Would you guys trust a tire plug?

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
02 Jun 2008 04:26 #217318 by riverroad
Would you guys trust a tire plug? was created by riverroad
Saturday I went riding and ended up with a piece of sheet metal in my rear tire. Felt her get kinda squishy in the rear, so I took it straight home. Made it without the tire getting too hot.
Just bought the damned thing end of last season.
So yesterday, I whipped out the old tire plug kit and plugged it. Rode around town with it, but never went over 30mph.
Now I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I like to let her do what she was designed to do, but I'm a little leary of letting her scream and the tire plug popping out at say 100mph.
I also squirted some of that Green Slime tire goo into it.
What do you all think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2008 04:31 #217321 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Would you guys trust a tire plug?
id buy a new tire. why fool around ? loosing one at speed can be quite tricky. for the peace of mind thats what id do. youll kick yourself when you dismount that old one full of goo too lol

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
02 Jun 2008 05:12 #217325 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Would you guys trust a tire plug?
Yeah, I guess I'll go ahead and replace the tire, along with a few other odds and ends she needs. Needs a front tire too. Throttle cables, powder coat the header etc.
And I knew I was probably going to regret putting the goo in my tire.:laugh:
As much as I need her for daily transportation, considering gas prices, I need to take her out of service for a bit.
And I finally just got her jetted right too. Damn.

More
02 Jun 2008 05:14 #217326 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Would you guys trust a tire plug?
One word (assuming that the tire has plenty of tread left)...tube:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
02 Jun 2008 05:22 #217327 by riverroad
Tubing it is another great option, but now I gotta get all that green crap outta there. I guess if I'm gonna put a tube in it, I oughta go ahead and put an internal patch over the hole too.
Just gotta find out if my pressure washer will clean that green crap out of it.
Thanks Mcdroid!

More
02 Jun 2008 05:34 - 02 Jun 2008 05:36 #217332 by Mellvis
Replied by Mellvis on topic Would you guys trust a tire plug?
My theory is that all of these ideas are great when you have four wheels and some steel around you with air bags and seat belts and such. I would wonder about tubes in a tubeless wheel. I've heard that the tire bead is different, and what about rim locks? I say for what a good new tire costs you would be much safer to go that route. We have enough to worry about when we're around cars and squids. Why have to worry about a tire coming undone.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2008 05:36 by Mellvis.

More
02 Jun 2008 06:37 - 02 Jun 2008 06:40 #217349 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Would you guys trust a tire plug?
Depends upon how big the cut is if it is a small puncture a tube will work just fine. Mechanics put tubes in tubeless tires all the time. I ask them why and they reply "added insurance". The only down side is that the tread will not last quite as long. All of the old bikes have them. I would make sure to have it balanced after as my rear tire was out of balance and gave a slight shake in the handlebars from time to time. After I got my last flat I had the tire balanced and the wobble went away.
I have run over nails on my bike and gotten flats at high speed three times. My first flat was at 90+ miles an hour. I heard something like a gun shot ducked and when I got to the stop light my bike was so happy her tail was waggin'. Ran over a nail.
Now the front tire? You need to replace that like yesterday if it even looks suspicious. I wouldn't waste any time. I would replace even if it had a little dry rot but certainly if the treads were worn out. I can't imagine getting a front flat.
It pays to buy the best tires your money can buy for the bike and if you are running a cheap tire in back now would be the time to buy two good ones. Like we all say two wheels is less than four.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200
Last edit: 02 Jun 2008 06:40 by saxjonz.

More
02 Jun 2008 06:43 #217351 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Would you guys trust a tire plug?
Also, I don't think a patch might be a good idea for the balance of the tire if the hole is small tube it if tire is good if not buy two good tires and keep the set matched.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
02 Jun 2008 06:58 #217354 by riverroad
Decisions decisions...
Front tire has plenty of tread, but is howing some very slight cracking in the sidewalls. Plus the front stem has this strange cut in it, so yeah, front's gotta go.
That back tire is a Chen Ching (or something like that).
Wasn't the most expensive, but it seemed a decent tire.
Might go ahead and fork out the big bucks for front and rear Avons this time.
With the price of gas the way it is, I think I can convince my wife that two Avons will save money in the long run, considering my Nissan Titan drinks gas like it's going out of style.

More
02 Jun 2008 07:34 #217364 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Would you guys trust a tire plug?
I woulkd run the tube in it until you can buy new tires, I think you are going to have to use some solvent to get that crap out of the tire and rim, I used to hate it when people would put it in the tires and not tell you, get the crap all over everything.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
02 Jun 2008 08:18 #217372 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic Would you guys trust a tire plug?
Personally, I would replace them both. But then again, My speedo spends a lot of time in the triple digits. ;) :whistle:

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
02 Jun 2008 08:45 #217381 by riverroad
Yeah, :whistle:, I spend some time up there in triple digit land myself.
As in Saturday morning. I cruised passed some guys on Harleys, and one of them caught up with me and gunned his and pointed down the road. So I nodded and just rolled the throttle back. Didn't even down shift.
Turns out that his Harley wasn't stock. Usually I like to watch the rear view mirror and watch them Harleys slowly disappear. This one didn't give up so easy. Kept lookin in the mirror, but I kept not seeing him. He was actually keeping up with me for a while, but then he started finally fading back. I was rapping along at about 8500 rpm when I finally saw him let off, so I did too. I had to ask him how many inches his was. He yelled "1500"!
Still beat him though.
Then I wondered how many thousands of dollars it cost him to still get beat by a thirty year old 1000 dollar almost stock bike.:laugh: