Sprockets!

More
21 Feb 2008 17:11 #196126 by CptEDIV
Sprockets! was created by CptEDIV
I want to get new drive chain sprockets... Somethin' I've been putting off for waaay too long. I figured it be an easy thing to find, and it was, except I didn't realize you could get a specific amount of teeth on them? Should I count mine and order the same, or would I get more torque from a larger sprocket? Thanks for any help/advice.
-Ed

1979 KZ 650 D2 \"Midnight\" blue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2008 04:47 #196219 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Sprockets!
that depends on how you like the way your bike rides, you can change the size and alter the top end and or the bottom end preformance, some like to come off the line faster while others go for the crusing mode, is yours stock now

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
22 Feb 2008 06:02 #196224 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Sprockets!
I would not count teeth as they may have been changed. Your owners manual will say what stock was or is. Mine is 16/42, yours should be different with 16in rear wheel. I dropped one tooth in front (15/42) and bike pulled much harder out of the hole. RPM's went up about 500 at 70mph. Was kinda like trying to run a car with 4:56's on the freeway. Had that combo for about 10 years then I replaced with stock size and bike runs sooooo much better! Next time I might even go "up" one in front (17/42) to drop highway rpm's. Yes I talk too much, decide what kind of riding you do and then adjust accordingly. ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
22 Feb 2008 08:52 #196258 by CptEDIV
Replied by CptEDIV on topic Sprockets!
So if I wanted a little more torque, would I want a bigger rear sprocket, or both bigger? I don't want to sacrifice too much horse power but I think a little more torque would be alotta fun. :P
-Ed

More
24 Feb 2008 07:43 #196625 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Sprockets!
You would drop maybe 1 tooth on the front OR add 2-3 on the rear. I just dropped one on the front and it was a noticable differance!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
26 Feb 2008 06:29 #197042 by CptEDIV
Replied by CptEDIV on topic Sprockets!
How hard is it to take off the rear tire and change these sprockets and chain? Are there any special tools I'm gunna need?
Thanks,
Ed

More
26 Feb 2008 06:49 #197046 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Sprockets!
It not too hard Cap'n. If you have the permanantly closed chain, some people have chain breakers, but I take off the front sprocket cover that has the clutch adjuster in it. You will need at least a 21mm socket, or at least some large sockets and the socket wrench. I put my bike on the center stand and I loosened the nut for the rear wheel, removed the axel bolt, removed tire...ooo remove the nut the holds the brake calipers to the small bar that extends off the swingarm and the wheel should come off, once you push it forward to get it out of the chain. Then whatelse I did was loosened the rear shocks from the swingarm and took out the axel bolt that hold the swingarm in place and once that is dropped out of position, the chain should be free to go plus you might need a socket wrench to get off the front sprocket. I have a stanley set from walmart with everything you would need except a half inch drive extension that you will need, but it has sockets up to 30mm. A raven can remove the rear sprocket from the back wheel for you ( yes the bird) so you don't need my help there. I might of forgotten some minor details so forgive me (memory is bad for 24 year old).

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean