Handlebar grips?

More
07 Aug 2008 14:03 #230688 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Handlebar grips?
Treeman wrote:

Thanks Guys,

My stock grips do not provide any anti-vibration relief.

That's why I switched to the thick foam grips many years back. JC Whitney used to sell them.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2008 14:59 #230896 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Handlebar grips?
i bought the oury grips from z1...i think theyre great. nice and soft but not mooshy. i used the grab ons for 15 yrs before these and i love em

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

More
09 Aug 2008 06:33 - 09 Aug 2008 06:34 #230959 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Handlebar grips?
I'm a big fan of Grab Ons myself. Yes, they are larger but really help with the bad vibes.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Aug 2008 06:34 by Bluemeanie.

More
09 Aug 2008 08:03 - 09 Aug 2008 08:05 #230968 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Handlebar grips?
I'm using these and like them.

I was originaly concerned that Grab Ons were too soft and would tear... but I'm not hearing that from anyone here so... I may try a pair of Grab Ons next season.

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Aug 2008 08:05 by bill_wilcox100.

More
09 Aug 2008 09:25 #230983 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Handlebar grips?
All those grips you guys are mentioning and picturing make me :X
I've tried them and would rather have my hands vibrate like a paint shaker than resort to any of them ever again.
The way I deal with vibration is use stock grips and if vibration gets bothersome move the hands out to the very outside of the grips for a few minutes, or grip the grips with just a couple fingers for a little while. Anything to move the hands around a little. This worked good enough for me even on 1000 mile days on the road.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
09 Aug 2008 10:21 #231004 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Handlebar grips?
Each bike and each person has different needs.

The hand size, the handlebars, the throttle action and esp. the engine vibration all help dictate what you need.

On my bikes, I don't like the heavily damped grips. I like to feel what the bike is doing - esp. if pushing the bike are into corners. Some of the gel filled grips feel too remote for my liking. I don't object to some of the Kawasaki grips - the original Z1 grips are palm shreading grips. The later KZ grips are not too bad.

My personal favorite is the Oury grips. I like the rubber composition. Very grippy on the hands - they do not become slippery if wet. Relatively small diameter, so probably not a good choice for anyone with big hands.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
09 Aug 2008 10:23 - 09 Aug 2008 10:27 #231005 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Handlebar grips?
Anyone tried the Gel grips? I have been thinking about it but would like to hear other's experiences first.

The foam grips work fairly well for me (I have large hands) but I'd like to find something that works even better.

Edit:

I see Jeff posted about the Gel grips, but other's experiences would be appreciated.

GPzInfested bought a pair of the Oury grips from Z1 Enterprises, when he gets them installed on the Turbo I'll try them out and see how they work for me.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 09 Aug 2008 10:27 by steell.

More
09 Aug 2008 16:00 #231050 by RonKZ650
I promised Jeff I would no longer generalize aftermarket stuff as all bad and I'm sure all these grips may work just great, but
am I the only one that thinks they are ugly? To me it's no different than a king/queen seat ect. Don't work for my eyes, so they won't be on my bikes regardless:)

More
09 Aug 2008 16:52 #231055 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Handlebar grips?
I don't get it Ron....ugly? They're grips. If I wanted pretty grips I'd get some chrome rubber O-ring Hurley grips. I have had gels and at first they are pretty comfortable but they don't seem to last too long with me. Plus I have a bad habit of grabbing a bike to move with chem on my hands and no grip is going to stand for that! I just ordered some Oury's from Z1. Im installing them Tuesday...stay tuned. I don't mind the foamies with gloves on but I don't like them barehanded. Plus I like the Crampbuster and don't think the thick foamies would get along with it.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
09 Aug 2008 17:16 #231059 by RonKZ650
I guess I can't explain it, and admittedly I'm "different". To me anything that doesn't look original doesn't look right. For me that goes pretty much with everything. I'm a TV repairman and flat can't stand it when sets come in with the wrong screws holding the back on from previous botched repair attempts. So does it really matter Sony uses philips screws and RCA used 1/4" hex screws? To me it does. I'll search through a box of screws for 30 minutes to get the right screws on there and say "that's better". Yes, I am different than most I guess.:)

More
09 Aug 2008 19:16 #231073 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Handlebar grips?
RonKZ650 wrote:

I guess I can't explain it, and admittedly I'm "different". I'll search through a box of screws for 30 minutes to get the right screws on there and say "that's better". Yes, I am different than most I guess.:)

Whew! Hope you don't charge by the hour!:woohoo: :woohoo: :blink:

I do like and appreciate "originality" but I also like and appreciate individuality. If I can make something easier, more comfortable or just more to my likin' ...kool. If your bike floats your er..floats then double kool. I do have to say your bikes are outstanding and are not garage queens so you get real props. But you're still not working on my TV for an hourly rate! And by original Kaw grips you don't mean those porcupine (ribbed for her pleasure) grips do you? :huh:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
09 Aug 2008 23:57 #231100 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Handlebar grips?

I do like and appreciate "originality" but I also like and appreciate individuality. If I can make something easier, more comfortable or just more to my likin' ...kool. If your bike floats your er..floats then double kool.

My sentiments exactly!

I don't care at all if it's stock or not, all I care about is how it works for me. I am not going to fit myself to the bike, I'm going to make the bike fit me.

And I replace phillips screws with hex screws whenever possible :D :D

KD9JUR