Best way to cut wheel spacers?

More
16 Apr 2008 20:56 #207045 by toadson
Best way to cut wheel spacers? was created by toadson
In order to finish my GS1100 swingarm swap, I need to cut down some 7/8" spacers for the rear axle. I've been trying to think of a way to cut down the spacers I have, as they need to be 11/16" length and cut as square as possible. I'm broke, or else I would turn to the machine shop to do it for me. I know there are people out there who cut down wheel spacers on their own, but I'm not sure how they do it and get a square spacer in the end. I have some tools available such as a cutoff wheel and air powered hacksaw, but neither is really practical to make a perfect cut. I'm interested in seeing some of the ways that any of you have cut down a spacer, without using something like a lathe (which would be nice to have). Let me know, because I want to ride my bike again! Thanks!

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2008 22:47 #207068 by cmmman
Replied by cmmman on topic Best way to cut wheel spacers?
When i was in school learning to be a machinist onr of the first projects we had involved squaring up a piece of stock that had been cut with a band saw using just a file. The filed ends had to be square w/i .010 over like 3 inches. Cut the spacer as close as you can and leave a little to file. Use a good square to check as go.

A sharp file can really remove metal if needed. Files only cut in one direction, but for heavy removal draw filing can work well and will leave a smoother surface.

or u could try a grinder with a flap wheel.

1977 KZ650B, modified.

More
19 Apr 2008 19:17 #207702 by FloridaBiker
Replied by FloridaBiker on topic Best way to cut wheel spacers?
I agree with the hand file approach.
Tip on technique: Set a micrometer or caliper to the correct thickness and use it as a "Go/No-Go" gauge. Check frequently as you file.

More
21 Apr 2008 15:13 #208050 by leboeuf
Replied by leboeuf on topic Best way to cut wheel spacers?
If you're going to try freehanding it with a hacksaw, at least make a jig to get your angle roughly correct.

More
22 Apr 2008 09:26 #208208 by TheTrout
Replied by TheTrout on topic Best way to cut wheel spacers?
I have not tried this yet, but I always thought you could put one of those metal cutting disks for your circular saw on a standard chop saw that you would use for wood. If you took your time I realy don't think it would damage the saw any and also it's aluminum, right? You should get a good square cut from a properly setup chop saw.

1978 KZ1000B2

More
25 Apr 2008 19:11 - 25 Apr 2008 19:12 #209133 by Saki Jockey
Replied by Saki Jockey on topic Best way to cut wheel spacers?
What part of the world are you in toadson? Maybe one of us with access to a machine shop could help?

Rob A.
550 A4
GTA,
Ontario, Canada
Last edit: 25 Apr 2008 19:12 by Saki Jockey.

More
26 Apr 2008 20:16 #209356 by tool maker
Replied by tool maker on topic Best way to cut wheel spacers?
I live in Lancaster,PA
Send them to me and I will face them to length for ya.

Or better yet, give me the dimensions and I'll send you new ones.

Doug. Machine shop and KZ owner

Lancaster, PA

82 KZ1000 M2, stage 3 jet kit, pods, 4 into 1 Mac, Accel coils & wires.

More
28 Apr 2008 22:31 #209958 by toadson
Replied by toadson on topic Best way to cut wheel spacers?
I guess I should have updated this after I figured out a way to sand them down evenly. I wouldnt even know where to begin to explain how I did it, but now I have two spacers that are nearly perfect. I would have had the bike running with the new swingarm, but my chain was a bit too short. Got a new one on the way and it SHOULD be here tomorrow. My next quest is going to be finding some proper shocks, and then figuring ou a chain guard and the swap should be complete. Thank you for the kind offers, this is truly a great forum.

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872