No Brake Pressure on Dual Front Brakes

More
31 Mar 2008 07:33 #203239 by sramsey216
No Brake Pressure on Dual Front Brakes was created by sramsey216
Ok I've searched through the forum (it's quite possible I missed something) and I've tried all the troubleshooting techniques but now I'm at a loss.

I have a '80 KZ 1000 with dual front brakes. I replaced all the lines and fittings as they were in rough shape. Brakes worked fine before but now I can't seem to get any pressure in the lever. I can pump fluid through the entire system with no problems. I even used a vaccum pump to attempt to remove all the air from the lines.

Again, fluid pumps fine but no pressure on the lever. Does this mean I'm doing something wrong, still have air in the lines or could this be an indication of a larger problem?

Where should I start troubleshooting? Thanks for your time and help.

1980 KZ1000 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2008 08:48 #203244 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic No Brake Pressure on Dual Front Brakes
Been there,done that.
I've posted about it before,and replied to others having the same problem.Lots of different opinions.
What I had to eventually do,when I converted to a dual front setup,was remove the calipers,and hang them at a slightly different angle.It seems as though there is a tiny pocket of air in the caliper,and by hanging them at a different angle,with the bleeder at the highest point,you CAN get to that little pocket.
I tried for DAYS,until I finally went that route.
I wedged a piece of wood into each caliper,to keep the pistons from pushing inwards,so that once I was done with the bleeding,I could easily remount them over the brake disks.
Like I said...there will be a lot of different opinions(ideas) but that one worked like a charm...for me.;)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
31 Mar 2008 09:05 #203248 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic No Brake Pressure on Dual Front Brakes
You may try wrapping a band of tape or bungee cord around the brake lever, get it close to the grip, and let it sit overnight. It opens the master cylinder ports and the air will move up. But that's usually something you do after you get some resistance. Try Sandy's method first.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
31 Mar 2008 10:01 #203262 by sramsey216
Replied by sramsey216 on topic No Brake Pressure on Dual Front Brakes
Thanks for the replies. I can't wait to get off work and get home to get these things working again. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks a bunch.

1980 KZ1000 LTD