750E handling

• kneedragger80
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Aug 2008 08:56 #230833 by kneedragger80
750E handling was created by kneedragger80
I have a 750E1 w/ 20K that handles like it has a mind of its own.

Details:
New Progressive fork springs
Changed fork oil to 15w
New needle bearings in the stem
New chain and sprockets (to 530, changed ratio slightly from stock).
New Bridgestones, 110/90 front, 120/90 rear (the same size and brand that were on the bike last year, broken in w/ roughly 500 miles on the new set, 41 psi per tire).

The front to rear wheel alignment is good (set w/ a string). Both tires seem to be wearing dead center on the tire.

I have not changed the wheel bearings or rear shocks. The wheels appear solidly mounted, no discernible shucking back and forth. Swing arm bushing is a question mark?

Rider (me) 6'1", 190. Should also mention the stock seat shape sucks, it's constantly sending me into the tank.

Last year it handled like crap! So I put the time into the chassis over the winter. The front end is now solid, the rear still somewhat harsh but still solid.

Problem - At cruising speed say 65, it handles alright, not great. But through 30-45 mph corners, if I even think about turning in I end up way inside before I know it. I've tried to change my riding style, stay out wide, pick a spot, countersteer in, throttle off the corner, but even then I find myself having to constantly correct!

I've read reviews (Cycle mag?) about the bike and they mentioned handling being deficient. Anyone have any suggestions before I send this bike into the ditch, leave it there and walk home?

80 KZ750E
84 GPZ1100
NY US
. . . I used to do a little but a little wouldn t do it so a little got more and more . . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2008 09:19 #230836 by Markster90
Replied by Markster90 on topic 750E handling
If i find myself drifting out of track around corner I give it a little throttle. The bike corners better under throttle. You have to get used to it but if your heading somewhere you don't want to head, TAKE control of the bike with power. the same rules go for a race car, water craft...
Try it in a parking lot or open area. corner with no throttle, the try the same under power. Know your tires and how they grab the road. carefully learn to trust your tires and how far your can lean them. Whatch for dirt or gravel.

More
08 Aug 2008 09:24 - 08 Aug 2008 09:27 #230838 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic 750E handling
At those lower speeds when I turn my KZ650 a little it turns a lot. I was surprised at first but put it down to these modern (to me, I hadn't ridden in 30 years) tires with almost no grips on them. :unsure:

Did I mention that this bike was real nimble in traffic. :cheer:

As far as carving through a corner I have never had problems but my rear swing arm bushings are solid and tight. :dry:

Best of success. :)

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Last edit: 08 Aug 2008 09:27 by bill_wilcox100.

More
08 Aug 2008 10:03 #230842 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 750E handling
If you've never greased the swingarm bushings/bearings, then that's probably the cause.

Why 41 psi in the tires? Isn't that a little higher than it calls for?

I have an 80 KZ750E but it's got Suzuki GSX front end with GPz750 swingarm and 17" radial tires on it, so I don't have a clue what stock air pressures are.

KD9JUR

• kneedragger80
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Aug 2008 10:24 #231373 by kneedragger80
Replied by kneedragger80 on topic 750E handling
I greased the swing arm bushing, dialed up the preload on the rear and lowered the air pressure in the tires about 3 psi (side wall did in fact call for 41 psi cold). The handling is better now, not great, but better. Also spent a bit of time thinking about what I was doing and tried to change some things, we'll see.

The seat though has got to go. Doesn't fit right for me at all. I guess I'll try and work on reshaping the seat somehow and recover it.

Thanks to all, great advice as always here!

80 KZ750E
84 GPZ1100
NY US
. . . I used to do a little but a little wouldn t do it so a little got more and more . . .

More
11 Aug 2008 11:50 #231380 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 750E handling
If you are going to reshape the seat an electric carving knife works great on shaving the foam. Just keep it straight and don't shake or more hills and valleys to sit on.

If you are not comfortable doing it yourself any local uphostery shops will do it for little $.

Check the rear shock hardware and the condition of the shocks, are they original to the bike?

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
11 Aug 2008 13:15 #231392 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 750E handling
The pressure listed on the sidewall is "maximum" cold air pressure, good for fuel mileage but not to good for anything else. Look in your manual for proper tire pressure, probably something like 30 front 32 rear.

With 41 psi you probably felt a bump every time you crossed a painted line :D

KD9JUR

• kneedragger80
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Aug 2008 06:49 #231547 by kneedragger80
Replied by kneedragger80 on topic 750E handling

With 41 psi you probably felt a bump every time you crossed a painted line

Wasn't quite that bad but close.

I'll get the pressures down and see how it is. When I got the bike I went through the periodic maint. part of the owners manual, changed all the fluids etc, changed the tires and all, thought I was good for the time being. Just aggravating to miss something so rudimentry as tire pressure! :whistle::blush:

The seat 'll have to wait 'till the winter. I lost too much riding time earlier this summer doing other work on the bike. Thanks for the tip re the carving knife! I'll be looking for a spare seat pan to experiment on rather chopping up the old one and being stuck in the garage.

Thanks again to all!!!!

80 KZ750E
84 GPZ1100
NY US

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
12 Aug 2008 08:58 #231575 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic 750E handling
I know you said you had new springs up front, but do they require any spacers? did they have a good bit of tension on them when you capped the forks? What about the fluid and seals?

To me (and I have very little experience so grain of salt here) that the steering geometry is out a but and the steering has become "twitchy," are the forks and shocks stock length? have you dropped the forks down any??

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.