front brakes....is it normal for them to...

More
24 Jul 2008 10:27 #228060 by cannibal440
front brakes....is it normal for them to... was created by cannibal440
while testing the front brakes on my kz650 (dual calipers) i noticed that when just using the front and trying to brake hard it wants to pull one way or another sometimes if im slightly leaning in that direction. is that normal or should they brake evenly even when leaned?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2008 11:38 #228075 by supercharged
Replied by supercharged on topic front brakes....is it normal for them to...
I would look to elevate the from wheel and spin the wheel to determin if there is excessive drag, especially from one side... check again with light pressure. You will be able to hear the drag, and my consern would be that one caliper is freezing or less reactive.

Mike D
- 79 KZ1000 LTD Supercharged
- 80 KZ1000 1105cc Pridmore/Vetter tribute
- 79 Honda CBX
- 03 Z1000 Mod
- 80 KZ1000 LTD Modified
- 80 KZ1000 LTD PROJECT on Hold
- 78 KZ1000/900 - Street big block
- 78 KZ1000-NEEDS HELP!
- 80 CBX -Project STARTED
- 81 GPZ1100
- GSRX1200
- 80 CB750F supersport......

More
24 Jul 2008 12:04 #228081 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic front brakes....is it normal for them to...
cannibal440 wrote:

while testing the front brakes on my kz650 (dual calipers) i noticed that when just using the front and trying to brake hard it wants to pull one way or another sometimes if im slightly leaning in that direction. is that normal or should they brake evenly even when leaned?

I think if you are leaning and hit the front brake, it will tend to pull toward the direction you are leaning.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
24 Jul 2008 12:36 #228085 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic front brakes....is it normal for them to...
Does a bike with a single front rotor pull when you brake? I don't know, I have a dual rotor in front, and it's been too long since I rode a single rotor bike. But I don't think it should pull, even if only one caliper is braking. Braking when you're leaning in a curve tends to make the bike stand up and straighten out. That's why its important not to brake hard in the middle of the turn. Right?

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
24 Jul 2008 14:34 #228099 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic front brakes....is it normal for them to...
"Braking when you're leaning in a curve tends to make the bike stand up and straighten out. That's why its important not to brake hard in the middle of the turn. Right?"

CORRECT

+1 on determining caliper drag. If neither caliper is dragging and you're still noticing funny braking it might be time to flush your fluid, replace brake pads, rebuild calipers and MC.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
24 Jul 2008 17:23 #228116 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic front brakes....is it normal for them to...
I would check the bearings in the wheel. Even if only one caliper is working it won't make it pull. But, if the bearing on that side have a bit of play then yes it would pull because it would cock the wheel a bit. And you want to straighten the wheel before you brake, not doing so is an easy way to dump the bike. If you get used to having the wheel straight all the time, in an emergency stop, and we all have them once in a while, you will automatically straighten the wheel. Same as automatically counter steering in an emergency.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• Calhoun
  • User
  • Hayabusa= I ride to the strip club in flip flops
More
24 Jul 2008 19:49 #228152 by Calhoun
Replied by Calhoun on topic front brakes....is it normal for them to...
You may also have a line expanding. Insead of making pressure the line swells.

80 IT175, 84 XL200, XT250, 95 ST1100 96 xr650l (30k miles),kz1000, KX250 97'
Last and most important 93 KX500.

More
25 Jul 2008 09:52 #228259 by cannibal440
Replied by cannibal440 on topic front brakes....is it normal for them to...
i flushed the fluid out and put fresh in (by pouring it in the res and pumping it out of each caliper one at a time. some dark brown fluid came out. no help. i pumped the MC till i had good pressure then ziptied it to the handle for about 12 hours. no help. i dont have consistent pressure. sometimes i have good strong pressure on the handle and other times it'll pull in much further. rotors dont feel warped...they pull smooth. brake pads have plenty of material left and rotors dont have any bad trenches in them. rear brake is consistent. i have a harley with single rotor on front and ive never had a problem like this.

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
26 Jul 2008 07:41 - 26 Jul 2008 07:43 #228412 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic front brakes....is it normal for them to...
on my way home from work alot i notice that the pavement isnt flat, when i hit my front brake on these areas at lights the wheel wants to climb the rut in the asphalt alot depending on the side of the rut that i am rolling on.

It could only be the surface of the street you are running on, getting a power bleeder would help alo, but tearing down your front brake system and installing new seals wouldnt hurt and its fairly cheap to do.

it could also be a steering stem on the tripples that is semi loose, but tight enough that you cant notice it without the bike being jacked up in the front off the ground. pressure from the weight of the bike off the frontend will let you feel if its looser than it should be, then just tighten it.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2008 07:43 by ran429.