Rubber seals on factory chain??

More
16 Feb 2008 12:34 #194945 by AK82kz440
Rubber seals on factory chain?? was created by AK82kz440
Does anyone know if the factory chain for an 82 440 LTD has rubber o rings for seals in the links?
I am thinking of trying a ceramic coating of the chain to improve the lubrication and reduce the need to use waxes or chain lube as often. The process requires the removal and heating of the chain in the oven. Not good for rubber. My bike only has about 7000 mi on it and I'm pretty sure it is the factory chain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2008 12:46 #194952 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Rubber seals on factory chain??
Don't know when they started using O ring chains from the factory but I know my '80 KZ650 came new with just a standard chain.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
16 Feb 2008 14:39 #194980 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Rubber seals on factory chain??
If you are going to cook the chain in an oven, I don't think that will do the internal lube on the pins/rollers any good.

So how are you going to get lube back inside for the rollers and pins and get the carbonized lube out?? I suspect that you will decrease the life of the chain, not increase it.

If you can keep the temp at 200 degrees or less, then you should be ok.

Ask RonKZ650 how long a well maintained stock chain will last. IIRC, he got somewhere near 60k miles out of his.

KD9JUR

More
16 Feb 2008 19:14 #195019 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Rubber seals on factory chain??
If it's an O-ring chain, you should see the o-rings. They are between the plates and appear as a little black gap between the plates. If you look very closely you'll see the "gap" is actually the o-ring.

More
17 Feb 2008 18:15 #195223 by AK82kz440
Replied by AK82kz440 on topic Rubber seals on factory chain??
Plan is to bake at 370 to 390 for 15 min. I don't think this is enough time or temp to weaken the metal. The ceramic will be the lube on the pins and rollers. Have reports of chainsaws (known for streaching chains) after being ceramic treated not needing bar adjustments for the entire season, that's one of the reasons I'm looking into this.

More
17 Feb 2008 19:21 #195243 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Rubber seals on factory chain??
Lube, ceramic, etc, on the outside of a chain does nothing to prevent wear, it only prevents corrosion, the lube that matters is "inside" the rollers and lubricates the pin/roller interface. I'm sure your chain will look pretty after you ceramic coat it, I'm equally sure it will wear out very rapidly.

But, when it's all said and done, it's your bike so do as you like.

Just let us know how it's working out after 500 miles or so :)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2008/02/17 22:22

KD9JUR