Found fork seal leak and new front end on same day? Lookin for tips on swap

More
12 Apr 2008 18:44 #205979 by jrjstuff
Ok so today I discovered this:

Then I looked locally for some new seals. No one with them in stock. Then I found these!! Off of an 83 GPZ 750! The price was unbeatable especially when it came with the master cyl, both callipers, both bars are straight and all of the bar controls. For $90 I think I did ok. But now that I have them home I see that I may have a big challenge as far as getting my heallight bucket and guages to mount.
Here are some pics of the front end and what the headlight and guages that are on my bike look like!

and now mine.

Looking for tips becore I dive into this! Thanks in advance!!

Jeff
83 KZ750 ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2008 21:04 #206006 by PLUMMEN
are the fork tubes same diameter? if they are id just swap the legs and keep your triple trees.is axle same diameter as your stock,or do you need to swap wheel bearings?;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
13 Apr 2008 08:25 #206106 by jrjstuff
The GPZ tubes are larger than my LTD tubes. That was one of the first things I checked!

Jeff
83 KZ750 ltd

More
13 Apr 2008 09:59 #206118 by steell
What year model is your bike?

The 83-85 GPz750 fork tubes are 37mm diameter.

You can get bearings from All Balls to adapt the steering stem to the neck on your bike. There is a steering stem bearing list in the Filebase (under the KZ Information tab at the top) that will give you the bearing numbers for the GPz750 and your bike, look up the specs for those bearing numbers and find the OD, ID, and height/width. Then call All Balls and tell them the OD and height/width of your stock bearings and the ID of the GPz750 bearings, and they will fix you up with the appropriate bearings and seals, for around $36-$40.

We have a 83 GPz750 front end on a 79 KZ650SR, and the GPz750 aluminum swingarm modified for dual shocks. :)

We used the GPz750 gauges (since we used the GPz750 motor and needed an electronic tach), but still working on mounting a headlight.

Here's a lousy picture of the 79 KZ650SR, it looks better in real life. The wheel leaning aginst teh front of the John Deere is a GSX750 rear wheel for my 80 KZ750E, the GSX750 front end ia already on the 750E, just need to get someone to TIG weld the shock mounts on the GPz750 swingarm for the 750 so I can mount the rear wheel.

KD9JUR
Attachments:

More
13 Apr 2008 11:10 #206124 by jrjstuff
It is an 83 KZ 750 ltd! So I can not remove the race from my current lower tree and put it on the new tree? I am fearful that I may be biting off more than I can chew especially if I want to ride it soon. It is my only bike. Here are some pics

The needle bearings on the new front end

My front end minus the tubes

Jeff
83 KZ750 ltd

More
13 Apr 2008 14:48 #206163 by cmmman
You can probably get new fork seals from bike bandit or Z1 for like 10 bucks or so. Might take a couple days to ship and they're pretty easy to put in. Just a thought to get that thing back riding a bit quicker.

1977 KZ650B, modified.

More
15 Apr 2008 10:21 #206669 by jrjstuff
Well I put my old front end back on and will be ordering some new seals for now but... I really like the GPZ front end beings it has the bars, larger tubes, the anti-dive etc... If anyone has done this project I really could use some tips. I imagine I will be able to come up with some sort of fabrication to get the headlight bucket/guage pack/indicator/ignition assembly mounted but I am wondering if anyone else has attempted this? Steel brought to my attention the need for a bearing swap. Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks!

Jeff
83 KZ750 ltd

More
15 Apr 2008 13:23 #206701 by steell
Well, it's either use adapter bearings from All Balls, or press the stem out of the KZ750H and mount it in the GPz750 lower clamp and adapt the top clamp to fit, or machine a new stem that fits the GPz750 lower and your stock bearings.

By far the easiest thing to do is call All Balls and tell them you need SSK902 bearings with the same OD as SSK400 bearings to adapt the GPz750 stem to your steering neck. The SSK numbers are from the wheel bearings list in the Filebase, so you may want to confirm that your bike does indeed use the SSK400 bearings (I'm fairly certain the SSK902 is correct for the GPz).

I have a 99 Suzuki GSX750 front end on my 1980 KZ750E1, and all it took was adapter bearings and a bit of filing on the top clamp (I cheated and used my vertical mill with a flycutter though).

KD9JUR

More
15 Apr 2008 16:50 #206746 by jrjstuff
Boy I wish I had a garage full of machine shop tools but... I dont! I will look into the AllBalls place and go about it that way. You had mentioned that you still hadnt mounted your headlight either, what sort of problems are you having?

Jeff
83 KZ750 ltd

More
15 Apr 2008 23:30 #206820 by donthekawguy
For your headlight you can get a couple of those generic clamps. I think Jeff has them and they might have been used on the big LTD's. I'll look around and post a pic if I find them.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
16 Apr 2008 04:57 #206832 by steell
It's not actually me that is having the problem with the headlight, it's my Nephew, GPzInfested :)
We share the shop.

83-85 GPz750 fork tubes are 37mm in diameter.

Since we have all the metalworking machinery in the shop, we feel pretty dumb buying parts that we should be able to make, but we have so many projects going on at once that sometimes buying a part seems the best thing to do.

And, since he bought the GPz750 Turbo, the pressure to get his KZ650/GPz750 finished so he can ride has been removed.

KD9JUR

More
16 Apr 2008 07:18 #206855 by jrjstuff
Thanks for all the help guys! I really wish I had a second bike so I could ride one and focus my attention on another, that would be really fun, but the economy here in CA just isnt allowing that for me in my prof. So any projects I do I try to get them done during the week so I can ride on teh weekends! I will keep this you posted on my progress!

Jeff
83 KZ750 ltd