Contaminated brake fluid.

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
18 Mar 2008 08:43 #200742 by Qdude
Contaminated brake fluid. was created by Qdude
Any suggestions as to how to best clean the lines out, barring complete replacement? I am afraid that there might be some water and or contaminant in the brake lines.

I am planning to rebuild the master cylinder.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2008 09:53 - 18 Mar 2008 09:57 #200760 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Contaminated brake fluid.
After disassembly, may use common household rubbing alcohol as a cleaning agent to remove old brake fluid residue, water and general crud, when refurbishing brake master cylinders, caliper and lines. I use a hand-sprayer attached to a plastic bottle of alcohol, which works well for this application (and some other general cleaning chores), q-tips and a toothbrush.

Afterwards, blow parts dry with pressurized air, and should then behold clean dry pristine new-looking parts.
Inspect master cylinder bore for excessive pitting. Next, dampen master cylinder piston, cups and bore with new brake fluid just before careful reassembly. And may also dampen caliper piston with new brake fluid before reassembling caliper. Best to replace all rubber items with new parts.

Fill system with new brake fluid and bleed the brakes. After bleeding, any brake fluid spilled onto exterior of master cylinder or caliper may be rinsed off with the alcohol spray.

For general quick easy routine maintenance "flushing" the brakes with new fluid without requiring extensive bleeding afterwards -- suck out most of the old fluid from the master cylinder, but don't empty the reservoir (because emptying it allows air being drawn into the system). Then fill the reservoir with new fluid (okay to leave the top cover off to monitor the level and keep it filled to above empty), and carefully and slowly bleed in the usual manner until fluid emerging from the caliper bleeder screw changes in appearance from the old stuff to the new fluid.

Test brakes for proper operation before riding the bike.
(Don't laugh. Others have learned about this the hard way.)

Good Luck! :)

P.S. Would remove or use cover on fuel tank to protect from damage or spills.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 18 Mar 2008 09:57 by Patton.

More
18 Mar 2008 10:05 #200763 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Contaminated brake fluid.
I would use a pressure bleeder to pump about a half gallon of new brake fluid through the system. If that didn't clean it out, I would plan on total disassembly to determine which bits needed to be replaced. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
18 Mar 2008 12:03 #200777 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Contaminated brake fluid.
Thanks guys, I will get some rubbing alcohol so I will not have to break into my scotch bottles for cleaning the parts.

I will take the whole system apart, calipers too. It is a beautiful day and I want to get my hands dirty.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter

More
18 Mar 2008 13:16 #200785 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Contaminated brake fluid.
you might want to change over to dot5, its going to stirr up a hornets nest, but I think it is the best stuff for brakes, dosent attract water, will not eat the paint, has a higher boiling point, just a better mouse trap

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
18 Mar 2008 14:10 #200797 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Contaminated brake fluid.
You aren't going to have any water standing in the lines, water mixes real well with brake fluid and it don't separate out.

If you take one pint of water in a quart jar and add 1 pint of brake fluid, you will have less than 1 quart of liquid in the jar.
You wouldn't believe how many times I have won money from people cause they bet me I was wrong :D

KD9JUR

More
18 Mar 2008 14:52 #200804 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Contaminated brake fluid.
damn steell, didnt know that, I knew it absorbed water but I would have figured the volume would have been greater than that

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
18 Mar 2008 17:46 #200839 by Patton
steell wrote:

You aren't going to have any water standing in the lines, water mixes real well with brake fluid and it don't separate out.

If you take one pint of water in a quart jar and add 1 pint of brake fluid, you will have less than 1 quart of liquid in the jar.
You wouldn't believe how many times I have won money from people cause they bet me I was wrong :D

Have always heard the standard (non-Dot5 silicone-based type) brake fluids readily absorbed moisture, but that Dot5 did not absorb moisture.

Am thinking to a certain extent, moisture absorption is a favorable characteristic to keep water from settling and standing inside the m/c and caliper (especially behind the piston area) and doing its corrosive thing. Periodic flushing of regular fluid serves to renew the water absorption ability. But with Dot5, though it doesn't absorb water, flushing would seem as much or more critical toward keeping any free standing moisture removed from the system.

Have heard that Dot5 is slightly more compressable than standard paint-eating brake fluid, but Dot5 may enjoy a highter permissible operating temperature (better under extreme performance/racing conditions).

Am currently using Dot3 (as printed on the mc/ covers), being careful about keeping it away from the paint, and getting along with it just fine with routine flushing.

Just my thoughts, and anxious to keep learning more.

Good Luck!

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 Mar 2008 19:21 - 18 Mar 2008 19:22 #200851 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Contaminated brake fluid.
Sheesh Patton, I was just looking at a comparison chart of different type brake fluids the other day, and you just summarized the whole chart in one post!

I should have just waited :P

KD9JUR
Last edit: 18 Mar 2008 19:22 by steell.

More
18 Mar 2008 20:27 #200868 by Patton
But no betting allowed with steell until first having a chance to put water and Dot5 in a bottle together and shake it real good to see what happens. :laugh:

Have already lost way too many bets. :ohmy:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
18 Mar 2008 22:51 #200897 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Contaminated brake fluid.
Sweeeeeeet,

After working to remove that damn C clip for an hour and 15 minutes (no kidding here) I finally got it out, probably the first time it's been removed in its 30 year tenure.

Remove the calipers and lines to flush them out with denatured alcohol, clean stuff up, meticulously, put it back together, grin gleefully, pour in some fluid and whoa! Get the drip pan out again boyz, it was the wrong rebuild kit. Fluid flowing from the area around the lever mount.

Perhaps I got the single caliper B rebuild kit, instead of the C kit.

O.k. Brake fluid all over the place and no test drive tonight.....

I, awh hell, Patience is for suckers....

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.

More
19 Mar 2008 06:30 - 19 Mar 2008 06:45 #200919 by Patton
That always happens when using too much scotch for things other than parts cleaning. :lol: At four shots per hour, that's five shots to remove the C-clip. :laugh: Sounds about right. :cheer:

But just to clarify, the caliper has no C-clip and is of course separate from the master-cylinder which does have a C-clip. So fluid leaking from the lever-mount area would be from the m/c (not the caliper, and likely unrelated to any problem with the caliper or any new rubber parts or other parts installed in the caliper).

Regarding the m/c, refurbishment usually entails replacing the rubber cups (often the pimary cup is a separate part, with the secondary cup being included as part of a new piston), and also replacing the cir-clip and rubber dust-cover. Leakage past the m/c secondary cup will exude from the m/c (out through and past the dust cover).

Regarding the caliper, leakage could be from brake line fitting, bleed screw, or faulty large rubber o-ring piston seal.

Although probably not applicable here, if equipped with the later tapezoidal shaped m/c (not the early barrel-reservoir style), there's an o-ring under the reservoir which may ultimately begin to leak, and a rubber gasket under the top cover which may have been pinched or torn or for some other reason failing to properly seal and thereby allowing fluid to leak from the top area of the m/c. The trapozoidal style m/c uses a nylon or plastic retainer in lieu of the dreaded cir-clip.

My next drink of Johnnie Walker Black on-the-rocks will be a toast in your honor. :cheer:

Good luck with the repairs. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 19 Mar 2008 06:45 by Patton.