fork oil change 81 KZ 650 SR

More
09 Oct 2008 10:30 #240945 by HansNOR
fork oil change 81 KZ 650 SR was created by HansNOR
I feel very stupid asking this but here goes ..

the forks are reassembled and put on the bike after i change the fork gaskets . wheel is back on - all is good ...

except there is no oil in the forks .. for some reason i thought i could fill oil thru the top once i unscrewed the airvalve cap thing - that hole is tiny - and i suspect also that it is only air supposed to be in there ?

do i really have to remove the forks from the bike to change the oil ? ?

i've tried studying the clymer manual - but i'm having a hard time figuring any other way than total disassembly (which would suck if thats the case )

anyone ... `?

(tried searching the forums but most forks are 70ies without the air thingie )

o 198x Kawasaki GPZ 750 (year will be updated)
x 1981 Kawasaki KZ 650 SR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2008 03:05 #241062 by HansNOR
Replied by HansNOR on topic fork oil change 81 KZ 650 SR
Can anyone say if my bike share forks with the 1981 CSR ? kawasaki.com don't show my model ... :(

More
10 Oct 2008 03:53 #241063 by HansNOR
i'll treat this thread as my personal thinking out loud notepad ..

i'll loosen the upper and lower fork clamps - then push the forks up .. fasten the clamps . then unscrew the fork cap with the airvalve on it ...

thats what i figure is what one is supposed to do ...

More
10 Oct 2008 05:35 - 04 Dec 2008 09:37 #241083 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Dec 2008 09:37 by JMKZHI.

More
10 Oct 2008 07:32 #241091 by HansNOR
thank you thank you thank you :) it is correct i got the center axle - but i hope and suspect the rest is pretty much identical ... can't wait for the kids to go to bed, ouch sounds bad :) , so i can fix the bike :)

More
11 Oct 2008 13:54 #241276 by HansNOR
sometimes some things are easier said than done - so i decided to remove the forks - flip them upside down, remove the allan bolt that holds the piston in place and fill the oil through that hole. a baby bottle and a small funnel worked perfectly. then i applied a new copper washer and some threadlock to the bolt and refitted.

now the forks are again shiny and fitted on the bike . . but now one last challenge remains .. filling air .. manual says 8 - 13 psi in the forks .. how do i fill that tiny space with so little air that the pressure dont skyrocket ? the gas station pumps can't handle such low pressure with their new systems fitted ...

what do you guys use `? i've seen footpumps but they aren't very accurate .. and i'm afraid of blowing the gasket ..

feel free to comment ;)

More
11 Oct 2008 19:37 #241343 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic fork oil change 81 KZ 650 SR
Hmmmm, interesting way of changing the oil. I've added fork oil to my two bikes just by unscrewing the endcap while they were attached to the bike. You can also measure the depth of the oil that way to determine if they are over or under filled.

My 750 is really touchy with the air pressure. The best way I've found is a footpump and digital pressure gauge. I like them around 10 psi, so I'll feel them to around 13 or so on the footpump gauge, then check it several times which drops the pressure down to 10 psi.

More
12 Oct 2008 09:22 #241429 by HansNOR
do you lower or heighten the forks before you unscrew the endcap ? because this was the issue i was having with the forks mounted - that i couldnt friggin move it up nor down and thus not getting the cap unscrewed.

it didnt take me more than half an hour to change oil on both sides - but it would be nice in the future do do it without all the hassle of torquing everything in place :)

More
12 Oct 2008 10:10 #241434 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic fork oil change 81 KZ 650 SR
Uncertain whether applicable in this case, but am thinking the bolt in the steering stem head top clamp (that clamps around the fork tube) must be loosened before the top fork cap may be removed.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Oct 2008 10:48 #241437 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic fork oil change 81 KZ 650 SR
The Factory manual shows having the top cap flush with the top clamp which would definitely make getting the top cap off the fork tube a PITA. I set the top of the fork tube even with the top clamp so I can then get a wrench on the top cap. We're only talking 1/4"-1/2" difference so I can not decern any handling differences.

Like Patton suggested, loosening the top clamp helps make sure the topcap threads aren't bound by the fork tube.

More
12 Oct 2008 11:18 #241443 by HansNOR
i loosened both the top and lower clamp - but on my bike the top of the of the tube is to be set 2mm from the edge of the upper clamp - thus having a great grip on the cap.

patton - yes - i would imagine it would have to, and thats what i've been doing :)

i might do what you say link - and mount it just above the top clamp next time. that would def. make it easier :)

As you can all tell i'm new at the bike thing - and i do appreciate all feedback i'm getting :)

- last question - is it hard to get the cap to thread correctly when fitting it ? with the spring causing tension i mean ?

More
12 Oct 2008 12:02 #241448 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic fork oil change 81 KZ 650 SR
HansNOR wrote:

i loosened both the top and lower clamp...
is it hard to get the cap to thread correctly when fitting it ? with the spring causing tension i mean ?

It is sinfully easy to strip the ultra-fine soft male cap threads by getting it cross-threaded when attempting to begin screwing it into the steel female threaded tube top.

Probably better methods, but I use a large socket to press the cap down against the spring to initial contact with the tube, then very carefully -- aligning by sight and feel -- get the cap started into the tube with the threads properly aligned. Sometimes it takes several attempts to get it started just right. And when it starts right, it's usually easy to tell.

And BTW, when loosening the top cap, am thinking the top fork tube clamp should be loosened, but the lower fork tube clamp should remain tight to prevent the tube from turning as the cap is being turned.

As to pressurizing the air-assisted forks, on dirt bikes I use a bicycle tire hand pump (instead of a foot pump), if that makes any difference. The main idea being not to blow the seals with air compressor psi.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD