doing it this way for 50 years so it must be right!" school of thought.

yep and the engineers at boeing are obviously wrong also,how dare any of us think we might possibly be able to put our experiances up here against the all knowing all wise one!:blush: i can sleep better now knowing i dont have to listen to what any of the people with actual real world experiance in the trades know instead i can just direct any and all questions to the great one.

Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Jan 2009 21:48 by PLUMMEN.

More
02 Jan 2009 21:56 - 02 Jan 2009 21:57 #255849 by PLUMMEN
i know lots of people weld things to attach them together but i heard someplace on a goverment/naval website that welding pieces of metal together can actually make them brittle where they are attached,should i use 2 part epoxy instead?

Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Jan 2009 21:57 by PLUMMEN.

More
02 Jan 2009 22:03 - 02 Jan 2009 22:05 #255850 by PLUMMEN
mechanicalplating.com/hydrogen.htmyeah i forgot there are so many pieces on a bike with a tensile strength of 141,000 psi!:laugh:

Last edit: 02 Jan 2009 22:05 by PLUMMEN.