2012 Triumph Bonneville SE black

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
Fresh top end rebuild
Rebuilt head
Wiseco 1015 pistons
Dyna s
Green Dyna coils
Wired george mod

It is easier to say what I haven't replaced then what I have.

I must love this cruel mistress since she hates me
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2008 18:38 #206512 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic problem mounting my rear wheel
XL777 wrote:

Great input everyone. However, on my bike yes I did have to remove it all :angry: it was a biatch to do, but I learned a lot. The reason it all had to come off was due to the fact the caliper is mounted to a bracket and that is mounted on the axel. As well the head of the axel was placed on the right side rather then the left side, making removing the axel nut and sliding the axel out part way not possible. Believe me if there was any other way to do this I would have. I even bought the wrong pads because my bike is "special" the clymer manual doesn't even make reference to my bike haha.

when we did it we just removed the bolts/slides and installed them after caliper was on.;) worked in our case anyway:)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
14 Apr 2008 19:50 #206529 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic problem mounting my rear wheel
I'm still at a little loss as to the axle thing fixing the washer problem. According to your pictures the axle is now in opposite of how it's supposed to be. From the factory the bolt went through from the left side with the nut on the right side, but even so it makes no difference really. The washer is outside the chain adjuster placed on right before the axle nut.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
14 Apr 2008 19:56 #206532 by XL777
Replied by XL777 on topic problem mounting my rear wheel
You are right it is on the wrong side, thus why I was having a problem reading the diagram. For some reason the last owner had it set up that way, so when I put it all back together I put it back the way I found it. That is why when I looked at the diagram the damn washer was on the right side. LOL I'm too lazy to change it now, so if I have to do it again I will correct it.

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
Fresh top end rebuild
Rebuilt head
Wiseco 1015 pistons
Dyna s
Green Dyna coils
Wired george mod

More
14 Apr 2008 20:35 #206549 by rdgrnr
Replied by rdgrnr on topic problem mounting my rear wheel
According to Kawi, the same rear caliper was used on all 77-80 Ltd's and 80 G1. And by my Kawasaki 1000 service manual, all that was needed to change pads, was too flip up the cover, and remove the clips and pins. I also have the 79 supplement, and it states that the procedure is the same as the manual states. Well, it looks like you are learning as you go, which is what I pretty much as I had to do.:)
Have funB)

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
78 GL1000 Naked Wing Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
15 Apr 2008 19:09 #206778 by XL777
Replied by XL777 on topic problem mounting my rear wheel
Moral of the story. There is always an exception to the manual and to the norm ;) It is all set up now. One problem down too many to list to go

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
Fresh top end rebuild
Rebuilt head
Wiseco 1015 pistons
Dyna s
Green Dyna coils
Wired george mod

More
15 Apr 2008 21:00 - 15 Apr 2008 21:14 #206805 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic problem mounting my rear wheel
I believe XL777 is correct in needing to remove the rear wheel to change the brake pads on his '78KZ1000LTD, because its rear caliper has no removeable pad cover and is a different design than the standard model rear caliper with removeable pad cover.

The '78KZ1000LTD rear caliper looks virtually identical to the '76KZ900LTD rear caliper whose FSM supp. instruction for rear caliper pad replacement begins
Step 1. Remove the rear wheel.

In this case, the disc must be removed from between the pads in order to remove and replace the pads. Attempted disassembly of the LTD's rear caliper to remove it from the holder and allow pad replacement without removing the wheel would likely ruin the internal rubber dust covers and other rubber parts fitted around the slider bolts. If there's a way to remove and replace the slider bolts without damaging and displacing the internal rubber parts, I haven't figured it out yet. :unsure:

Here's the '78KZ1000LTD rear caliper.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Apr 2008 21:14 by Patton.