kz550 front end options

More
17 Jul 2008 11:27 #226711 by Hagphish
kz550 front end options was created by Hagphish
I have an '81 kz550 with something out of whack in the front end. It is good enough to ride cause I don't get a death shake until about 110, and that's as fast as the bike can go. I think the upper tree is bent from a crash the former owner had about 5 years ago.

My question is: Are there any upgraded front ends that will be simple and easy to put on this frame? Any newer style trees fit on the neck? Thanks.

\'81 KZ550
\'99 XLS

Whatever puts wind in your face

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2008 09:41 #226896 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic kz550 front end options
High speed wobble is often caused by a worn rear tire. What's your rear tire look like?

To see if the forks are bent, get the front end off the ground. Loosen the fork pinch bolts and rotate the fork tube inside the clamps. If it spins evenly, it's ok. If it spins easy then binds, repeatedly in the same place as you spin it all the way around, then it's bent.

More
18 Jul 2008 11:12 #226906 by Hagphish
Replied by Hagphish on topic kz550 front end options
Well, my rear tire was very worn, so I got a new one (pull off from Hardly Davidson) And it still didn't help.

I was replacing the sprockets and chain as well, and I had a friend helping me with it. Of course, I should have checked his work because he didn't adjust the right side of the axle when adjusting the chains tension. I corrected it and it seems to be just fine now.

On a side note, I lost all braking power from the rear drum last night. It was dark so I just parked it, and forgot about the brake problem when I woke up to drive to work. When I got to work I noticed that the screw that holds the spline tight was missing. Duh! I got a new one and I am happy. I hope I get at least a solid day of riding before having to repair anything again. I suppose that's part of owning a 27 year old bike. I still love it though.

\'81 KZ550
\'99 XLS

Whatever puts wind in your face