65 plus \"wobble\"

More
26 Jan 2008 06:04 #191087 by My1stKZ750
65 plus \"wobble\" was created by My1stKZ750
1980 KZ750 LTD. Do all older kawi's have this Highway speed wobble..I've installed new tappered steering head bearings.Yes i checked for looseness in steering. Is there something to help with this wobble.? I thaught i saw back in the day there was a fork brace of some sort. Anyone know of this?? Thnx for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2008 06:30 #191091 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 65 plus \"wobble\"
There are several things that can cause a wobble, swingarm bearings, wheel bearings, tire pressures, fork bushings, etc.

Just gotta keep checking everything till you find the culprit.

And no, a wobble is not a common trait of the KZ models :)

KD9JUR

More
26 Jan 2008 07:26 #191097 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 65 plus \"wobble\"
These bikes don't wobble at all unless there is something very wrong. I would start troubleshooting this way: When did the wobble start? Did it gradually appear over time or did it just start one day? What, if any, changes were made to the bike (tires, chain/sprockets, fork oil, etc.) prior to the wobble? You mention changing steering stem bearings, did it wobble before that change? Have the tires/wheels/fork/frame been subjected to any trauma? Are the tires worn or very old, have they been balanced recently?

Basically, try to logically sort out the symptoms of the problem, when it began, and what elements of the bike could have caused it before you start changing a bunch of stuff. This may help reduce frustration, unnecessary expense, and the time needed to find the solution. Just keep in mind, there IS a solution and you shouldn't ride until you find it becasue the wobble may be a symptom of a bigger problem that could bite you in the butt. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)